Tuckerman's Ravine 4/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Chomp, Carmel, and I and about 1997 of our closest friends headed into Tuckermans on Saturday, 4/16. Yup, the talk was that there was 2000 people in there. I'd say maybe 1000, but I'm not trained in crowd estimation. At any rate, perfect weather, great snow conditions, and the Inferno added up to a lot of people.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some shots:

The crowd at lunch rocks

Huck shot

Sick jump...

Turns into a sick crash...

Which gets worse.

Yet another big huck

Here is one for the boarders

And who could forget the sled guy...HIGHER! HIGHER! HIGHER!

Chomp after his second run

And a final huck collage

Too many pictures to post - there were people going nuts everywhere and I actually filled my 2GB compact flash!

Never thought I would have fun sharing the mountains with that many people, but it was an awesome time.

- darren

Yah, it was awesome. It was really a zoo but at the same time it was very entertaining.

I actually treated Carmel to a B&B on Friday ;) Then we camped with Chomp at Barnes Field on Sat nite. Fr anyone that cares, Barnes Field CG is essentially snow free.

- darren

SherpaKroto said:
How was the race?

What race, Sherpa? If you are talking about the TBTS Bike Ride that is on May 15 and speaking of that . . . would be nice if we could show our support for Darren and the rest of the VFTT riders by pledging a little something to them . . . see the "sticky" thread on Q&A . . .

sli74

SherpaKroto said:
Missed you by one day. It was a bit less crowded on Sunday, but the skies were just as blue. Tuck's is a very special place. I need to pull the boards out one more time before I call it a career :(

How was the race?

You were there on SUnday, Sherpa? I was there again on Sunday as well. I was going to hike Tremont, but couldn't pass up the lure of Tucks as I drove past Pinkham. I hiked almost to the summit on Sunday, topping out somewhere around 5500 feet. Coming over the Lip was much harder Sunday, since there were big moguls everywhere. Sorry I missed you in there.

chomp

Great pics, darren. I have some that I will post hopefully tonight.

SherpaKroto said:
How was the race?
The Race he is talking about is the
Son of Inferno held on Saturday.

Darren, the huck shots are great, very good job catching the action. I also like the feel of that snowboard shot, I've seen that look many times up there.

-dave-

Here are some more pix from last Sat. It's a real nice crash and burn series...

IMG_0728-sm.jpg

IMG_0731-sm.jpg

IMG_0732-sm.jpg

IMG_0733-sm.jpg

IMG_0734-sm.jpg

IMG_0735-sm.jpg

IMG_0736-sm.jpg

OUCH!

- darren

Chomp: wish I had known! I hiked up at 7:20, reaching HoJo's at 8:50 with Frodo and HarryK. After Frodo had us tying a few loops, we set off up Boott Spur. I have some pics HERE
Just start the slide show to see the rest of them.

If the weather is good, I may head back up again on Saturday (sans skis though - just climbing)

Awesome pics Chomp! Was that your first time over the Lip? How was it?

I can't even imagine skiing that. Someday...

How far down is/was Sherborn skiing?

Seeker,
Most were bailing out where the Boott Spur Trail crosses the Sherburne, i.e. the hairpin above Crystal Cascade on Tuck's Trail. Others rocked and rolled to the bottom. I'd guess that it will be 1/4 mile or so higher this weekend, and after the coming rain a lot higher up.