NH Fire Lookout Tower Quest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
"Once you have visited five different fire towers simply fill out the attached request form and mail it to “Tower Quest Program”at the address that appears on the front of this brochure. In a few weeks you will receive your complimentary Tower Quest patch, certificate, and a letter in recognition of your accomplishment."

I'll bet there's 100 members who could mail this tonight! Let's show we care about the towers!

http://nh.gov/dred/divisions/forest...rotection/documents/CompletebrochureQuest.pdf

adamiata said:
Looks like I'm one tower short.

I'd never heard of this before, thanks for bringing it to my attention, RoySwkr.

Wow! Only 5?!?!? We have to do 23 to get a patch in New York! :D

On a related note, Baird and Haartz's 1992 pamphlet, A Field Guide to New Hampshire Fire Towers, has just been reprinted with some revision (updates), not sure it's enough to qualify as a second edition, but it is available again. It gives a very brief general history of fire towers in NH, lists ones that no longer exist, and describes the current ones. It's available at www.mountainwanderer.com

South Kinsman

Was there ever a tower on South Kinsman? I noticed some steel supports in the rocks there (on the south knob) but have never heard any mention that there was once a tower there.

Baird and Haartz do not list one for S. Kinsman although they do say that their list is "tentative." These various structures, some private, some public, came and went over time. In the local vicinity, there were at one time fire detection towers or other structures on Garfield, Cannon, Hale, Cooley Hill (Easton, base remnant remains), Mts. Agassiz and Rosebrook (Bethlehem), Moosilauke (summit buildings), and a "Grandview" in Woodstock.

But this might have something to do with it. An 1880's guidebook, which does not differentiate N. from S. Kinsman, remarks that it was tough getting to the summit of Kinsman. Easy enough climbing to the top of the slide but then a difficult route through "bad scrubs" after that. Once on top, though, there were signs of civilization, including the fact that the summit was "the repository of a U. S. Coast Survey signal."

I was curious about why a coast survey would be using Kinsman, so here's a little background on the US Coast Survey:

"The Office of Coast Survey is the oldest U.S. scientific organization, dating from 1807 when the United States Congress directed that a "survey of the coast" be carried out. In the ensuing years additional responsibilities were assigned to the young agency to meet scientific and engineering needs of a growing national population and economy and by1836, it was called the U.S. Coast Survey. In1871, a geodetic connection between theAtlantic and Pacific coasts was officially authorized and in 1878, the name was changed to the U.S.Coast and Geodetic Survey (C&GS). In 1926, the production of aeronautical charts was added to meet the requirements of the new air transportation age. In 1970, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey became the National Ocean Survey under the newly established National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and in 1982, it was renamed the National Ocean Service (NOS). In December of that year, the Office of Charting and Geodetic Services was created within the new National Ocean Service to better focus on charting and geodetic activities, re-establishing the former C&GS acronym. Then in 1991, the office was renamed to its former 1878 name of Coast and Geodetic Survey."

If not a remnant of that coast survey signal, what you see on S. Kinsman
might be left over from a similar survey.

Last edited:
Rugger said:
Any idea why Smarts Mtn isn't on the list?

I wondered the same thing. My guess is related to the bit of the brochure that says "NH Division of Forests and Lands operates 15 fire lookout towers..." I would guess it's because the Smarts Mt. tower is no longer used or not under the Division of Forests & Lands jurisdiction.

I stumbled across this site, which has a state by state breakdown of firetowers: FFLA Towers Page

-- Ivy

Last edited:
poison ivy said:
I wondered the same thing. My guess is related to the bit of the brochure that says "NH Division of Forests and Lands operates 15 fire lookout towers..." I would guess it's because the Smarts Mt. tower is no longer used or not under the Division of Forests & Lands jurisdiction.
-- Ivy

Smarts Tower has a very long history, it seems! NHFC put it in service in 1915 and closed it in 1922. DOC took over and rebuilt the tower in 1932. NH built another new tower after that one was demolished in the hurricane of '39. It was out of service 1942-57 during which time DOC leased it for a dollar and staffed it in times of high fire danger. In 1973, it closed as airplanes came into vogue. In 1977, the NHDPW got it to use as a radio repeater site. Then the ATC got the land of either side of the tower and wanted to raze the buildings there but a compromise was negotiated so that the tower went on the National Register. WMNF, representing the ATC in NH, and DOC also arranged for maintenance.

RoySwkr,

Thanks for the link. I do believe my 8 year old would love the idea of earning a patch. She's a collector like her Dad, and she describes our Wachusett hike last weekend as "the most fun since DisneyWorld!" (it's hard to trump the Mouse :rolleyes: ) I was planning on taking her up Cardigan in the next couple of weekends. Might try hitting some of the smaller fire towered hills between now and then.

Any that would be recommended as a fun hike with lil' people?

Posted by McRat

The tower on South Pawtuckaway is worthwhile to visit and a good family hike. We did it as a loop doing North Pawtuckaway where there are some interesting caves. Here's a Trip report

McRat said:

Both Red Hill (Lakes) and Green Mtn (Freedom NH) are easy hikes with killer views from the top. Both have staffed towers except in winter. The two officers up there are extremely nice people who will invite you and the lil people up into the cab and answer all your questions. They're used to school trips and take their educational role very seriously, and they'll have a little fun up their sleeves (I'm sure) to entertain kids. This big kid had a great time visiting as well.

Active towers only?

Rugger said:
Any idea why Smarts Mtn isn't on the list?
My guess is that the list is restricted to towers that are still active, though I must admit that I know little about fire towers. The brochure says:
The purpose of the Fire Lookout Tower Quest program is to increase the public’s recognition of, and appreciation for, the critical roles that our fire towers play in the protection, stewardship and sustainable use of New Hampshire’s forests.
A disused fire tower does little for the " protection, stewardship and sustainable use of New Hampshire’s forests."

Is there a time limit on this? I have done a few so is it ok to reach back a few years to count them?

Pitcher Mountain Fire Tower on the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail is less than a half mile hike, with fantastic views in all directions.

Only five? That's WAY too easy! I have 13 New York FT peaks, and I still need 10 more for a patch...

The book is a mere $5 and has b&w pictures of each firetower. A well written book on the history of NH firetowers certainly worth reading and owning.