NJ bear attacks 2 young campers, is wounded

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other side is that NJ waited too long to deal with their bear population issues. Unfortunately the pendulum swings.
Nobody wants a tranq'd bear dropped off in their neighborhood and it takes time for the new hunting season to have any impact, so problem bear get the short end of the deal.
Can't exactly shoot scouts for camping.

Kids smell like candy n good things to eat.

I tell ya candy/candy wrappers is the culprit.

I've found the candy sneeking into the tents after the bear bag has been hung a dozen times dispite warnings. They will give up their deordent and tooth past but sneek the candy. They think they are safe after eating the candy. The smell remains. Now that they have been "attacked" what kid is going to fess up to having candy in his tent. They are young boys and a tentmate is easily bribed.

The only way we would know is if the leaders searched the tents and the kids stuff left in the tent after the event. Proabably not something on their minds when rushing kids off to a hosipital.

Kids smell like candy n good things to eat.

Ever see a kid that doesn't wear his food? :eek:

Amen to that!

Even when they're especially careful, at least one of my kids usually has at least a tablespoon of food on her face/hands/arms/hair after a meal. When we camp, it's important that I make them change their clothes and completely scrub them down before they get into the tent.

It would have been easy for one of the boys to have had food on his body, even if he thought he was clean.