Notes Collected While (Hitch)Hiking in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
The road is labeled Caribou "Valley" Road on many maps, but is signed Caribou "Pond" Road. I can report that the road is clear and only a bit muddy up to about .5 miles below the AT. After that the snow gets deeper and deeper from the steel deck bridge on up. How deep you ask? Well my all-wheel-drive Ford Escape (small SUV hybrid) is stuck to the frame in the middle of the road about .9 miles ABOVE the AT.

I missed the trailhead at 6 am and kept going on frozen snow. There are plenty of areas to turn around in the first 3.7 miles of CVR but once you cross the steel deck bridge there are no more places to turn around. So I kept going on frozen, snowmobile packed snow until I went off the side of the road. I tried rocking it and digging it out with a snowshoe for about an hour, but it just got worse. So Zippy and I hiked back down the road about 5.2 miles and started hitchhiking toward Stratton Maine. (I found the AT, careful: the air is still quite blue in the area.) FWIW the GPS coordinates for the AT are NAD83, 19 T 394094 4988234. Someone picked me up after I had hiked .5 miles and took me the 9 miles into Stratton. I could not find a store that sold a come-a-long winch or tow rope, but the general concensus was that I could get everything I needed at Jordan Lumber in Kingfield about 15 miles back past the CVR. (I didn't think I could afford the log skidder that was for sale in Stratton.) Fortunately, my ride was heading back in that direction and took me back to the market near the Sugarloaf Resort. I hitchhiked another 1.3 miles before Jean picked me up and took me to Jordan's. Bought the 2 ton come-a-long, a tow strap, and some polypro-line.

Jeff (owner of the Carrabassett Inn and Grill) picked Zippy and I up after .5 miles and took me back to CVR, and got to my car about 2pm. By this time the snow was mashed potato consistancy, and it took me 3 hours to winch the car into the middle of the road but it was not going anywhere but down into the snow. So I then hiked back down the road where I called Jeff and he came and picked me up and took me back to the Carrabassett Inn. Great burger and a couple Glen Livets later, I was feeling pretty good and tired. The wife and a friend were coming the next morning. Jeff called everybody on his contact list for me, but no one felt comfortable going up that road on a fool's errand.

Sue and a friend (Jack) got to the Inn about 9:45 and we drove up to the steel deck bridge and walked the 1.5 miles to the car but the temps were not cold enough during the night to improve anything so I just grabbed everything we could carry and walked back to the car, and headed back to NH. We saw an SUV parked near ours with Quebec plates and that may have been Timmus and Motabobo.

Other notes:
1.) Mainers are very helpful, and friendly, so hitching a ride even with a dog along did not take long.
2.) Cell phone reception ends at about the AT. It is great along much of Route 27/16 until near the Carrabassett Inn where it ends.
3.) All-Season Radials are worthless up there.
4.) I counted 15 moose along the side of the road on route 16 between Berlin, NH and Rangeley in the late evening of 4/24/08. One monster was running at full gallop on a collision course that gave me quite a scare.
5.) I counted 4 moose in morning twilight as I was driving route 16 between Rangeley and CVR. There is a young female moose hanging out about .3 miles up CVR that I saw four different times on Saturday.
6.) Deer are everywhere.
7.) About 24 miles of hiking, no peaks bagged.

New Plan: I purchased tire chains for my 4WD Explorer Sport Trac. I'll head back up this Friday evening and see if I can get it out with some additional tow lines. Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
Yes! Do it in summer dude!
This one has stupid written all over it. If I had read the map I would have had no problem finding the trailhead on the GPS and avoided the whole situation. Also, I have three come-a-longs and about 120 feet of tow chain and straps in my garage, that I had every intention of bringing. But I forgot at the last minute. Got 4 miles down the road, remembered, thought about turning around for it, and said to myself "Nah, I won't need it."

You may try looking up some farmers too. I have a relative who was in a similar situation this winter - went down a rural unplowed road and got stuck. I forget if he used a tractor or a crawler, but he was able to pull him a mile back up the hill to the plowed portion. Easier to set up if you live in the area and know people, of course, but still an idea.

Paradox said:
We saw an SUV parked near ours with Quebec plates and that may have been Timmus and Motabobo.

Nope, but we did Saddleback and The Horn saturday (plus Ledge Pond).

Almost got stuck in some logging road as well... but we had a Pontiac Vibe, which is more understandable... :p

I can't wait to hear how this came out, e-mail me if you're still stuck and need help but here's a few stories:

Debi Clark & I got her VW stuck on North-South Road, after bagging Clough we walked out to the main road and a 4wd type pulled her out free for the amusement

My sister & friend got 4Runner stuck in slick mud in CO, got ride home and came back in another car a couple days later with front wheel chains they bought (already had rear) and road had dried a little

Supposedly SueE got stuck near Greenville and had to rent car to return to NJ as tow truck drivers refused to go anywhere near until later in Spring

Last week my sister & I shovelled a short section of drift to proceed on otherwise-melted road

Wow. I am astounded you made it that far up that awful road this time of year. It is one of the nastiest roads around! Sorry you got stuck and that your hikes were on gentle, wide and sometimes asphalt trails.

On the other hand, I'm glad you got to experience the abundance of wildlife in the area.

Best regards,
Marty

Bummer. No ideas unless you know some off-road 4x4 enthusiasts - they pull themselves and each other out all the time. I got a Grand Cherokee stuck in deep mud while stocking pheasant on New Years Eve once. First truck there refused to go in but did give me a ride to town. Next day another guy came out with a long winch cable but made me go into the mud puddle to hook it on, can't blame him. Remind me to tell you about the time I sank my Chevy Monza in a New Haven parking garage while in college. Good Times.

I do not know whether to post in the stupid people thread or here. But I attempted to rescue my car yesterday and this morning but could only move it about 225 feet down the trail pulling it the whole way with a come along. I could not get my other 4x4 SUV up the CVR, even with chains on the front end. There is still 6+ inches of snow pack up there.

Only thing i cna think of that "might" get you out is a 4 wheeler with a good power winch. Hook teh a** end to a tree, and winch 'er out. Repeat. You'll winch it 20 times or more before you get out. The longer it sits there, the softer the road will get. Your best bet: before sunrise.

I once got my Dad's truck stuck up to the windows in mud. It took 2 tow trucks to get it out: one hooked to me, the other hooked to the first tow truck. That, and a little over $300... in 1975!

You're not stupid, you just need more beta on Mud Season.

FOR SALE: Ford Escape Hybrid 2007 (Make offer on phone)

The soonest I can get back up there is two weeks, by that time I will have another set of chains for the rear wheels of my other SUV. I figure all the snow will be gone, but then there is the mud to deal with. The car was fine no one had used it for target practice and the only footprints were from moose.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're still stuck. I gather there's no place nearby you could turn around, surely you could go downhill in 6" snow with 4 chains.

If you're blocking the road, the locals may move it themselves eventually :) A log skidder could do it pretty quick, don't know what rental would cost. If you can't find a local 4wd club, try a snowmobile club - they might move it with groomer for tax-deductible donation.

To SK - I once got stuck in the middle of a town road in mud season, the dump truck that pulled me out would not come close enough for one length of chain and used 2

This isn't productive, but I figured I'd say it anyways, since I imagine the sting of the whole issue probably passed days ago for you.

Perhaps you should put the vehicle up for sale on eBay as is, for buyer pick up in Carabasset Valley, ME, not making mention of the actual location :)

rocket21 said:
This isn't productive, but I figured I'd say it anyways, since I imagine the sting of the whole issue probably passed days ago for you.

Perhaps you should put the vehicle up for sale on eBay as is, for buyer pick up in Carabasset Valley, ME, not making mention of the actual location :)
Arrgh!! You've hurt me beyond all imagining! :rolleyes: So now you owe me....what you doing this Friday? How about an all expense paid trip to Maine?

By the way you can see the location on Wikiloc.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
Arrgh!! You've hurt me beyond all imagining! :rolleyes: So now you owe me....what you doing this Friday? How about an all expense paid trip to Maine?

Actually, if I had better tires on my truck (the crappy ones I have now would result in two stuck vehicles on that road) and if I didn't already have plans to eat pasta with friends, I might have taken you up on that offer. I may be up that way in a few weeks, but I'd imagine that when the road is good enough for me to risk my truck on, you'll already be unstuck.

Paradox said:
By the way you can see the location on Wikiloc.
Wow, the resolution is pretty good there, you can see 2 guys jacking up the vehicle and rolling the tires down the road! :D

Sorry John! I hope you get it unstuck soon! It must be nerve wracking! :(

I never dared to take my vehicle past that large bridge even in the summer!

Recommend you ask a local where you can hire someone with a skidder to come in and pull you out. I heard of someone that had it done for $100 a number of years ago.

I never dared to take my vehicle past that large bridge even in the summer![/QUOTE]
Sorry John for your SUV. If I returned to CVR next summer I would do like
Tom and not go to far on that road.

Ask Oncoman, he was stuck many time on small road in Maine and Vermont
for some advise.