1st 4K backpack with the Dog, need suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am planning my first backpacking trip with the dog (and my first this season). I was hoping to head out later in the afternoon Friday with 2 nights of tenting, and hopefully to tag Stella's first 4K.

That said, I would love some suggestions for a trip. Here are some requirements.

1. Loop or out and back.
2. Relatively quick hike to first camp spot as we will be leaving Friday late afternoon.
3. Nothing too jagged on her paws. They are tough, but I don't want her to cut them up.
4. Safe path with no knife edges or other steps where she will be hard to work with on leash (She will be off leash for the hike with exceptions of any sketchy spots)
5. Nice views, nice tent site, water sourse, etc etc.

As mentioned, I have not been out this year due to life, pregnancies, house responsibilities, etc etc. I would like this to be fun for both of us. That siad, I will be packing more than usual to accomodate Stella, and was hoping for something on the "mellow" side.

Let the suggestions begin...

Thanks,

Bryan

For a first hike, the Mt Cabot Loop would be good. Many folks do it as a day hike but it would make a fine mellow weekend hike. If you have one car its a loop from York Pond Two choices, you could run up to Unknown Pond and camp there, the next day take your time heading over to the Cabot firewardens cabin for the next night (was not locked and no evidence of being able to lock it as of two weeks ago but check with forest service) then back down Bunnel Notch trail. You could also reverse direction and camp on the old road bed past the turn off on Bunnel Notch Trail (or just in the woods), then go up and over the mountain to Unknown Pond. The turn off the old road bed is less than an hour from the trailhead. The trails are all "paved" with rocks but plenty of woods on either side. There is some boulder scrambling to climb the last bit of trail to the Horn. Most dogs dont have an issue but some do. Dont miss the Horn it has the best views (although sunset from the Firewardens cabin this time of year is also real nice). The water source for the Mt Cabot cabin is generally reliable but very low volume. I havent been down to it in a while but its way down off the ridge line. There are instructions to it in the cabin and there is a sign. I would only want to visit it once so a water bag is handy.

Be aware there is plenty of wildlife in the area and it is remote, hopefully Stella doesnt have the tendency to run off as its a big area to get lost in. Usually there are plenty of partridge along the way to unknown pond.

Last edited:
I just introduced my dog to hiking this summer. He's a Jack Russell (16.5 lbs) and I always keep him leashed. We've done 9 of the 4k's in NH since late July.

I'm happy to provide details if you want to pm me. However, of what we have done so far my recommendation would be either Garfield or Tom, Field & Willey routes. I know the latter suggestion doesn't meet your tent site/camp spot request.

Peakbagger, the Cabot loop was the first I thought of. There is a good amount of water for the most part, it's gentle, and a nice pond to camp at. You could set up camp at Unknown Pond and have something to come back to instead of doing a loop.

We took our late pooch on Cabot via Unknown for a backpack a few years back (in and out same way). Sadie was a stubborn terrier and a bit of a wanderer, so we kept her leashed the whole time and the trail was friendly for that. Campsite was lovely with the pond. Memory is a bit faded but I believe there is a stream not too far off along much of the trail. Horn was highlight for nice views on the trip. The final bit of the horn is a big rock and as I paused to figure out how to get up, our dog Sadie just jumped up leash and all and had less problems with it than I did!! We did it as a back pack instead of a day trip mostly because of long drive for us. Lots of great memories from bringing her on that trip! Definitely agree with others recommending it for an enjoyable and gentle back pack! Have fun!

Hope your dog will sleep better in an exciting new outdoor setting than mine did!

Lauky has almost finished his second round of the 48 but we have never spent a night out camping. Sometimes in my moments of insanity I consider it :rolleyes: but then my better judgment takes over.:D I'll have to try it at home first sometime. I'm not commenting on other dogs and overnights, I know it's done all the time. It's just that Lauky is a bit hyper and prefers to keep moving. I have this thing about not sleeping all night.:(

On the other hand, if you ever need any beta about any of the trails with a dog I'd be glad to comment.:)

Hey Guys,

As usual the plan is changing. I'm now looking to leave EARLY Saturday AM and return Sunday evening. Cabot may be a long haul from Boston...

How about Garfield and the Garfiled ridge campsite? I haven't been up there yet, so I could kill a couple birds with one stone. How is the shelter, the site, and the hike?

Any other suggestions are again welcomed.

Thanks,

Bryan

The Mt. Garfield trail is one of the easier ones and fairly smooth under foot. It is only from the junction with the Garfield Ridge trail that it get rougher in either direction and steeper for the short hall up to the Garfield summit. Your dog should do fine on that.

Keep in mind that to get to the trailhead you have to go around via the Galehead trailhead because of a bridge that is out.

At least for me, my dog was always on the go. She hated to stop at peaks and rest stops. Completely selfish of her....

But, when we'd get into camp, I would tie her up to a tree or something and feed her. While she was eating, I'd set up the tent and my site area. After she'd eat, she'd crawl into tent, and crash. A tired dog is a key.

That would generally be the last I'd hear of her for the night. I could then go about my business from there. If there were two of us camping, she would snuggle between us and there was enough ambiant heat to keep her warm...maybe just with a fleece on top of her. On solo trips, I'd make sure I had an extra blanket to throw over her. I always carry a 1/3 Ridge-Rest piece, and she'd curl up on that between us. This worked, even in the dead of winter.

The mornings would kinda suck though...she wanted to get going but I'd need to eat and break camp...never fast enough for her.

Waumbek is a option. There are several unofficial campsites to the right as you leave the Starr King viewpoint. Many folks sleep out on the ledge ( a bit to sloped for me)The water source is about 3/4s of the way up the mountain. This is any easy day hike, so you could start as late as noon and have plenty of time to get up there. Its easy walking with no significant rocky sections. The views are starting to get obscured but similar to cabot. I believe the fireplace still works and there is plenty of blowdown wood on the ridgeline heading towards Waumbek. If you do go make sure to check out the new view just past the Waumbek summit. As its not an established campsite, I expect you will have the summit to yourself. There are moose are up, but the wildlife should be a bit less.

Keep in mind that to get to the trailhead you have to go around via the Galehead trailhead because of a bridge that is out

Hmm, this is good to know. I need to pull out my map and take a peak, but I assume there is a connection from Galehead trail-head to Garfield trail? It seems the Gale River Loop Road connects the two trailheads?

Hmm, this is good to know. I need to pull out my map and take a peak, but I assume there is a connection from Galehead trail-head to Garfield trail? It seems the Gale River Loop Road connects the two trailheads?
Yes, it is a loop connecting from Rte 3 to Rte 3. Some of the bridges between the western entrance and the Garfield TH are out. Just drive past the Galehead TH and it will take you the the Garfield TH.

Doug