2 NJ bear break-ins shot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I had heard about the garage damage in Stillwater which is just a few miles down the road from our home. Haven't seen any bears in our yard, yet, but we just moved in a couple of months ago. The previous owner saw them regularly, tho.

Yes, I'm curious too where they learned the behavior. It may be that they taught themselves. That is, they may have gotten used to garbage and will now pursue human food wherever they smell it, even if it means breaking in. I had bears take out all the downstairs screens in the house one night ten years ago when bread was baking inside. Ever since, at night, I never leave the windows open more than a foot high. The trend for bears to "go urban" and live on garbage is spreading quickly, and it's easy to see why: the average "urban" bear spends 8.5 hours a day feeding as opposed to the average wild bear, who has to put in 13 hours a day to feed itself. The urban bear is doing better scoring on calories, too, as its average weight is greater. Yesterday's NYT Science section had an interesting piece on urban v. wild bears. The article starts out talking about the west but shifts to the ADKs. Looks like they got it wrong, though, about urban bears in NJ.

NYT Science Section
June 7, 2005
With Carryout, Bears Find a Life-Changing Experience
By CORNELIA DEAN
Until recently, the black bears in the Nevada mountains had a hard life. Housing developments, ski resorts and golf courses were moving into their habitat. In dry years, finding protein-rich pinyon nuts, a staple of their prehibernation diet, could be a challenge. Often, the berry patches produced thin fruit crops.

About 10 years ago, though, the bears discovered a source of food that is widely available, regularly replenished and nutritious. They discovered garbage. And they have moved en masse into urban areas to enjoy it.

"Garbage is the ultimate resource for bears," said Dr. Jon P. Beckmann, who studied the black bears of western Nevada for his doctoral dissertation and now works in the mountain West as a field ecologist for the Wildlife Conservation Society, the organization that manages the Bronx Zoo.

Garbage is richer in calories than nuts or berries, he said, and it is much easier to find, turning up regularly in the trash bins and garbage cans of every subdivision. And unlike a berry patch that produces fruit only once a year, the trash bins are like a chain of luncheonettes for bears that never run out of food. Bears that live on garbage are heavier and taller than their country cousins, Dr. Beckmann said. They even have more cubs.

In the early 1990's, 90 percent of the region's bears were living in the wild and 10 percent were urban, Dr. Beckmann said. But drought in the late 1980's and early 1990's sent bears to towns in search of food, and today 90 percent of the region's bears are urban, with some living full time inside city limits or even in single neighborhoods.

"Once they discover garbage, they don't look back," he said.

Dr. Beckmann said the shift was unusually pronounced in the Nevada mountains he studied because the contrast was so great between the sparse forage of the hills and the abundance of the bins. But similar problems are cropping up all over the mountain West and other locales where bears and people come into contact.

Dr. Beckmann, who described his research in a talk last month at the zoo, came East to describe bear-control efforts to wildlife managers and other officials in the Adirondacks, which has its own nuisance bears.

"There has been a huge increase in bear incidents in the high peaks," said Bill Weber, director of the Wildlife Conservation Society's North America Program, referring to the 46 mountains south of Lake Placid and Saranac Lake that are more than 4,000 feet high. In part, he said, the increase is attributable to more building in areas open to development there.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has proposed changing rules in wilderness areas of the Adirondack Park to require visitors to keep food, garbage and toiletries in containers "manufactured for the specific purpose of resisting entry by bears." To be bearproof, Dr. Beckmann said, a container must be made of thick, nonpliable metal, and have latches in recessed compartments bear paws cannot reach.

In New Jersey and Connecticut, where the black bears were almost wiped out by 1900, populations are also on the rise. So far, urbanized bears are not a big problem in those states, but wildlife agencies nevertheless advise rural residents to invest in bearproof garbage containers; to store garbage in garages, sheds or basements; to make sure the grill is cleaned after every barbecue; and to otherwise avoid tempting bears with food.

Requiring bearproof containers is one of the few effective measures for getting rid of nuisance bears, Dr. Beckmann said, noting that when he and others captured Nevada bears and moved them far out of town, even hundreds of miles away, 92 percent returned, 70 percent in less than 40 days.

At Yellowstone, where he is working now, nuisance bears dispersed into the woods after the widespread adoption of bearproof trash bins. But naturalists are beginning to wonder whether urban living has changed bear habits so much they will have a hard time readjusting to the wild. Dr. Beckmann, who used radio collars and other means to identify and track bears, said bears in the wild were typically active 13 hours a day, in daytime, hunting for food. The urban bears were on the move only about 8½ hours and at night, "cruising through the garbage under cover of darkness."

Abundant food and relative lack of exercise may explain why urban bears are so much larger than their rural cousins. In the wild, males rarely weigh more than 250 pounds, but garbage-fed males routinely reach 400 pounds or more.

And while the rural bears retire to their dens for winter on Dec. 4, on average, the urban bears put it off until New Year's. "We had several male bears giving up on hibernation entirely," Dr. Beckmann said.

Although there are occasional reports of black bears attacking or even killing people, these incidents are rare, Dr. Beckmann said. Even attacks on livestock are unusual. But when bears are kept out of garbage cans or trash bins, they sometimes turn to cars and houses.

Black bear claws are shorter and more curved than the claws of the larger brown bears, Dr. Beckmann said, which makes them ideal for ripping open a car door, tearing a kitchen window out of its frame or clawing through siding.

He can cite many examples of bears breaking into kitchens and overturning refrigerators, napping in people's hallways after ransacking their pantries or otherwise terrorizing householders.

That is just one reason naturalists hope that bears will eventually give up the bright lights and return to their wild roots. In spite of the urban abundance of food, and the fact that urban females have on average 2¼ cubs per litter, compared with 1½ for rural bears, the overall bear population is not increasing, Dr. Beckmann said, probably because so many urban bears are killed by cars and trucks. Also, bears living in towns do not perform the ecological tasks - like seed dispersal or insect-eating - they would normally perform in the wild.

But given the sprawling growth in places like Nevada, bears do not have to move to town to find themselves urbanized. "We had a bear that had 400 homes go up right in the middle of its home range," Dr. Beckmann said. "Now it spends its entire time within those 400 homes."

Bear break-ins at closed camps and other residences have been a common occurrence/problem in the Adirondacks, for decades. I think there was a story about one walking into an eldery lady's kitchen -- while the place was occupied -- in the Inlet-Eagle Bay area just a few years ago.

Bears go where the chow is, and is "gettable" for them. That's the bruin rule.

G.

Last edited:
Its my understanding that NJ has posted "bear warnings" for all counties. A few days ago, the local newspaper had a picture of a bear crossing the road up in Egg Harbor Township NJ which is just outside of Atlantic City.

there's a bear for every 1 square mile of the A.T. in joisey. the minute we stepped into joisey at delaware water gap we saw a bear, not 1 hour later chickety fended off a 400 lb bear that was buggin' her on the trail. that's the truth!!! since then we've seen 5 more bears they're everywhere down here. there's also tons of poison ivy and deer ticks,along with the usual big ticks too. at the end of the day i can expect to have picked off at least 10 ticks of various sizes!!! :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Wawayanda has a ton of bears. Out of all the bears I've seen in NJ, a good 90% have been there, either kayaking in Wawayanda Lake or hike in or near the AT. The AT goes right through Wawayanda before heading towards Greenwood Lake and the NY Border.

The one time I was in my kayak, I was about 50ft from a mom who was up a tree right on the lake. Her 2 cubs were nearby frolicking. Well, the bear did not pay any attention to me in my yellow kayak, it was really neat, but I didn't have my camera at the time.

Jay

I just saw 2 bears while in Stokes SF and High Point SP today. Two years ago I came across 5 bears total in one hike. This was the same spot I did today. It never fails, whenever I hike the Parker and Howell trails I run into bears. This area is only a few miles from my house. This area tends have a high concentration of bears but the good ones. They still run away from people. They have not gotten the tast of garbadge. I even have a bear living in my backyard. He has not caused any problems yet. It tends to feed down in the swamp.

Hey i12climbup welcome to Sussex county. Lets get together sometime. You live less than a half hour from me :)

Twisted logic

****rant alert****

It amazes me that if a Bear, wanders on to territory that was once his and not knowing any better breaks into a house, we shoot him, but we can't shoot the morons who break into our cars at Trail heads.

We have our values backwards. We are the ones invading their country not the other way around. Supply wise, we can afford to lose many more humans than bears. If you don't want your house broken into by bears live in Boston not right next to a forest...

Big problem in New Jersey

I love seeing bears in the woods. It's weird because I feel scared although statistics show there's little danger. Hikers in northwest New Jersey see bears routinely.
I'm not anti-bear or wildly pro-hunting but this situation, politically, is trending towards a popular desire for a reduction in suburban bear encounters. Bluethroatedone's passion is admirable but his argument that bears are worth more than humans will hurt the bears' cause as it is seen by most as unreasonable.
There was a column in Tuesday's Newark Star-Ledger about the increasing bear-migration problem. There's a story almost every day about bear home and yard invasions. Two have made their way to the Atlantic Ocean, 100 miles apart, which historically is unheard of.
We're getting close to a situation where politicans can make hay by calling for much larger hunts than in the past.
Basically, the problem is that the most densely human-populated state has become the East's most densely bear-populated state in the last 10 years. NJ has three bears per square mile in areas designated for bear while PA and NY have one per square mile.
Unwanted bear-human interaction in recent years is not so much a case of recent development near bear habitat -- New Jersey has been densely populated for a long time and recent development has mostly been on farmland not forests -- but rather the need for bears to migrate out of intended areas due to overpopulation.
The state DEP commissioner canceled a hunt last year over the recommendation of bear biologists but is allowing one this year. It is expected that if 300 bears are culled it won't equal this past year's birth rate.
Recently, a wandering bear was relocated to a small forest 30 miles east of Trenton, an area that has not previously been stocked. It was a decision made without consultation with local officials who are understandably upset.
While working for a New Jersey newspaper a decade ago, I covered many of these wandering bear in the suburbs stories and got to meet and talk with the state's bear experts. They love bears as much as anyone and fear for the ones that get into traffic and situations where police have to shoot them. Usually, they get tranked and returned.
Here's the real danger: In Paul Mulshine's column, one politician said it's just a matter of time before a bear kills a child and then it's lights out for the bears. They'll be hunted down to a very small population.
One town recently got a grant for $200,000 to provide bear-proof garbage canisters. The mayor of a bear-overrun adjacent town called that "solution" deranged. He wants the bears off his streets.
Bears in New Jersey are a little like Tom Cruise, they're getting too much publicity this summer for their own good.

jjmcgo said:
Here's the real danger: In Paul Mulshine's column, one politician said it's just a matter of time before a bear kills a child and then it's lights out for the bears. They'll be hunted down to a very small population.
jj, I agree with your points (especially re. Tom Cruise ;) ) except for this one.
3 years ago a baby was killed by a black bear in the Catskills and blame was directed at the parents. I don't believe there was any change there in bear hunting regulations. There are people who value animal life over human life and don't believe that animal populations can grow and exceed carrying capacity.

Your states DEP or DNR uses seasons and limits to control populations. Tranquilizing and relocating does not work well as bear are territorial and will fill in all empty spaces as their populations increase. The bears that were killed were acting aggressively towards the police, several other bears involved simply moved away.

If a bear knocks over your garbage can or bird feeder, that's one thing.
If they are breaking down your doors to get into your home, that's quite another.

I work in Warren and Hunterdon Counties in NJ, and I've seen several bears crossing roads or in yards. I do a lot of hiking after work in the DWG but I've only seen 2 bears, and that was on one hike. I guess I need to look around more while hiking.

One thing I like about backpacking on the AT in NJ is that almost every (if not every) shelter has a bear box.

Bears must be doing okay - two neighbors on my street (here in Manlius, NY - a Syracuse suburb) reported a bear walking down our street last night. Got into someones garbage - big surprise.

another bear killed in NJ

I just read this in the paper (Easton Express Times) this morning:

SUSSEX BOROUGH, NJ - A state police trooper shot and killed a 250 lb black bear that was acting aggressively and refused to leave a heavily populated area Thursday morning.

State Police were called to the scene at 8:30 am after receiving a report of a bear "right in the middle of downtown," said Capt. AL Della Fave.

They tried to caox it away from the area, but the animal, which appeared to be injured, refused to leave.

"It didn't want to be coaxed," Della Fave said. "It insisted it wanted to go back toward that populated main street."

So a trooper shot and killed the animal shortly after 9:30 am, he said.

No one was injured during the hour-long encounter with the animal.

An undetermined number of black bears live in northern and central parts of the state. But this year, they're also seen in cities and suburbs in southern New Jersey.

Statewide, in the first five months of the year, 208 bear sightings were reported, up 142 percent from the same period of 2004.

New Jersey is mulling another bear hunt like the one held in 2003, when a six-day hunt killed 328 bears and led to massive protests by animal right groups.

Hey Pennsy where in Hunterdon county do you work? I am a Ranger at Voorhees and Hacklbarrney State Parks. If you ever hit those parks look me up. The Delaware Water Gap is a great place to hike. The closest thing you get to mountains in NJ.
Shawn

snowshoe said:
Hey Pennsy where in Hunterdon county do you work? I am a Ranger at Voorhees and Hacklbarrney State Parks. If you ever hit those parks look me up. The Delaware Water Gap is a great place to hike. The closest thing you get to mountains in NJ.
Shawn

I'm all over Hunterdon Cty, Snowshoe. I do field service work for JCP&L and cover a large area, from Columbia down to Lambertville. Hacklebarney is just outside my territory but I've snuck over there once during a lunch break. However, when I am in the Califon / High Bridge area, I'll usuall have my lunch at Voorhees. That's a very nice little state park. I've seen a ranger there several times, but he was stocky and bald. Unless your avatar is a fake, I don't think it was you. :rolleyes:

I'll look you up the next time I am there, but if you spot a P&L white van with a bald dude in it, that would be me.