2011 free parking days in WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
free parking days in WMNF this year:

June 4 National Trails Day
Sept 24 Public Lands Day
Nov 11 Veterans Day

That is exactly 50% of the days from last year, so the gov't is cutting back somewhere :-(

On Sunday all of the now-free campsites on Haystack Rd were occupied, don't think I ever saw more than half when there was a fee

Sorry but I am not familiar with this. Does that mean that this Saturday june 4, all the NH on WMNF teritory there is no fee for the parking?

Sorry but I am not familiar with this. Does that mean that this Saturday june 4, all the NH on WMNF teritory there is no fee for the parking?
Yup, that's exactly what it means. Any place where you would usually need a parking pass is free on those days.

Don't forget that much of Franconia Notch and portions of Crawford Notch are state park, free parking all the time.

And don't forget that if you use multiple National Forests, or plan to visit US National Parks, the "America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass" may be a good option to purchase. It's $80/year for those under 62.

If you're a geezer (or geezerette), you can buy a lifetime pass for $10, which includes a 50% discount on some campsites and other amenities. I bought 2 so I could just leave one in each vehicle and not worry whether I had one.

Last edited:
Or that 16 hours of recorded annual volunteer time earns you a free annual parking pass in the White Mountain National Forest.

Or that the WMNF cannot charge you solely for parking.

That they never had the legal authority to charge a fee for undeveloped campsites on Haystack Road or any other NF road.

They cannot charge you a fee for general access or for dispersed areas with low or no investment.

They cannot charge you for picnic along roads or trails.

They cannot charge you for overlooks and scenic pullouts.

They cannot charge an entrance or standard amenity fee for children under 16; or for non-commercial activities conducted by schools and educational institutions.

If a standard amenity fee is charged, they are legally obligated to provide specific amenities, including developed parking, permanent trash receptacles, an educational display, security services, toilets, & picnic tables (plural).

Source: http://www.nps.gov/training/tel/Guides/FLREA_Jan282005.pdf

Very strange, even with a note on the board at the trailhead, saying it was free parking, yesterday few friends got a parking ticket. :confused:

Very strange, even with a note on the board at the trailhead, saying it was free parking, yesterday few friends got a parking ticket. :confused:

Even stranger yet some of us went ahead and payed the fee anyway, Doh!:eek::eek:

Well I guess it makes up for all the times that I "forgot" to pay!

One of our cars received a ticket on Saturday for parking at the Crawford Trail parking lot.

According to today's Conway Daily Sun, tomorrow (06/11/2011) is National Get Outdoors Day. Fees are waived.
Of course they didn't announce it until they heard there was 60% chance of rain :)

How bout a day in Jul-Aug to please families, or Apr-May for old duffers who don't like to park on muddy shoulders :)