20 miles for our 10th anniversary

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dory

Reaction score
The husband and I will be headed up north to spend a "romantic"(?) weekend. We're staying at the trails end inn Friday night and have an objective of Basin/Haystack via the garden on Saturday.

We're thinking Phelps to Shorey and then up and back to each mountain from the junction. I also was maybe thinking of Chicken Coop Brook as an alternate way to hit Basin..make the trip feel a 'bit' more like a loop. We're typically 'stay on the trail' people, however, I am comfortable with map and compass.

Bring on the suggestions :)

Dory

Dory, the northern sides of the valley around Basin got hit hard last winter and Chicken Coop and Basin Brooks are littered with lots of new blowdown. It may be pushing daylight to utilize either of those at this time of year.

I would do Haystack via the Blue connector, then down and past the Shorey junction to Basin, then back via Shorey as a loop. At the top of the Blue connector sits Horsehead Hill, which affords the best view of Haystack, and one of the best views in the mountains.

And happy anniversary!

ps. bring creepers...

Doc,

Thanks for the reply and the advice! Creepers??? Do you speak of crampons? I had a question on that...we have them...but I did an early May trip of Algonquin once, and there was just not enough ice to use them, it broke right thru and we'd skid on the rock. Is this more of a stabilizers/yaxtrax equipment need?

Dory

Dory said:
Creepers??? ... Is this more of a stabilizers/yaxtrax equipment need?
Dory

Exactly. Or maybe four pointers. I'd bring the shoes as well, since this week may yield some significant snow accumulations up high.

EDIT: I mean bring the shoes in the car, just in case the log books indicate they might be needed. Which is probably a long shot, but look at the first snow of last year!

Last edited:
Doc,

Roger that. We were up the week AFTER that big dump...no snowshoes, but we got some first hand experience at what "blow down" was :eek:
We'll bring all the gear, and then make the choices at the trailhead.

Thanks again!
Dory

Dory said:
...We're thinking Phelps to Shorey and then up and back to each mountain from the junction. I also was maybe thinking of Chicken Coop Brook as an alternate way to hit Basin..make the trip feel a 'bit' more like a loop. We're typically 'stay on the trail' people, however, I am comfortable with map and compass.

Bring on the suggestions :)

Dory
Of course, there's the classic loop: Don't come back down Basin, continue on over Saddleback and down the Orebed Brook trail. More elevation changes, and of course those pesky cliffs, but it's one of the most spectacular routes in the Adirondacks!

ooooo tempting tempting...i've done saddleback twice, once in winter, once in summer, never by the cliffs.

I just got back from Trails End this weekend. They had a hard rain this Friday tha stripped the trees bare and a cold spell Sat, Sunday. Great weather to in the woods. Have a nice weekend, we stayed in Rm #1, very nice. Say Hi to Kevin for me n my wife, Paul n Marie from NYC, we had a great time.

Oh be sure to eat in the Cup n Spoon at least one lunch with the locals n share some great stories. Roadhose is a nice place to eat as well.

Oh my 10th was 20 miles too, this was my 30th, we only did 2 miles up Olga. My wife hates hiking camping.

Last edited:
Dory said:
ooooo tempting tempting...i've done saddleback twice, once in winter, once in summer, never by the cliffs.

I did Basin and Saddleback via the shorey short cut route the exact same weekend two years ago. The conditions up high were two inches of crusty snow with some thin verglass on the rocky sections on the North sides... up the shorey and down the orebed brook. About 100 yards North of the summit of basin (going towards Saddleback) is a steep rocky section which was the only place where crampons were really needed. The Cliffs up Saddleback were relatively easy as they had been warmed in the afternoon sun....no ice or snow at all.
Hope this helps....
Have fun!

Congratulations on your 10th. I have not been to Trail's End since the Mid 1990's but have been by it on 73 just about annually. Glad to hear it's still worthy of romantic weekends.