Trailhead waypoint file?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
I searched the site, but my results were inconclusive... So I decided to start a new thread to find out for sure:

Does anyone have a .gpx or .poi file of most of the trailheads in the Whites that they are willing to share?

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit for our car and am looking to pre-load it with trailhead waypoints. I downloaded and installed Garmin's POILoader program. Now I just need some files to upload.

I did find some here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/gps-trailheads.html - Thanks Mohamed! - but was wondering if anyone had a more complete file since this thread in May - http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14395.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Now people need GPS just to find the trailheads?! What is this world coming to?

Now people need GPS just to find the trailheads?! What is this world coming to?

hehe... Once I'm on the trail it's strictly map and compass for me (unless of course I'd lost the trail - then a GPS might be handy!)

I just enjoy the comfort and pleasures of using a GPS such as "How much longer until I get there?" or "What are my gas, food, shopping options near here?" or not having to say "DOH! Did I forget to stay on 302 in Bridgeton again?!?"

Last edited:
I did find some here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/gps-trailheads.html - Thanks Mohamed! - but was wondering if anyone had a more complete file since this thread in May - http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14395.
I have a larger collection of trailhead waypoints in GPX format, which I will be happy to email to anyone who sends me their email address. All are recorded waypoints; none are pulled off Mapsource or TOPO!.

I would like to return to integrating them into my site. Google Maps seems to be the way to go, as you can use it directly to get driving directions. Here is an example of what I have done: Franconia Notch Trailheads.

The problem with using the My Maps feature on Google Maps is that, best I can tell, there is no way to arrange my very many collections in folders (maybe I am missing something). So I would like to use the API on my own site.

I am not a Javascript programmer, but have been writing programs since I learned FORTRAN using punched cards :eek: How difficult is the API to use for someone who has (long ago) written thousands of lines of FORTRAN, C, awk and perl (note: no C++, and basic, pre-OOP, perl).

Last edited:
I have a larger collection of trailhead waypoints in GPX format, which I will be happy to email to anyone who sends me their email address. All are recorded waypoints; none are pulled off Mapsource or TOPO!.

...[EDIT]...

I am not a Javascript programmer, but have been writing programs since I learned FORTRAN using punched cards :eek:

Ah, yes...FORTRAN on punchcards. Brings back memories. <gets misty-eyed>

Make sure you don't drop your card stack whilst coming back from the compiler room, though!! :rolleyes:

I'd be keen to get the trailhead waypoints. I'll PM you me e-mail address.

TIA.

I am about to rewrite my Using your GPSr to Navigate to NH 4,000 footer trailheads page, with a single GPX file of all the trailheads I have. Right now I have uploaded a GPX file of all the trailhead parking waypoints I have: My Trailheads.

It currently only contains waypoints that I have recorded myself. I believe that it has all the trailheads to the NH 4Ks except for the Berlin Fish Hatchery TH for Cabot; it is of course possible that one or more others may be missing. In addition it has many non-4K trailheads; actually most every trailhead in the central White Mountains(I93, Rts 2, 3,16, 302). Also, I think, all AT trailheads in NH south of Rt 25. Nothing in the Randolph area and along Rt 113.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Mohamed. Your file had a few I didn't already have in mine.

If anyone needs a file which contains East Coast trailheads, plus many in the Eastern Sierra, some in OR, WA, NV, and even B.C... let me know.