Seymour = #43

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
After a few busy weekends and also, that the weather announcing the risks of t'storms we have finally added a mountain to our list on friday, June 13.
Earlier this week, the weather was announcing a nice day for Saturday june 14, and mid-week it was changed. The risk of thunderstorms were now high for saturday. Wednesday evening, the decision is made, we take a day off work on friday, and we will do Seymour. We prepare our things and I filled the car. Thursday afternoon, after work, we go directly to a motel in Tupper Lake to sleep and be able to begin our hike early the next morning. Friday morning we are at the parking of the Blueberry Foot Trail or called Correys road, at 6.00h am.
As soon we put a foot outside of the car we were attacked. We were assaulted by a multitude of mosquitoes and black flies who want our blood and our skin. :twisted: Not funny at all. After having put a product based with DEET for myself it was better. But Annie, could not find her product based with citronella. By the way, according to a news story on television, citronella attract bears females. We sign the register it was 6.15h. After we were away of the parking, and the help of the Deet, the aggression of the insects was not bad. Maybe it was a hosting committee of the trail.

The first section of the trail, before the herd path, is in good condition.
The Seymour herd path and the one for Seward are very easy to find. Both are marked with the cairn that we see very easy from the trail. But we need to know which is which and where they are located approximately.
The herd path, was muddy in a few places, but it is not bad. At the half of the HP I heard a noise of somebody who was comming up, it was Joe Cedar. We talked a little and he tells us that we had to see the view close to the summit a little before reached the summit there is a little track on the right that leads to a bare rock section where we have a beautiful view of the three mountains of Sewards. At the summit, I was looking for the summit sign, I cannot find it, it disappeared. There is a yellow marker and an old wooden sign where before it had an inscription of Seymour. After that, Neil told me to go 30-40 feet to the west of the summit, for a view of Sewards it is a nice place and we can see Santanonis to. Then we headed to the other point of view that Joe recommended to us, a very beautiful place with a beautiful sight. But we were not there quite alone. There were thousands of black flies which also admired the landscape and I think we've disturbed them. Because when we arrived, they rushed immediatly on us, and in a very agressively way. For me I think it was an another host committee. The time to take a few photos, ate a little bit and we quickly goes back on the trail. The view we had, is gorgeous at that place.
We take our lunch and a rest at Ward brook leanto, where it had not too many mosquitoes and flies at that place.
Even with the several attacks by insects during the day and we had a warm day, it was a gorgeous day. We have had about 10C/50F at the begining, we were very close to 30C/85F during the day. I have sweated a lot today. Because I have taken the decision to wear long sleeves because I wanted to be protected against the insects.
Arriving at the parking, the hosting committee was still there but in greater numbers. Unable to endured that. We removed our boots and thrown our things into the trunk of the car and we were in rushing to go inside of the car. Rendering inside the car, we killed all the Flies and mosquitoes who came inside with us. Now, after that war, we have relaxe. :)

We spent a beautiful day and with Seymour, we are now at 43 summit of the 46. :tup:
Next on the list, Marshall.

The view on Sewards

Congrats Yvon & Annie for your 43rd ADK! The view on the Santanonis from Sewards is breathtaking & often under rated by many. The valley in between these two mountain ranges is grandiosly beautiful!

Mimi said:
Congrats Yvon & Annie for your 43rd ADK! The view on the Santanonis from Sewards is breathtaking & often under rated by many. The valley in between these two mountain ranges is grandiosly beautiful!

Merci Mireille,
We seen how the views are gorgeous on that summit. But we did not have enough time to appreciate the panorama we had on the summit, because of the black flies.

Congrats on #43 Yvon!! Too bad the flies were so ferocious...Seymour does have some good views if you're able to spend some time up top.

Make sure you do Marshall on a nice day - it's a beautiful hike...one that I'll surely go back to.

I had some problems with my camera on that day but here is a slideshow of our Seymour hike. On some of the photos on the summit, I had to remove black flies, with photoshop, and it is true.

SEYMOUR SLIDESHOW

great job!

Great job Yvon and Annie! you are very close to your goal! I cannot agree more with you on black flies. I hiked yesterday and no thunderstorms but SO MANY flies!

Good luck for the remaining 3!

Suzanne

1ADAM12 said:
Very nice pictures guys and congrats on getting cloer to you goal. The only problem is I did not see any black flies in the photos. Are you sure you were not dreaming? :D

On the photos on the summit, truly, I had to remove them with Photoshop.

Suzanne said:
Great job Yvon and Annie! you are very close to your goal! I cannot agree more with you on black flies. I hiked yesterday and no thunderstorms but SO MANY flies!

Good luck for the remaining 3!

Suzanne

Thank you Suzanne, where were you yesterday with the blackflies. :)

Congrats on your 43rd. I hiked Seymour for my 45th a year ago this month. The mountain does not get the credit it deserves. Some very nice views from a few spots given it is a tree'd summit. I thought the trail was very enjoyable too. Had the hike of dreams, very few bugs and the weather was gorgeous. Going in to revisit the entire range in a couple weeks over the 4th of July weekend. Can only hope for as nice of weather and conditions. Preparing for the bugs not being gone yet though.

We seen how the views are gorgeous on that summit. But we did not have enough time to appreciate the panorama we had on the summit, because of the black flies.[/QUOTE]

Congrats yvon and Annie to avoid the black flies you had to return in the
winter. I finish my w46ers on Seymour in March 2006 and no black flies at
that time. I never return since that time, maybe one day with the kids but
in the falls.... :)

yvon said:
We seen how the views are gorgeous on that summit. But we did not have enough time to appreciate the panorama we had on the summit, because of the black flies.

Rejean said:
Congrats yvon and Annie to avoid the black flies you had to return in the
winter. I finish my w46ers on Seymour in March 2006 and no black flies at
that time. I never return since that time, maybe one day with the kids but
in the falls.... :)

For sure I will return in winter. You are a wise guy Rejean to go back there in the fall. You will saved the Deet and the war with the mosquitos and the black flies.
Merci Réjean, on approche.

Last edited: