What's in your snack bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked this response from the Winter Trail Snacks thread. I figure it would work well for summer, too:

Frodo said:
For winter snacks I like bring some Pheasant under glass with Truffles from the Bordeaux Valley (goes well with some CHATEAU POUPILLE - Merlot 2000), AND when I am in the mood I like to bring some fresh Alaskan King Crab Soufflet with Huckleberry Crepe's for dessert (yummmmm)

When those items are hard to find, I usually bring a bag of peanuts and some goldfish crackers... :D

I bring chicken soup in a vacuum thermos... regardless of how hot or cold it is. Most of the time, that's the only thing I'll eat on a hiking trip regardless of how long it is. It's good because it has fat in it and salt and also I guess some other things.

-Dr. Wu

I have some MRE's left from my Army days. They usually consists of entrees such as Chilli & Macaroni, Tortelini & vegtables, Minestrone Stew etc. The packaged fruit is pretty good; pineapples or pears. The accessory packet usually has cheese & crackers w/ a candy bar. Not exactly 5 star dining but they taste mighty good on a hiking trail. Funny, they don't taste good anyplace else. You can purchase them at any Army/Navy surplus store. Some are better than others. I think they're at least worth a try. :)

Double Bow said:
OK, I'm getting pretty tired of bars, trail mix, and crackers w/cheese or peanut butter. What are some of the "different" things folks are munching on while out there?

When a buddy and I biked across country years ago, our caloric needs really spiked. I'm guessing we were consuming 5000 - 6000 calories/day maybe? Anyway, we both kept "feed bags" in our handlebar bags. This was a large zip lock of munchies. We learned that we needed to keep following our tastes and to run from our boredom. Otherwise, we didn't eat enough and would bonk.

In general, complex carbs are better than simple sugars and fats pack the most bang for the buck. Another friend and former AT through hiker is also a nutritionist put up this site based on her research:
http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=12&cid=39

Turns out that the lowly pop tart is pretty good!

dave.m said:
When a buddy and I biked across country years ago, our caloric needs really spiked. I'm guessing we were consuming 5000 - 6000 calories/day maybe? Anyway, we both kept "feed bags" in our handlebar bags. This was a large zip lock of munchies. We learned that we needed to keep following our tastes and to run from our boredom. Otherwise, we didn't eat enough and would bonk.

In general, complex carbs are better than simple sugars and fats pack the most bang for the buck. Another friend and former AT through hiker is also a nutritionist put up this site based on her research:
http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=12&cid=39

Turns out that the lowly pop tart is pretty good!

I remember Pete_Hickey suggested pure olive oil for it's high calorie content.

Cabot 75% light cheddar cheese. Doesn't taste "light" and doesn't sweat out grease in the heat like some other cheeses. Always available at Hannaford.

Salted whole cashews. Chewy and satisfying, gives you some needed salt.

Steve

Maple creme cookies and pepperoni

I also take dried fruit (especially dried mango), nice Italian hard sausages and cheeses.

I don't get tired of trail mixes, I just keep changing the mix. Or take some of my favorite mix ingredients, but eat them separate (good almonds, wasabi peas...).

I need more ideas

This thread is great, as I am hitting the boredom level with my food since the weather has got warmer. My cool weather staple of roast beef, swiss, bbq sauce on an onion role and an assortment of cheeses (Asiago, fontinella, Gruyere, blue) has become impractical due to the heat and having no desire to get ill. I am bored after two hikes with granola bars...I never want to see one again. I am trying to get used to bagels and various home made trail mixes. I lean towards cashews (more salt in the summer) and I love throiwng in some wasabi peas! Even peanut m and ms are boring me...
The chicken soup idea makes sense and maybe leftover pasta would be good.
As everyone has pointed out it is important to want to eat the food you have with you...it is hard to eat enough when it is so hot!

I like to bring cut up veggies and hummus, pastachios and cheese. If I'm going out with a group I like to bake some goodies to bring along for everyone...usually cookies or brownies. Peanut-butter balls would be nice but they don't hold up too well in this hot weather! :)

-MEB

When the weather is a little cooler I love to bring hard boiled eggs! Recently I've been enjoying pistachios and honey roasted peanuts to satisfy my need for salty foods. I struggle with new ideas for trail snacks and always end up with an emergency supply of bars, trail mix etc...

Little Sister

Hormel Spicy Hot pepperoni. Greasy, salty, and hot. My fave.

Planters spicy peanuts. Salty.

Cheese curds. Yacey's Fancey (Kutter's) are the best, MacAdam's is good, too. Best when warm. Also salty.

My main course is usually a bologna or roast beef sandwich with mayo. Dessert is mini Heath or Skor bars. I may also have a generic snack pie. Lemon, berry or apple.

teejay

green grapes, green (granny smith) apples, snap peas - hummm, all green??
okay, I add cashews.

I have said it many times, canned octopus rules. Packed in olive oil (good stuff), put a few chunks on a cracker. uummmmm.