Camper Survives Bear Mauling

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDEF90

Reaction score
Really strange bear behavior for the Northeast black bear.I know with black bear you are supposed to stand your ground"not run" and back away. Playing dead is not recommended, but this seems to be a pretty aggressive bear.Scary story.

Camper Survives Bear Mauling
Animal Dragged Woman Away and Covered Her With Brush

ALBRIGHTSVILLE, Pa. (May 3) - A group of campers said a bear dragged a woman into the woods, clawed her and bit her, then covered her with brush and left.

Kathleen Feeney, 21, said she was too frightened to move as the animal tore off her poncho and sweat shirt, clawed at her back and bit her head, and wondered, ''When will it stop?''

''At one point,'' she said Monday, ''the bear lay down beside me.''

Feeney was camping on the eastern edge of Hickory Run State Park with Brian Scollon, 19, and Robert Brennan, 21. They bought some food, stored it in a tent, and went fishing.

Feeney returned to the camp, found the bear in the tent and ran back to the others with the bear chasing her. The three then fled.

"At one point the bear lay down beside me."
-Kathleen Feeney

Brennan clambered up a steep slope to the Pennsylvania Turnpike and tried to flag down motorists. None stopped, but someone called state police.

Feeney and Scollon ran through bushes and tried to take refuge behind a large tree, with the bear taking swipes at them with its paws. Scollon drew his hunting knife.

''I tried to stab him,'' said Scollon, interviewed with Feeney at her home Monday night.

Then the bear dragged Feeney into the woods. Scollon said he shouted, ''Play dead, Kathleen.''

Feeney said the bear tore at her clothes, bit her, covered her with brush and tree branches, and eventually left. She said she could hear Scollon yelling, ''Run to my voice.''

At nearly midnight, Scollon climbed the slope to the turnpike, where state police were waiting, followed by the wounded Feeney.

Feeney was treated at Lehigh Valley Hospital for scratch marks on her back, bites on the back of her head and a puncture wound on her leg. She was discharged Sunday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Park officials said it was the first attack by a bear in Hickory Run's history.

AP-NY-05-03-05 22:42 EDT

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Considering the other current thread on this site on bear canisters this encounter is interesting - though Kathleen and her friends might not think so.

It raises a few "What Ifs?"

What if they had secured their food in a bear bag or bear canister?

What if Kathleen had not run away but had backed quietly away?

What if the three of them were together when the encounter occurred?

What if it were earlier in the day?

In another article on this encounter, the park's assistant manager, was quoted as saying ''We're treating it as more of an encounter than an attack.''

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_1bearmay03,0,7684973.story

Given the persistence of the bear, the dragging of the victim, and the covering with brush it sounds more like an encounter that became an attack.

All in all it might be pretty normal black bear behavior - except for the rarity of it.

-Martin

mcorsar said:
Quite a story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that running away is bad because the bears interpret the fear as aggresion, to which they then react.
Actually, I think running away triggers their "prey" impression and they instinctively go after you.

-dave-

Is it just me, or do the admittedly limited details in this story suggest that chivalry kept a pretty low profile.

i'd like to read more about this story,doesn't sound quite right to me. like the story about a year ago in n.j. about a 19 yr.old female stalked ,chased, and tackled by a bear.she then elbowed the bear and it went away. just like the story did

I grew up not that far from this state park and spent many Sunday afternoons there at family events. This area of PA is not known for bear attacks.

Here's the slightly longer news report. As for the bear's tenacity, that's the behavior of a hungry bear who's scored at campsites before, no doubt, but I wonder if these people, who went fishing, had the smell of bait on them and whether the bear pursuing them was attracted by that odor? In any event, lots of "no-no's" in this story: camping in a no-camping zone with no bear warnings, no common sense about food in a tent, and, last but not least, no charges by park authorities. Probably no future camping trips either.

Tramper Al said:
Is it just me, or do the admittedly limited details in this story suggest that chivalry kept a pretty low profile.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Her companions didn't do enough to repel the attack/encounter?

If that's what you're getting at I'm not sure if that's the case. It's mentioned one of them tried to stab the bear and they were close enough to shout instructions such as play dead. In a case like this, where a bear (or any animal really) has fixated on chasing a companion I'm not sure what you could do.

I'd like to hear the opinion of someone schooled in bear behavior on this, it is interesting that it's termed an encounter and not an attack. I assume like dave mentioned the prey reaction was triggered, but what do I know?

I admit there is much I don't know about this "encounter" but from the story, I agree with Tramper Al. I don't imagine I'm much of a match against a bear strictly considering muscle, teeth and claws but with sticks, rocks and a hunting knife there's no way I can imagine seeing a hiking companion go down without a fight.

This is from http://www.yampavalley.info/ag_and_envir0144.asp
I think I'll add some pepper spray to the equipment list.

What To Do If You Meet A Black Bear

There are no definite rules about what to do if you meet a bear. In almost all cases, the bear will detect you first and will leave the area. Bear attacks are rare compared to the number of close encounters. However, if you do meet a bear before it has had time to leave an area, here are some suggestions.

Remember: Every situation is different with respect to the bear, the terrain, the people and their activity.

Stay calm. If you see a bear and it hasn’t seen you, calmly leave the area.
As you move away, talk aloud to let the bear discover your presence.
Stop. Back away slowly while facing the bear. Avoid direct eye contact as bears may perceive this as a threat.
Give the bear plenty of room to escape. Wild bears rarely attack people unless they feel threatened or provoked.

If on a trail, step off the trail on the downhill side and slowly leave the area.
Don’t run or make any sudden movements. Running is likely to prompt the bear to give chase and you can’t outrun a bear.
Do not attempt climbing trees to escape black bears. This may stimulate the bear to follow and pull you out by the foot.
Stand your ground.

Speak softly. This may reassure the bear that no harm is meant to it. Try not to show fear.
In contrast to grizzly bears, female black bears do not normally defend their cubs aggressively; but send them up trees. However, use extra caution if you encounter a female black bear with cubs. Move away from the cub; be on the lookout for other cubs.
Bears use all their senses to try to identify what you are. Remember: Their eyesight is good and their sense of smell is acute. If a bear stands upright or moves closer, it may be trying to detect smells in the air. This isn't a sign of aggression. Once it identifies you, it may leave the area or try to intimidate you by charging to within a few feet before it withdraws.
Fight back if a black bear attacks you. Black bears have been driven away when people have fought back with rocks, sticks, binoculars and even their bare hands

Bear Attacks Their Causes and Advoidence

I have read alot about North American bears, and have watched them when given the chance. A book I found to be very interesting on the subject of bear attacks or "encounters" is "Bear Attacks Their Causes and Advoidence" by Stephen Herrero.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/products/bear_attacks.htm

If you are wondering what is the norm or not the norm you should read this book, because there really is no norm to what a bear will do. This book goes into detail of Brown and Black bear attacks in NA over the past 20 years or so. It goes into details of the attack and details surrounding the attack and should give anyone a good education about bear attacks based off of facts of actual attacks.

ruger said:
I have read alot about North American bears, and have watched them when given the chance. A book I found to be very interesting on the subject of bear attacks or "encounters" is "Bear Attacks Their Causes and Advoidence" by Stephen Herrero.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/products/bear_attacks.htm

If you are wondering what is the norm or not the norm you should read this book, because there really is no norm to what a bear will do. This book goes into detail of Brown and Black bear attacks in NA over the past 20 years or so. It goes into details of the attack and details surrounding the attack and should give anyone a good education about bear attacks based off of facts of actual attacks.
I have read Herrero's book at least twice and made my son read it prior to a trip to the Rockies last August. He literally devoured it (no pun intended). Everyone should read it and then read it again. It's pretty gruesome in places.
The chapter on the "Agressive Black Bear" is particularly pertinant. IIRC (I'll have to re-read that chapter!) a small precentage of blacks are quite agressive. The recommended course of action when faced with an agressive black is to be agressive right back and put up a fight. Running away usually leads to mauling. In this particular case I was wondering if being inside a tent had the bear's adrenaline flowing.

I agree with "encounter" rather than "attack".
The bear is an oppotunist and he did the right thing. A feast was provided him in the tent and he showed his appreciation by eating it.
The woman comes along and wants to sit at his table. OR so the bear thought. He wasn't into sharing and she ran, he chased. If he had a mind to he could have killed her. He did some damage and then left.
The North American Bear Center located in MN has great info on bears of all types. You can find them on the net.
Unfortunately these campers contributed to the Fed Bear/Dead Bear problem. If this had happened in the Smokies they would have got a $5000 fine.
They are fortunate to have not been killed or maimed for life. The bear will be lucky if he survives campers who behave in such an irresponsible way.
You just don't mess with the bears dinner that you provided for his or her pleasure.

I met a guy who lived on his own island in a chain of lakes in Canada. Another island nearby was the dump for everyone - the bears lived there. Sometimes when the dump pickins were slim, a bear would swim to an inhabited island. This guy had bear "encounters" ALL the time, both on the dump island and his own. He said that it was only some larger male bears that were "predatory" towards humans. His opinion was that if the bears lived in an area where they weren't hunted hard, a certain number of the large males would in fact become predatory just because of their combination of size and temperament. These were all black bears.

Nonsense!

Calling this an “encounter” is an absurd distortion. Regardless of what preciptated the incident, if somebody gets grabbed, dragged around, mauled and covered up with brush by a bear, dog, wolf, cougar, rabbit or human it qualifies as an attack. Period.

G.

I agree, Grumpy. Granted the campers were stupid, but an "encounter" does not involve pursuit and contact, in my dictionary.
There must be all sorts of nasty paperwork, or something, if it gets classified as an attack.

I don't know....

I would think if a bear was attacking the woman there would have been considerably more injury done to her. The bears behaviors- laying down next to her, covering with brush sound as if they are behaviors that would have been observed previously in bears and, perhaps, classified. Again I would love to hear an analysis from an expert.

I'm not sure I would be so quick to accuse the authorities on dodging paper work on this. If it was indeed an attacking behavior it is likely that there will be additional attacks therefore more paper work. Also, I'm not sure I'll readily accept that dislike of paperwork would be enough for the authorities to put the public at risk in such a way. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that more of an exception than a rule.

Make no doubt, I would think the individuals involved would call it an attack.

Maddy said:
I agree with "encounter" rather than "attack".
Covering the woman with brush suggests the bear was treating her as a food cache. It is possible that initial defence of "his" food turned into predation when she ran.

Perhaps an initial encounter turned into an attack.

So far, we have only news reports of unknown accuracy. It might be worth waiting for the official reports which are hopefully more accurate and frequently include expert opinion.

The authorities presumably have the option of changing their designation of the incident if warranted following further study.

Doug

Warren said:
I'm not sure I would be so quick to accuse the authorities on dodging paper work on this.
That comment was somewhat "tongue-in-cheek" on my part. ;)
I'm sure, however, an "attack" designation sets in motion a whole series of other events that do not occur with an "encounter".

Anywho; Bear Canister, Pepper Spray and improved food handling are my new mantras.
self-defense-store_1840_172435