11/24 West Bear (3290') and East Bear (3041')

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
Onestep, Pigpen, Gamehiker and I approached these peaks from the North. Passing over Twin Bridges in the metropolis of Ketchum, we continued straight ahead where the road for the Wright Trail turns Right. After a few miles, a deteriorated bridge forced us to abandon Onestep's trusty Ford Taurus, and continue on foot. ( The Taurus passed 200,000 miles on this trip, and reportedly it attributes it's long life and good health to frequent trips to out-of-the way places on back roads and rough logging roads)

We reached the summit ridge somewhat South of the high point; each new "false" summit was searched for a cannister until 4-5 humps later we reached the end of the ridge with its surprisingly open summit and nearly 360 degree vistas. With the clear skies and low humidity, visibilty was excellent: Sugarloaf/Crockers, Elephant/ Old Blue, Percys/Longs, Cabot/Weeks/Waumbek, Presidentials/Carters, and the whole Mahoosuc range were spectacular. "Bigger" isn't always better as this terrific, infrequently visited summit proved.

Not having found the summit register, we re-seached the leading candidates for the highpoint. Onestep found a broken jar at the base of one such knob, but it was clearly 10+ feet shorter than the far northern end of the ridge. The new jar is now at the SW edge of the summit clearing (one may savor the view as they sign in).

Retracing our steps South along the ridge, we turned East toward White's Notch in the col with the 3183' peak. The ascent of the East Peak's ridge was the thickest going of the day, but nothing too terrible. The summit of this peak, however, is one of those broad flat dense summits where the jar location is often far from obvious. Partially hidden by blowdown, the register was finally located on the western edge of a large sloping rocky outcropping.

The descent northwest was slow for 10-15 minutes until the conifirs gave way to hardwoods. Soon we found ourselves in a parklike stand of mature beeches where it was truly easy traveling. Behind us the summit ridge of East Bear was highlighted by bright sun and ahead of us Gooseeye and the Mahoosucs were starkly beautiful with sun and shadow dramatizing their contours.

Quite an amazing late November hike with temps in the 40's and virtually no snow! Great mountain views from this lovely spot in Western Maine! Hiking 3000 fters has led us to many such less-travelled places that in many ways are more enjoyable than their higher siblings.

mhrsebago said:
Hiking 3000 fters has led us to many such less-travelled places that in many ways are more enjoyable than their higher siblings.
As we where about to leave the summit of W Bear a mature Bald Eagle soared low overhead! Without flapping a wing this majestic bird soared the updrafts away from us towards the NW, over Larry Brook Mtn, and onward to the Mahoosuc Range. At this point when it turned S towards the Androscoggin river valley it was but a dot in the sky...

I'm forever amazed at what these lowly 3K peaks have to offer!

Onestep

Last edited:
Mhrsebago, thanks for the trip report. From what you've experienced, when 'whacking up to the Beak Peaks, Wheeler, and Black Mountains, is it better to head in from the north as you did this past weekend, or from the the Oz area of Sunday River to the east?

Pat and I have only done East Bear in this group. From the south (North Rd), it was a nice walk up a logging road and a fairly thick steep ledgy hike to the summit plateau where we gave up trying to find the canister after thrashing around for a while. I'm counting it regardless!

I've climbed it from the S with PM & DC, a lot of elevation gain on a very hot day, only got the main peak and had to go back for the other 3. We went through the narrow gap here which DC called the bear's ***
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.44708&lon=-70.95682&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=s&s=25

Also climbed it by mistake form the NW, drove up a road not on the map to climb Lary Brook Mtn but guessed wrong where we started from and wound up on the summit of Bear which had a register. This is probably the shortest approach for Bear alone but leaves the others sort of hanging.

I did it with Doug and Jeff R. the same way as Audrey and Pat, from the south. The views were wonderful, and we were able to find the register as well!:D

I did Black, Wheeler and E. Bear on a rainy day two Mays ago. Unfortunatley, I stragglified W. Bear.

The access from the South was a pleasant trip up skid trails. I went cross-country some on the way to Wheeler and Black but when I came off W. Bear, I realized the trails head all the way down from the Bear col. Quite easy navigation.

When I got back for W. Bear, I'll likely go from the north just to check it out.

spencer

I had a lovely bushwhack to West Bear yesterday. I did not find the register that you guys hung last year. I searched many summit bumps until I found an outcropping that was clearly higher than anything to the north. It was an elevated patch of Krumholtz with spectacular 360 degree views. It has obviously seen its share of use over the years, as the animal herdpath goes right by it and there is room to sit comfortably on the summit but no bare rock. There were 2 pieces of nylon cord with obvious loops for canisters, but both were empty. I searched and searched, and finally found a small screw-top plastic container with some trash in it off the back of the outcropping. It also contained a crumpled up ziplock bag containing a wet/oily register entry from Jim Crawford and someone else - I could make out the words "Beautiful Day".

Does this spot sound familiar and does anyone recall where this container could have come from? It was too small for any writing utensils to fit in it, and it had a set of teeth marks on it... the bears may have gotten to it! I re-hung a Prego jar and left Jim's register entry in it, but I didn't sign in since my jar repair kit was out of ziplock bags and I didn't want to leave my name in there with all the dampness. Any feedback would be appreciated!

We never found the "Jim C" jar. We hung a new jar a little south of the big clearing on a bump that seemed as high as any other. The 4 of us looked all over the top of that peak- 3 veteran jar finders plus me :eek: and found nothing. That was a fantastic view, one that non-bushwhackers will never get to experience.
Jim

albee said:
Does this spot sound familiar and does anyone recall where this container could have come from? It was too small for any writing utensils to fit in it, and it had a set of teeth marks on it... the bears may have gotten to it!

Albee, it sounds like your describing the place where we hung the jar. We did not come across the small plastic container though. All we found was a broken jar but it was not located near the obvious high spot.

Here are some pictures, including one of the jar we hung. Look familiar?

Yes, that looks like the same tree. I'm surprised that the jar has gone missing after only 10 months. Two different loops of nylon cord were still tied around the tree, though.

I took an interesting route to get there. I think I'll write my own TR since I found all kinds of interesting stuff along the way. It took me 4 hours to get to the summit, and 2:15 to get back to my car. This is not to say that the woods were particulary thick in there, I just took the "scenic route" over Campbell mountain first!

East & West Bear

When John Swanson, Sue Eilers, and I did these peaks in 1995, we thought the true high point was at the rear of the ridge. We found some tape (probably property marking ribbon) and followed it out to the summit which was covered with low bushes and had a wonderful view of the Mahoosics to the east. I found a jar with no cap and an old baggy. We put up a new bottle which I would not expect to survive 12 years in that exposed place. I figue the average lifetime of a jar/register is about 5 years. Always carry register resusitation equipment.