NJ bear on AT dragged camper from tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to clarify some info I posted earlier. My friends who are hiking the AT spent the day with the biologist and even got a pic of the bear posing on thier laps while she was tranquilized. The bear was very underweight, five year old female bear weighing 150 pounds. He coat looked like dreadlocks and the biologist said that is a sign of a bear who is sticking to garbage cans and spending most of her time out of the natural habitat; because if she were, the understory would "brush" her coat as she browsed and she wouldn't have been full of nappy dreads.

Just wanted to clear that up because what I wrote earlier didn't make a whole lot of sense when I re read it!

No controversy here, this is an interesting subject and I like to hear all sides of it.

Sabrina

The following was informally posted regarding this incident via ADK channels. It's hearsay only:

"*** told me at Trails Council yesterday that he'd talked to Sup't Keator about the incident. Seems a youth group entirely filled the shelter, so the counsellor slept ouside -- wrapped in the tarp under (on?) which the group had cooked supper"

If true, it goes a long way towards explaining the incident.

Bears At

I also had a confrontation with a bear at my camp one morning on the AT in High Point SP. Luckily, I was not attacked- only threatened by a bear that was not afraid of me.

I called my brother who lives there, about a mile from the park. He said the "rumor mill" is that it was "staged" and set up so they could film it etc. It will be interesting how this all plays out. A number of things were done incorrectly (in my opinion). The bear problem is not isolated in NJ. In my brothers neighborhood bears (at times) are nearly an every day happening. slam

Jade, I love animals too, and feel badly that the bear was destroyed. But what were the alternatives? Catch her and release her somewhere esle? Place her in a zoo? She was having a difficult time surviving on her own, and would she just seek out human-based/derived food sources no matter where she was?
Indeed, her underwieght status was certainly driving her and perhaps even making her bolder. Its sad that this bear had to be destroyed, but I'm not sure there was another option.

I don't think it was staged, based on the discussions my friends had with the wildlife biologist and another thruhiker who was also harrassed by a bear in that vicinity.

But what they did say, is that people are NOT using the bear lockers and that they encountered one hiker (not thruhiker) who didn't even know what they were there for. :mad:

The cruel truth is that the number of bears in New York and New Jersey far exceeds the carrying capacity of the land. The only way that the current population level can be sustained is by the bears raiding garbage, bird feeders, etc. This leads to bears becoming acclimated to, and dependent on, humans, not to mention an increased rate of human/bear encounters.

In the wild, non-acclimated black bears will behave confrontationally only when cubs are involved, or if someone interferes with their feeding (which includes trying to recover gear they have seized). Generally, they will run as fast as they can from humans. Acclimated bears, however, have a whole set of tricks up their (metaphorical) sleeves; bears are exceedingly intelligent animals.

In the short term, acclimated bears will be shot. If not by the DEC, then by hunters, for such bears are easier targets then their wary wild brethren. This selective pressure is not enough to eliminate so-called "problem bears," nor is it enough to reduce the population to natural carrying capacity. The real issue here is human encroachment and careless habits on the part of restaurants and householders. I've tracked a bear from restaurant dumpster to restaurant dumpster as it worked its way along the highway. Bears and dumpsters are not a happy combination (if one has the long-term health of the animal in mind).

Here in the Catskills, DEC has begun a public awareness campaign, with billboards, a slogan, lawn signs etc. It will be very interesting to see if this works. Heightened awareness, plus better enforcement of garbage laws, may very well help--I certainly hope so. However, I don't think that it will ever completely address the issue.

On a final note, black bears are pretty gentle animals. Despite their enormous strength, in the entire history of bear-human encounters there have been perhaps 35 deaths, and in most of these, foolish human behavior was a major contributory factor. As a general rule, bears do not turn "rogue" against humans, as with some predatory species. That's in part because bears are not true predators, unless you happen to be a berry bush. They will eat beetles, grubs, and most carrion. Only in rare and unusual circumstances will they attack another animal. When one considers the matter, a bear is poorly suited to stalking prey.

They are not our friends, nor our enemies. Ideally, they would exist outside the human sphere of influence as truly wild creatures. It is our own follies that lead to misadventure.

Ted.

Even the most human friendly attempts to educate..

..will miss the mark with some. You mention the Catskills, my close friend has a sister who lives on Mink Hollow Rd. Her neighbor insists on leaving birdfeeders and grain bins out to "feed the deer" even though there are bear visiting the feeders. (Ok, sounds like a rumor, yes, its second hand info); but this is totally stupid!

Are there regulations in NY now designed to fine those who actually "feed" the bears?

There are regulations relating to the storage of waste, at least where restaurants are concerned. A number of Phoenicia area restaurants received citations from DEC for improper waste storage last year. At the same time, to be fair, bears are immensely strong and tenacious, and most industrial dumpsters are not designed to be bearproof. I'm not sure what the story is where householders are concerned. Must admit I'm not, I fear, super careful myself, but in twenty years here in the shadow of Ashokan High Point I've not (touch wood) had a bear go after the garbage. In fact, I've only twice seen (or seen trace) of bears on my property.