Black Mountain (the one adjacent to Sandwich Dome): 13-Aug-2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
There are probably about as many mountains named “Black” as there are “Bald”! So, just to be clear, the particular “Black” mountain that I visited was the one adjacent to Sandwich Dome.

The recent Q&A posting by Pocahontas about the condition of Sandwich Notch Road got me to thinking about the fact that I’ve never hiked the Algonquin Trail and so I decided to try it out. But, since this was another day when I had a limited amount of time, my exploration of this trail was confined just to the general vicinity of Black Mountain.

Oh! And by the way, the condition of the Sandwich Notch Road from the Waterville Valley end to the Algonquin trailhead is rough. However, it’s probably doable for even a passenger car if you take it very slow and weave around some of the deeper potholes.

From the outset, I knew that the views would NOT be crystal clear since overcast conditions were predicted for the entire day. Therefore, I anticipated that my photos would not be great, but felt that I should at least be able to get a pretty good idea about the types of views that are available from the Black Mountain vicinity. Plus, the hike would enable me to experience a trail that I hadn’t hiked previously.

As everyone knows, the Algonquin Trail merely skirts the east side of Black Mountain and doesn’t go over the actual summit. But you get a great view of its picturesque summit from the trail as you climb high above it (photo below).
100_2676.JPG

After you begin the climb away from Black Mountain, there is an abundance of viewing opportunities since it almost seems that there are open ledges around every corner. On a clear day, the views must be spectacular. But on this day, the views were merely mediocre. Below are just a few samples of the images captured on this particular trek.

Black Mountain Pond . . . and Beyond
100_2713.JPG

In the Foreground (A Portion of Acteon Ridge + Jennings Peak)
100_2691.JPG

Looking Southward Toward the Lakes District
100_2688.JPG

And, here is one last photo. Take a look at the parallel lines going across the top of this boulder. Would I be correct in assuming that these lines are the result of glacial action?
100_2701.JPG

This was a great hike. I’m glad I did it. At some point in the future (on a better viewing day), I’ll likely do some sort of a loop that will involve retracing the segment of trail I did on this hike, plus perhaps adding in some other trails such as the Black Mountain Pond Trail, etc, etc.

1HappyHiker

Nice trip. The Algonquin Tr. is beautiful. The ledges around the Black Pond/Algonquin Tr. junction provide some pretty unique looks into the valley Sandwich Notch Rd. winds through. Plenty of ponds in view. And there isn't a better place to view the cliffs of Sachem Peak!

For a loop I believe there is an old woods road I remember seeing that (I heard on VFTT) leads from the lower reaches of Algonquin Tr. straight to Black Pond.

And for that rock, maybe they're chatter marks? They look a little deep for normal striations.

For example, here's some "crescent moons" near the top of Hi-Cannon Tr. There are also others at the outlook above Cannon Cliff off the Kinsman Ridge Tr.

Last edited:
Jimmy Legs and Little D, thank you for your kind remarks! Yes, this is one that you might want to put on your To Do list. The first paragraph of TDawg’s response pretty well says it all!

TDawg, thanks for your comments about the parallel striations on the boulder. I’m certainly no expert, but in my very limited experience, I’ve only seen this type of striation on a horizontal surface, but never on a vertical surface. Perhaps these lines are chatter marks as you suggest. I have no idea.

Concerning your suggestion for a loop hike involving an old woods road, please take a look at the map below. It shows some sort of trail that extends from the Algonquin Trail to the east shore of that little pond which is just a short distance west of Black Mountain Pond. Perhaps this is the route you’re talking about. Regardless, it looks like it might have the potential for an interesting loop.
OldTrailMap.JPG

Last edited:
Nice report, John! I've only been on this peak during a zero-visibility day - good to see what the views are from there! :)

Nice job, John! I visited that peak last fall and was pleasantly surprised by the views.

TDawg, thanks for your comments about the parallel striations on the boulder. I’m certainly no expert, but in my very limited experience, I’ve only seen this type of striation on a horizontal surface, but never on a vertical surface. Perhaps these lines are chatter marks as you suggest. I have no idea.

Concerning your suggestion for a loop hike involving an old woods road, please take a look at the map below. It shows some sort of trail that extends from the Algonquin Trail to the east shore of that little pond which is just a short distance west of Black Mountain Pond. Perhaps this is the route you’re talking about. Regardless, it looks like it might have the potential for an interesting loop.
OldTrailMap.JPG

Right, that's the map I've seen of the loop. Innnnnteresting...;):D

How does the 'whack over to the summit look? I probably won't be doing this any time soon, but would be interested in it eventually....

How does the 'whack over to the summit look? I probably won't be doing this any time soon, but would be interested in it eventually....
Funny you should mention that! On my way back down, I did a short exploratory whack part way up the east side of Black Mtn. It was pretty easy going (as far as I went). I was surely wishing that I had more time to go all the way, but was “pushing the envelope” as it was. So hopefully, there are others on this Forum who have been all the way and will chime in with some more complete information.

Isn't Algonquin a great trail ?!

I'm sorry that we missed you by one day
we did it on The next day (Friday~ early) after you did!

I hope some day you have time to make it to the Dome from that end
some cool ledges to scramble & as you know some awesome views of
Welch-Dickey /The Lakes , & the back sides of Israel, Doublehead,
Morgan Perceival etc

Now we need to go to Black Mt Pond
a cool view down to that one from the ledges

Nice day