Dickey Mountain – Slightly Off Center (14-Apr-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Perhaps I’m mistaken in thinking that a slightly “off-center” portion of Dickey Mountain is seldom visited. But regardless, since my friend Steve and I both had a limited amount of time for hiking on this particular day, we did the short 2.1 mile trek up to Dickey Mountain’s summit via the Dickey Branch of the Welch-Dickey Loop Trail. And from the summit, we followed a faint path for 0.2 mile to an unnamed multi-acre granite slab that is just north of the main summit of Dickey Mountain. From here, there are unobstructed views in nearly every direction.

With some slight exaggeration, it is almost a hike unto itself to wander around to the various corners of this massive slab. Although the major vistas are essentially the same regardless of where you roam, many unique perspectives can be obtained by meandering around to different areas of this huge expanse of rock.

An aerial view would be the only way to show the magnitude of this spot. But for anyone who hasn’t been there, perhaps the photo below will give some glimmer of an idea about the general character of this place.
100_1431.JPG

One of the star-attractions for this “off-center” spot is the BIG northwesterly view that encompasses Moosilauke on the far left of the photo below, all the way to the Franconia Range on the far right.
100_1433.JPG

And, the next photo (taken from a different part of the slab) shows an isolated view of the Cannon Balls & Cannon Mountain (left) and the Franconia Range (right).
100_1432.JPG

There is also a pretty impressive northeasterly view toward the Tripyramids.
100_1423.JPG

And, an imposing view of near-by Welch Mountain can be seen from various points.
100_1408.JPG

As everyone knows who has done the Dickey Branch of this loop trail, many rock slabs are encountered en route. On one of these slabs there is a circle carved in the bedrock. From what I can glean from the Internet, the origin of the circle is unknown, but supposedly if you stand inside the circle and point yourself in the direction of nearby large triangular-shaped rock, you are looking at the exact point of the sunrise at the summer solstice. Perhaps someone on this forum has other information about this?:confused: Below is a photo of the circle.
100_1436.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great photos, John! There are indeed some interesting ledges views off the beaten path on Dickey - I think I found a few of them last summer whilst hunting for blueberry patches!

Perhaps I’m mistaken in thinking that a slightly “off-center” portion of Dickey Mountain is seldom visited.
Off center? I always visit the slabs when I hike up there...

On one of these slabs there is a circle carved in the bedrock. From what I can glean from the Internet, the origin of the circle is unknown, but supposedly if you stand inside the circle and point yourself in the direction of nearby large triangular-shaped rock, you are looking at the exact point of the sunrise at the summer solstice. Perhaps someone on this forum has other information about this? Below is a photo of the circle.
It looks like there is some lichen growing on the circle. Thus it is old.

Doug

I too often visit that spot which is a good jumping off point if you want to bushwhack to Mt. Tecumseh. There used to be a large cairn that you could see from the main trail, but somehow it must have been dismantled, by whom I do not know.

p.s. Trish let me know when you plan to go, I do that loop at least 10 times a year. I usually walk from the house and although you are farther away, I do think it is walkable from you place.

I always visit the slabs when I hike up there...
I too often visit that spot . . .

Yup, since most VFTT folks are not your basic average hiker:), in retrospect I think I should have put a “qualifier” at the end of my opening statement so that it read something like:

Perhaps I’m mistaken in thinking that a slightly “off-center” portion of Dickey Mountain is seldom visited by the average hiker.

Those are great slabs, and there are many more interspersed with bushes and vegetation. It's easy to find a nice, quiet, warm, sunny spot out there and just read a book, meditate, or take a nap.

DougPaul said:
I always visit the slabs when I hike up there...
Yup, since most VFTT folks are not your basic average hiker:),
FWIW, I don't think I have been up there since I joined VFTT.

Perhaps I’m mistaken in thinking that a slightly “off-center” portion of Dickey Mountain is seldom visited by the average hiker.
There certainly have been fewer people up on the slabs than on the trail when I visited.

IIRC, the slabs are mentioned in some of the earlier editions of the WMG. (No mention in the 28th ed (2007).)

Doug

I wandered that way the first time I went up Dickey - thought it was the main trail!

The views from that northern end are definitely worth the extra few minutes.

I had considered a trip that way, continuing down the ridge to Tecumseh - glad to see from MadRiver's post that it is doable! Another plan for later on!

Nice photos, John - glad to see the diminished snow, especially on the slabs! This is one of my favorite spring hikes (along with Black Mountain) once the abundant flowers start blooming.

I love that ledge. By no means seldom visited though, I go there every time I hike the loop, and see others doing the same. But your right it is less visited than the Dickey summit, your average hiker blows right by the fairly hidden start of the herd path. Best views on Dickey Mountain, or even the whole loop for that matter. Far superior than the view from the true Dickey summit.

Nice pictures. Almost time to drive down my road and hike it myself!! Hows the snow/ice situation on the Dickey side?

Those are great slabs, and there are many more interspersed with bushes and vegetation. It's easy to find a nice, quiet, warm, sunny spot out there and just read a book, meditate, or take a nap.
You are soooo right about that!:)
Everyone has different likes & dislikes, but personally I’d much prefer to be up there relaxing on those ledges on a warm day than being on any beach anywhere!!
Beautiful day for pictures. Nice TR. Thanks
Glad you enjoyed . . . guess that’s one of the main goals of VFTT, i.e. to share info and provide some vicarious pleasure via Trip Reports.;)
I wandered that way the first time I went up Dickey - thought it was the main trail! . . . The views from that northern end are definitely worth the extra few minutes.
I can relate to that! The first time I did the Welch-Dickey Loop, I also thought the main trail went over in that direction. But unfortunately, I did not do as you did. I saw a trail-blaze at the last minute and didn’t wander over in that direction.
I love that ledge. By no means seldom visited though, I go there every time I hike the loop, and see others doing the same. But your right, it is less visited than the Dickey summit, your average hiker blows right by the fairly hidden start of the herd path.

Hows the snow/ice situation on the Dickey side?
Regarding the snow/ice situation, when we were ascending, we needed Stabilicers for one short segment of trail where there was some hard ice/snow. However, this spot had softened considerably by the time we descended and we didn’t use our Stablicers. Obviously, it’s difficult to say with any precision, but I’d venture to say that with the warm temperatures we had again today, the entire trail is most likely bare-bootable from the trailhead all the way to that magnificent slab just a bit north of the Dickey summit.