22 year-old man missing in High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Missing since Saturday afternoon. Looks like the search is concentrated between Marcy Dam and Lake Colden ...

"LAKE PLACID - Forest rangers and police are searching the High Peaks Wilderness south of the Adirondak Loj for a Saranac Lake man who went missing over the weekend.

Wesley A. Wamsganz, 22, was last seen early Saturday afternoon in the village of Lake Placid, after leaving the Downtown Diner, where he works. He was walking on Sentinel Road toward the Adirondak Loj area, according to village police Sgt. Chuck Dobson and Department of Environmental Conservation spokesman David Winchell. It isn't known why he was headed there, according to Dobson, but he told the last person he spoke to that was where he was going.

The search headquarters is at the Adirondack Loj, Winchell said this morning, and searchers are concentrating in the interior between Marcy Dam and Lake Colden. Winchell said there was some evidence found overnight, indicating Wamsganz may have been somewhere south of the Adirondak Loj, but declined to say what the evidence was. Forest rangers checked trailheads in the area earlier, when Wamsganz was first reported missing, but found no clues then."

Adirondack Daily Enterprise Story

Latest story from Adirondack Daily Enterprise indicates that Wamsganz's jacket is the article that was found prompting the intensive search in the High Peaks interior. Family says it is not unusual for Wamsganz to "seek solitude."

Hope search efforts bear fruit tomorrow. Sounds like they would prefer regular hiker traffic to avoid the area.

Family expresses Concerns

Sounds like they would prefer regular hiker traffic to avoid the area.
I just found out about this search in a heads-up notice email from NYSFEDSAR, along with a formal activation for the missing woman in Clay (Syracuse).

The main reason for not wanting a lot of regular hikers is they don't want the area trampled by untrained searchers.

This is obvious from the PressRepublican: "Department of Environmental Conservation Forest Ranger Jim Giglinto said they are actively conducting a "track, cut and sign search" with a crew of eight forest rangers, trained State Police officers, members of the State Police Special Operations Response Team and a canine unit."

I suspect I may get the official activation call sometime this evening. Until then it is not wise to simply show up unless called.

It's been a busy week. First a lost hunter in Montague (Tug Hill), unfortunately found deceased on the third day. Then an alzheimer's afflicted woman in Elizabethtown, found alive and (mostly) well the next morning.

Last edited:
IMHO, if that is the case, they suspect he is dead, and they do not want anyone finding a body, instead of they suspect he is alive and would welcome someone finding him.

Not really, Tom. Common train of thought would indicate that the more people the better, but in reality, if you have SAR, DEC and Special Ops in the area, you want to clear the grid so to speak. I know this has been debated before, but this is the way it typically goes in NY.

From the latest article:

"We just don't want other people out of our search effort coming in and looking for him," Winchell said. "We are hoping to bring dogs in again, and just having a bunch of traffic can interfere with our efforts."

The regular hiker traffic and the rainy, muddy conditions have made it hard for a state police canine unit to be effective so far, Winchell said. Low clouds have prevented state police from making good use of their helicopter, and high winds in the forecast may keep the aircraft out of the search Wednesday as well."

...I suspect I may get the official activation call sometime this evening. Until then it is not wise to simply show up unless called...
Yup, I just got the call. I'm on my way. I will ask please anyone else, unless you are DEC trained in search techniques, at this point it would cause more trouble than not if you were to show up on scene. Thanks.

I'm a trained DEC searcher, and I got the call also this evening, but I have to work tomorrow, even though I'd much rather be out searching. I echo what others said. It's a very popular area, and having a crowd in there will hinder search operations.

Latest Adirondack Daily Enterprise story ... no luck so far today for the 60 or so searchers. Jacket was apparently found on the opposite side of Marcy Dam on the trail heading towards Avalanche Lake.

Daily Enterprise - 11/24/10

I get the feeling this kid is a powerful walker and wouldn't be shocked to see him pop out just about anywhere if he's still hanging on.

Last edited:
Looks like the DEC is now open to volunteers in the search effort for Wamsganz as long as they are properly equipped and prepared:

North Country Public Radio - 11/26

"[Forest Ranger Julie] Harjung says the searchers can use volunteers today, but anyone showing up at the Adirondack Loj to help will need to be prepared with proper winter backcountry gear.

Anyone not safely equipped will be turned away, Harjung says."

Official DEC Press Release:

DEC Press Release - 11/26

"ALBANY, NY (11/26/2010)(readMedia)-- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) forest rangers, local and state law enforcement officials and volunteers are continuing the search for Wesley 'Wes' Wamsganz, a 22 year-old male from Saranac Lake first reported missing to Saranac Lake Police Department on Sunday, Nov. 21.

Mr. Wamsganz was last seen at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 20, leaving the Downtown Diner in Lake Placid. He is 6'3" 180 lbs., has blond hair, blue eyes, and a medium build. He was last seen wearing a green Carhart jacket, over a black hoodie w/ Bob Marley, a yellow, red and green striped brimmed beanie and hiking boots.

Evidence of Mr. Wamsganz's clothing and witness accounts indicate that he may have been on trails in the high peaks since being reported missing. Ground and aerial searches have been taking place in areas including the Northville Placid trail, Adirondack Loj, Marcy Dam/Lake Colden Corridor.

Given the weather and difficult terrain, any volunteers wishing to assist in the search efforts must be prepared for winter elements, and include in their gear: lunch, fluids, crampons, rain gear and adequate clothing. Any searchers who arrive and are not adequately prepared will be turned away. The search effort appreciates the volunteers offering their assistance, but safety for all involved is critical.

Volunteers interested in helping the search efforts over the weekend are asked to arrive to the DEC staging area on South Meadows Road off Adirondack Loj Road at 7:30 a.m. or call the DEC Dispatch in Ray Brook at 518-897-1300."

Search doesn't seem to have generated any new news today. More of the same ... good folks working hard to find any sign of this young man. I was up north earlier and it was a pretty snowy day in the high peaks region; any other clues Wamsganz may have left behind will be hard to see now. Just my own speculation, but I suspect Sunday will be the last intensive day of searching ... seems they've done just about everything to find him and a lot of time has passed. :(

Just my own speculation, but I suspect Sunday will be the last intensive day of searching ... seems they've done just about everything to find him and a lot of time has passed. :(
That's likely true, but last words from the scene by rangers this evening is final determination to continue full scale search will not be made until Sunday afternoon. Today found 6+ inches of fresh fluffy snow falling early, which of course meant 6+ inches of snow falling on our heads with ever step through the thick spruce that we plowed through all day today. A winter wonderland in any other setting, that instead today made us think we'd now have to step on the guy to have any chance of finding him. Every snow covered lump under the snow could be a hummock of earth, or something else.