10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0 days and counting - Eclipse in Northern NH - Where you going to be ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is getting to my chosen spot is going to be classic April conditions, mud, snow, rotten snow with a bit of ice thrown in and some winter blowdown.

Certainly understandable why there would be concerns. After all, look at all the posts on these forums of what happens with hikers not being prepared for the conditions in the mountains, even when they have at least hiked other places before.

Quite likely that many of those planning to go to these areas for viewing will be coming from the bigger cities and their surroundings where everything can be found within a few minutes of home and have little or no clue what these areas are like.

Something as simple as hitting traffic, the GPS suggests turning onto some back road that turns out to be not paved, vehicle gets stuck and then they pull out the phone only to realize they have no service. Now they have no clue where they are, no idea of which way to even go to try and get help.

We surely hope that this won't occur, but it does, unfortunately have a good chance of happening and that explains why the local areas are trying so much to get information out there so that they can avoid issues in the first place.

Eight days and counting. Pretty darn good forecast for Northern NH. The big issue now is the outcome of the big weather event this week. The 20 inches of snow we got last week and the associated snowbanks are just about gone but the ground is still soaked with snow still some snow cover (shade dependent). ATV trails and snowmachine trails are mostly closed (some still open in Pittsburg. My guess is its going to concentrate the crowds to mostly the paved roads.

1711878944261.png

A change from yesterday, if going anywhere off road bring your big snowshoes, current snow forecast is an extended rain/snow event running into Saturday. Snow fall forecast is a jackpot for the whites, I saw one version of 20" to 24" by the end of it on Saturday, but its tapers down to 10 to 18 once north of the whites in the path of totality. I expect Wildcat Mountain's near total Eclipse party will have plenty of snow (it was looking dicey 2 or 3 weeks ago). Given the mud season conditions, the towns tend to underplow the roads as it will tear them up. Anyone camping will be snow camping. Two day of melting will help but looks to be a wet one in the woods. Generally a big storm like this brings in high pressure for a few days so that is plus for clear skies post storm.

1711963252158.png

Last edited:
I had to think long and hard about how I would rate viewing a partial eclipse (of which I have seen many), to the experience of seeing a totally eclipsed sun (my fourth). Here's what I thought of that is pretty close to the kind of extreme personal difference:
Imagine a rural kid who really likes airplanes, at a time of say 50 or more years ago. The kid finally gets the chance to go to an airport to actually see an airplane in person for the very first time, and is excited to do so.
Then a few years later he gets to fly in an airplane for the first time and to actually parachute out of one with a personal flying suit. The difference of seeing a 99% partial and a fully total eclipse in emotional experience and excitement is on a level that is that dramatic.

Sadly I think a lot of folks are going to listen the hype and head north regardless and ignore the fact that everything is booked and camping options are limited with potentially 20 inches of snow on the ground. If folks insist on heading up north in NH I think the RT 2 corridor Landcaster and Colebrook both have some planning in place. Lancaster has the Lancaster fairgrounds and parking which hold a lot of cars and campers if they are plowed or accessible post snow storm. I think anyone heading to Errol will be in for surprise.

Sadly I think a lot of folks are going to listen the hype and head north regardless and ignore the fact that everything is booked and camping options are limited with potentially 20 inches of snow on the ground. If folks insist on heading up north in NH I think the RT 2 corridor Landcaster and Colebrook both have some planning in place. Lancaster has the Lancaster fairgrounds and parking which hold a lot of cars and campers if they are plowed or accessible post snow storm. I think anyone heading to Errol will be in for surprise.
While the influx of tourist dollars is never a bad thing for the North country, I think you have a valid point. People will be at a loss as to where to go up there in these conditions, this takes place in the summer? it would be easier to move around for strangers. Not to mention, a lot of locals up North are there for a reason, having mobs of strangers tramping all over their property could actually be a bad thing for some. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I suspect some folks will make a buck with a tow strap as folks will be pulling off into the shoulder and this time of the year, the shoulder can be bad place to try to park.

I'm still seeing people asking if the roads to Magalloway are open. Hope no one drives all the way up there and is crushed by the sight of a closed gate.

The town of Pittsburg and the state has announced that they are deliberately blocking the entrances to the logging road system in Pittsburg. The local snowmobile club still has trails open but they have parked the groomers. IMHO, the place to be up there is the DIamond Ledge to the north of Magalloway. The entire top of the mountain is a very large flat clearing. It is quite popular with the snowmobile crowd but not sure if that trail is still open. Its a long haul in from the nearest paved road.

Looks like Saturday is going to be sloppy one but Eclipse Day is looking good in northern NH.
The Northeast Kingdom in VT is not under currently under a winter storm warning and snow totals will be dropping somewhat north of the whites (but still plenty of snow)

NH DOT has set up road signs along RT 16 between Gorham and Berlin NH that are flashing "expect delay April 8th Solar Eclipse"

1712050340251.png

Last edited:
I suspect some folks will make a buck with a tow strap as folks will be pulling off into the shoulder and this time of the year, the shoulder can be bad place to try to park.

I’ve thought about renting snowshoes for exorbitant rates LOL

This afternoon's forecast is for the storm to be slightly farther north. The Northeast Kingdom in VT was not under a winter storm warning earlier, now it is and the band of heavy snow is just slightly farther north.

There has been a slight revision in the path of totality https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiec...total-solar-eclipse---while-texas-gained/amp/

Here is direct link to the new model showing the prior band (in red) and the new band. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1zJEC517fHCb0C_uf-EfBraKZcNmxq9c&femb=1&ll=44.56180274250044,-71.3041863167985&z=14

In the Berlin NH area, the southern edge moves about 1 mile north. I know one person who was within the path that is now going to have to take a walk.

The snow maps for Wednesday Thursday Friday are still in the 16" to 22" range with 12" to 18"(east of the I 93) heading north from RT 2 depending on what source is used, the NH stations show 6 to 12 in northern NH and 12 to 16 in the eastern Whites. I was out in Randolph yesterday and the ground in the sun had no snow and was drying out quite nicely. I had done a lot of digging on my lot in Randolph last year with exposed soil and it no longer is saturated with no surface water. When driving stakes in the ground I was still encountering some frost down about 10 inches. This usually means the snow depth will drop fairly quickly but with only a day of sun on Sunday, there is still going to be snow banks and snow in the woods on Monday.

1712136839211.png

Last edited:
A rare event for sure. But, I do remember the Total Eclipse July 20th 1963. Don't remember the exact % where I was. Just guessing, 90. Just remember it looking like twilight in the afternoon. I'm all set with the sh*t storm the traffic will be like on I's 93 & 95. What I get from where I am, will just have to do. :cool:

A rare event for sure. But, I do remember the Total Eclipse July 20th 1963. Don't remember the exact % where I was. Just guessing, 90. Just remember it looking like twilight in the afternoon. I'm all set with the sh*t storm the traffic will be like on I's 93 & 95. What I get from where I am, will just have to do. :cool:
I'm with you and am likely not going anywhere. The whole thing just sounds too people-ey!

I'll see whatever percentage we get from work parking lot. Too many competing reasons to take time off.

Happily they didn't actually move the predicted path of the eclipse, they just made the area of totality slightly narrower. Which, I guess is good, I'd be really concerned if "science" couldn't accurately predict the movement of the moon, sun and earth accurately in 2024.
I am a little surprised that they just now realized that they didn't know the correct radius of the sun. Opps!

I'll be driving up to Pittsburgh early Monday for the day (from Bethel, ME). The very helpful worker at the town office said that there is free, first-come-first-served parking at the school in Pittsburgh (about 30 spots). There is also reserved, paid parking ($25/car in advance or $50/car on the day) at Bear Rock Adventure in Pittsburgh. She said to assume that any roadside pull-offs or trailhead parking areas will not be plowed after this coming storm. Pittsburgh will have a bit over 3 minutes of totality.