Foot Discomfort While Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Early this year I received the recommendation from my Doctor to hike. It’s a long story. In the course of my hiking I have learned a few things.

1. I really enjoy hiking.

2. After roughly ten miles my feet start to hurt, twelve to fourteen miles and they’re screaming at me. I’ve done a number of twenty-plus hikes and they were real endurance tests.

When I started to hike I purchased a new pair of light hiking boots. They were comfortable, light in weight, waterproof, and probably designed to do exactly what I intended for them when I made the purchase. My actual hiking became more than I had initially planned. After a little less than three months I had hiked all of the 4000 Footers (approximately 250 miles) and had a pair of worn out boots. Some seams were separating and the soles were pretty beat. The surprising part of the story is the dealer did not have an alternate product to recommend so he returned the boots to the manufacturer and gave me a full refund. This store has my business for life – but that’s another story.

In this introduction to hiking I tried a number of things to deal with the foot pain. I tried new boot inserts (Superfeet), tried different sock combinations, and various pain killers (unfortunately, NSAIDs are off-limits for me). I actually found the best combination in these initial boots were the Superfeet and three pairs of socks, (liner sock, medium-weight, and mountaineering-weight).

Now, I have a pair of Vasque Sundowner Summit GTX that fit better out of the box than the others did at any time, and I thought the first boots fit well and were very comfortable. They’re heavier and stiffer as well. After hiking twenty mountains with these boots I find the best combination is the Superfeet plus two pair of socks (liners and the Mountaineering-weight). There has been a tremendous improvement, but there’s still pain.

In reading past posts, I have the sense quite a few others are in the same boat with painful feet while hiking (you know who you are). Most likely, some of you have other techniques for dealing with foot pain that may be helpful.

If you could help me address my foot pain I would be eternally grateful. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MEB
First, it depends on where the pain is. The more specific you can be about the pain, the better the advice will be.

Assuming that you are getting generalized pain INSIDE of your foot, here are some thoughts...

1) You may need custom orthodics. If Superfeet have helped but you still have pain, it may be that your arches have fallen. IME, different podiatrists do better or worse jobs than other creating good orthodics for people involved in sports. They help a great deal though.

2) You may need a boot with an even stiffer shank, especially if you weigh in the 200 lb range or have big feet. I'm 6'2", weight 175 lbs and have 13.5 feet. I find that long hikes on rugged terrain will hammer my feet unless I'm wearing 1/2 shank hiking boots (light mountaineering boots and more than Sundowners). I suspect that lighter boots work fine for people with smaller feet or who weigh under 150. But after a bit, I can feel every rock IN my foot unless I have burlier boots. The issue with boot size is that the materials usually don't get thicker in larger sized boots. A size 13 and size 9 made of the same material will work differently.

Feet

I find that the aches and pains definitely come aboard around ten miles, but it can be earlier or later based on terrain. Walking all day without any real steady gait over boulders and with a pack on is tough and I pretty much expect this. That being said - good boots and socks are the key to enjoyment. I love my Montrail Torre GTXs (they also fit great out of the box) and have been a big help. But, unless I spend the day on the Wilderness Trail I expect some discomfort...
Scotch and beer also help a great deal at the end of the day!

OK, now you're getting personal. :)

I weigh in at roughly 225, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Boot size 11+1/2.

The most severe pain is mainly in the toe joints. If I can keep the toes happy everything else is tolerable.

Twins

BigEarl,
A man after my own heart. I am also "a bit over 225lbs". If I were only 7 inches taller, I'd be at the perfect weight. I too wear the Montrail Torre GTX's. They have been fantastic, but like you my feet start hurting at the 10 mile mark, and depending on trail surface can go downhill from there. I try to stretch before I start, and during the entire hiking day. I've had four casts on the ankles/feet over the years and it seems nothing I do will let me hike pain free. I take ibuprofen every four hours (usually 600-800mgs). Lastly, from one of the threads here, when possible, I soak the feet in epsom salt bath, as hot as I can stand it. I also try to have a cold beverage on hand as well. Good luck. slamdog

My apologies, Earl if this sounds abrasive, but I'm curious as to why you were returning the boots:

"After a little less than three months I had hiked all of the 4000 Footers (approximately 250 miles) and had a pair of worn out boots. Some seams were separating and the soles were pretty beat."

It certainly sounds like you got your money's worth.

As for the pain, also make sure you are wearing the same sock combinations that you fit them that you wear on the trail. Often, someone will buy a pair of boots with tube socks on, then pick up some thick padded socks for hiking and the boots are too tight. The boot then won't fit correctly, and could be tight in the wrong places (i.e. the toe box). Just a thought.

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct. I didn't expect a refund and was not looking for one. My interest was in addressing the general discomfort being experienced. The store staff looked at the boots and decided they didn't deliver the life that they should have and acted from that decision.

As far as fitting is concerned, I brought my hiking socks with me to the store when purchasing the new pair of boots. It would make no sense to fit the boots with one sock combination and then hike with another.

Thanks for your comments.

BigEarl,

You've definitely jumped into hiking in a big way. Very cool that you've completed the 4000 footers in your introduction to hiking. In doing so, though, you've been asking an awful lot out of your feet! I would think it takes quite awhile to build up the strength to hike that kind of mileage without pain.

You may be able to help minimize pain with some of the suggestions already given. But you also may just have to give yourself some time to build up the joint flexibility and strength in your feet to do what you're doing without pain. Meanwhile, how's the recovery from the painful hikes? Is the pain chronic even if you're not hiking? If you're recovering all right after these strenuous hikes, you're probably not doing any long term damage. Just pushing your body hard. But if the pain persists, you could develop hronic injuries that can be hard to recover from.

I'm not a doctor. So not giving medical advice. Just speaking from years of experience with various injuries.

Halite,

I bounce back quickly. Generally, my knees will stiffen a little and become painful on the ride home (a couple hours) but they're back to normal by the time I've moved my stuff into the house. The foot pain is also gone.

Thanks.

Ditto on the advice about orthodics. Custom ones are pricey, but you may also want to consider trying out some of the "over the counter" ones. They generally range in price from $15-$80.

BTW, I met your nephew at the Glen Ellis Falls parking area on Sunday. He was hiking Isolation with Abster. I forget his name, but seemed like a really good guy. :)

Earl,

Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck with getting the issue worked out.

The doctor who recommended hiking was probably not a podiatrist, which is who you should probably see next. I have a problem with one toe on one foot which was stabilized by immobilizing the foot for a few weeeks, anti-inflammatories for 10 days, orthodics and the admonition to wear shoes with a good shank to take up some of the stress.

This has worked quite well for me. In fact, I am more comfortable hiking long distances with heavy weight than casually walking in street shoes.

I'd suggest seeing a podiatrist, or perhaps an orthopedist who specializes in sports injuries. Taking the appropriate treatment now can help assure many years of hiking.

Perhaps lacing the boots differently will help you solve your problem. I have the same boots and they are top shelf and very stiff. My fat feet need more toe room and had similar problems in the first year of break in.

Your toes might be complaining about being cramped in a small tight space? Try loosening the toe laces, leaving more wiggle room for them so they can do their jobs better. Once you have the toe box lace tension just right, tie a knot at the lace eye just at the arch of your foot. The top lacing can be loosened to take the boots off without effecting the lower lacing so it will stay just right all the time.

Just a thought.

hey big earl - nothing your saying here is out of the norm I think. Sounds like you haven't been hiking all that long and 10-14 mile days is going to produce some pain and soreness. IMHO - the terrain in NH is tough on the feet with all the rock hopping, etc.. sounds like your recovery is quik as well. and it sounds like what your describing is typical soreness - not anything torn or pulled - no pain no gain baby!!

While it used to annoy me, I've finally accepted my pre-hike footcare routine; I spend a good deal of time taping my feet and padding my boots so they're nice and snug. My biggest problem has always been blisters, but there have been a few times after long hikes when my toes have been painful to the touch.

Some great advice has been offered, but I tend to agree with giggy to a certain extent; sore feet comes with the territory, and there are some trails in NH that are unbelievably - and sometimes surprisingly - rough. Unless I was hiking ten-plus miles every day, I've come to accept the fact that my feet are going to ache on the drive home. I think a 20-mile hike would be an endurance test on anyone's feet.

Hiking, especially carrying weight - on your body or in a pack, can broaden the feet. My feet used to hurt after about 10 miles of hiking until I sought out boots with a wider toebox (not all that easy to find I'm afraid)... Vasque Sundowners come in a double E - I had to buy men's 8 which are a little too big, but that's easy to manage, and I'm guessing you have man-sized feet... have only worn them several times, but big improvement - no 10-mile toe cramps. I wear Vasque Velocity trail runners to run and dayhike in non-winter months - also very roomy (I've tried most other brands to no avail, but Saucony Grid Shadow 8s - now discontinued - were wide enough also). Winter boots have been Scarpa Freney XTs - nice and wide, but not the warmest boots (I've been fine with them in 10 below, but I'm a toaster) and are quite rigid/hard, but beats the toe cramp.

I've been told that wearing an insert that raises the arch can help bring the forefoot together, but tried that and it didn't really seem to help me much.

Good luck.

Kevin Rooney said:
With all due respect to those who believe that aching feet is part of hiking - I have to disagree. If your feet ache consistently after 10 or 20 miles, then something is wrong - the boots, not enough conditioning, poor arch support, hiking too fast, - but something is wrong.

After a big hike (15-20 miles) your feet may be a bit sore and somewhat tender, but if they ache during the drive home - I think something is wrong.
solution= don't hike the A.T.!!
feet hurt for 1 month after!!

Foot pain

my most common problems are "hot spots"- which quickly turn into blisters if I do not address the problem right away. Solution; I tape up all hotspots and blisters with athletic tape- a real boon to all woman kind- asap. I'll leave the guys to their duck tape.

Next is sock fold problems. This is where a wrinkle in your sock causes a blister or bruise- mostly occurs on the sole of the foot. Solution- adjust sock asap or put on another pair.

Third is boots too narrow- causes my toes to crush together leading to toe cramps and nail death.

fourth- nail death. caused by jamming your toes into the front of the "toe box" of your boot, usually while going downhill, or from buying boots too small. Solutions: buy bigger boots and try retying bootlaces before a long, steep descent. Sometimes this is impossible to avoid, no matter what you do. God, why can't I just pull out all my toe nails now.

fifth is plantar facititis- see Doc.

I have to say in the last 15 years of high milage running and long distance day hiking I never had foot problems. I went throough the police academy for 22 weeks and now I have a heal spur that is bothering me. What was strange, in the academy I was doing less milage on my legs during the physical training. But all of it was done on a hard surface. I am sure that has a lot to do with it. I went to the Dr and got a cortizone (I know I cant spell) and mainly cut on the hiking and stuck with the Mt bike. I also got over the counter orthodix. It has gotten better but I can not overdue it yet, I still have pain especially the end of the day. All I know is it is very fustrating because I am an active person.

snowshoe said:
I have to say in the last 15 years of high milage running and long distance day hiking I never had foot problems. I went throough the police academy for 22 weeks and now I have a heal spur that is bothering me. What was strange, in the academy I was doing less milage on my legs during the physical training. But all of it was done on a hard surface. I am sure that has a lot to do with it.
Shoes (assuming that you were using different ones at the academy) could also be a factor.

Doug