Crazy Route Picks for Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
OK, I'm poring over the maps and trying to pick a fun, odd, unusual route to Isolation and back for my 48th -- but not last -- NH4K and this is what I'm thinking of ... can some of you post thoughts on whether this is more trouble than it's worth? The idea is to pick an ideal weather day, just like the past several weekends, and take advantage of some fine views and some interesting, though not technically difficult, trails:

Glen Boulder Trail to Davis Path to the Isolation summit, then back Davis Path to Boott Spur. I'm guess it's 10-12 hours round trip, but would be awesome if the weather is nice. Another option is up either Boott Spur or Glen Boulder, but down Rocky Branch should the weather turn nasty and I need to get below treeline.

Thoughts?

Lisa, you are looking at some serious vertical. I'll guess around 5,600 vertical (check Mohamed's site, RT via Glen Boulder is 5,050). A long day, and you will be dreading the return to Glen Boulder Trail. You won't have much time to savor your 48th summit! A loop of Glen Boulder to Iso to Rocky Branch is an awesome hike, with a nice ending walk in a hardwood forest. Note: Rocky Branch can be a tough trail to finish on after the leaves fall. Walking is often quite slick with new leaves covering the trail. It's also tough to follow under headlamp in those conditions as there are lots of leaves.

Glen Boulder to Boot, down to Isolation, then out Rocky Branch (E) to Rt 16 was my wife's choice. Like many here, I've done that hill every which way (inc. skiing it RT from 16 via RB, very nice).

You could also consider a run of the entire Davis Path...a very historic finish.

Congrats on the upcoming 48th.

It was great to play with you atop Monroe! Great job on "Summertime"!

Thanks for the great pictures...

Guido

Hmmm, so Sherp and Mohamed -- your points are??? ;) OK, points taken.

Gui -- I'm thinking Glen Boulder definitely has to be part of the equation. It seems too cool to pass up.

So many trails to choose from! I guess I'll have to do this peak numerous times...:eek:

The problem with the Rocky Branch option is the 7 miles of no views.

Glen Boulder is great, but it always seemed strange to me that I bagged a 4000 footer by climbing to 5100 feet and descending to it.

Careful not to miss the spur path to the summit; it's not well marked.

alpinista: I was going to reply on HJ but since I’m here on VFTT now I’ll share my thoughts here since I just did Isolation this Saturday.

I have hiked in and out Rocky Branch when it was wet and water crossings difficult and on that hike we never even got to the summit. I have hiked in and out Rocky Branch (with bushwhack) in winter. I have backpacked in and up Dry River trail, up and over Isolation and out Davis Path to Crawford Notch. And this Saturday I hiked to Isolation (along with Mt. Davis, North Isolation and a few other side trips :rolleyes: ) in and out via the Glen Boulder and Davis Path. With the perfect weather on Saturday this is a trip that I would recommend given the same conditions.

Being solo I didn’t have a second car for a loop and a bike ride back up Rt. 16 from Rocky Branch wouldn’t be fun. I didn’t want to do another hike in and out Rocky Branch. And on such a beautiful day I didn’t want to spend it all in the woods except for the summit. (Those I talked to on Sat. said it was wet and water high which made me even happier with my choice.)

That said it is a serious hike. It is a sustained climb to Davis Path (3200 feet in 3.2 miles). From there it is a drop of 1500’ elevation to Isolation which means it is a climb back of 1500’ to the junction of Davis/Glen Boulder and rocky descent of 3200’ again. Continuing to Boott Spur and down only adds to the workout.

If you don’t do it solo I would go for the Glen Boulder / Davis Path / Rocky Branch loop. On a good day you’ll get most that Isolation has to offer.

I have some nice pictures from Sat. if you’re interested.

Though the Rocky Branch Trail is "viewless", in late September or early October the foliage is exquisite. Lots of hardwoods all the way to the stream crossings. I now save Isolation for the Fall for this reason.

JohnL

Here is the route I took on a glorious October day, one of my favorite dayhikes ever!: Up Boot Spur (great views into Tuckerman's) over to Isolation, which you look down on as you head south along the Davis Path. Return backtracking on Davis and down Glen Boulder. Great views into Gulf of the Slides, and of course, the Glen Boulder itself. One tip: If you left your car at Pinkham, just hike back along the road. You'll avoid some ups and down of the trail that cuts back through the woods. I started around 7AM and passed through the AMC building to check on the weather. It called for cold and high winds on the Washington summit, so I bought a headband and took gloves. When I reached a viewpoint on Boot Spur, I saw the smoke from the train at the summit. It rose straight up in the air, ie. zero wind up there. Hiked all day in just shirt sleeves! The first 7 photos in the following album were taken that day. http://community.webshots.com/album/69662028taFLop

Wow! Thanks everyone for these suggestions. I'm lucky in that I'll have some flexibility in picking a day. I'm making an executive decision and taking some time next week off from work -- so I'll be able to pick the actual date for #48 based on the weather forecast. As I said, I plan on picking a day just as glorious as the past two weekends presented.

Carole -- yes please do send any pix. Appreciate it!

I did what Kevin suggested, only as two overnights. Stayed one night right on the Stairs--great views and what a fun place to camp. Then met friends after Isolation at RB shelter. They hiked in some yummy food and we ate like Kings. It was a trip worth savoring, IMO.

I like the Glen Boulder/Davis/Rocky Branch Route. A group of us did that route on September 4. There is a a good number of pictures of the hike and rioute in the Isolation trip report for viewing.

Next year I will probably do the Glen Boulder/ Davis Path route to 302. Another potential route I am thinking of is cross the Dry River Wilderness by taking the Glen Boulder/Davis Path route to Mt. Isolation. Then go out the Isolation Trail/ Dry River Cutoff/Crawford Path- with a stop at Mizpah Hut on the way out. :) :cool:

I second rambler's suggestion (up Boot Spur, Isolation, down Glen Boulder). Yes, it involves lot of elevation, but it's one of the best dayhikes I did and you're above treeline for so long! Just start early and eat well:D

Thanks, everyone! You gave me some crazy route ideas for sure! I promise to come back with scads o' photos and stories to tell -- and for those who are planning on joining MichaelJ on the 25th, perhaps I can regale ya personally! :D

One of my favorite sections of trail above treeline, is that of the Davis Path, between the Camel & Glen Boulder trails. And, since my driving approach to the Presi's is from the West, starting at the Cog Base Rd is more appealing. Route: Up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Crawford Path to Camel's Trail, intersect the Davis Path & head south to Isolation.

If feels like a triple treat to travel above treeline twice & take in one of the best views of the southern Presidentials (IMHO),
in one hike. ~ Enjoy.

Strangely, I have also been thinking of this peak soon, and having done 6 different trail approaches, 1 abandoned trail, and 2 bushwhacks, was looking for a different choice. My current plan: get dropped off at Glen Boulder, Davis Path to Isolation & Davis, bushwhack to Rocky Branch and get picked up at S end. Anybody else done that one :)

To wrap up this thread, A&P chose different routes on the same day, http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3695 and http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/2010.html

And a few days later, I did my trip as above but with a total of 4 bushwhacks:
* short one near Slide Peak eating late season blueberries
* short one to what the Trailwrights call N Isolation, the 1907 Guide to the Paths and Camps in the White Mountains calls this the Twins but apparently the name was too common to stick, faint herd path developing
* wandering toward summit of Mt Davis but apparently not getting there
* longer one from col S of Davis to Rocky Branch Trail, major moose path starting off

alpinista said:
If you took any pix, I'd love to see them! Sounds like a truly "crazy route" to Iso!
Didn't bring a camera on this trip, but here's something from a previous Isolation bushwhack: