222W...the end of a dream!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
Hi readers and hikers.

Yes I know I neglected You since a long time:(, excepted for a short report in answer of D. Crispo "Favorite Adirondak bushwack" in Q & A New-York You stay without news from the rabbit!!

Last Wednesday, I received a e-mail from Pierre (Onconomam) He had a hesitation between to go in the Catskill to finish his 3 last mountains in the Winter and will be a new Catskill Club member or coming with Us to summit the Kitty Cobble and the 5 other mountains in the same area.

Last Summer, with Pierre We had a memorable great time in many Colorado 14,000 summits!!! It was the last time We hiked with this increvable man!!!:rolleyes:

Pierre take the decision to come with Us.

Day one: Friday 03-13.

After a usual sleep in the car, at 4h 30 Pierre knock in the Pinpin mobile window. One hour after We started from Limekiln Lake enter, Pierre with his old venerable pack and us with for the first time a sled.

The first 8.4 miles in the snowmobile road before the Moose River Road was in a good hard snow with a couple of icy spots and for the first mile with some place directly in the gravel. The 4 next miles in dead end Otter Brook Road before old garvel road now close with a gate was a little bite in a soft snow it was the same snow conditions for the next 1.2 miles in the Indian River Road to find the West Lake trail.

If it was easy with the sled in the snowmobile road the challenge coming when We arrived in the trail.

The first 2.2 miles was not too bad excepted at one place near a beaver dam the sled stay jamed and Pierre need to help Us. A other time it was a real challenge to cross a narrow log bridge with the sled, We were nervous but without trouble. The next log bridge was longer I take a decision to turn my body I go in renverse to keep my eyes on the sled...it was the solution.

After the junction with Deep Lake trail the snow condition was very bad many time deep holes without snow We need to need to buskwack near the trail, it is not always easy with the sled to slalom around the tress!!! Many time Pierre need to return the sled when it was on the top!!!:mad:

Finaly after 7 hours We were at the Brooktrout lean to. Just the tim to eat a small snack and we take a bering in a very small noname lake change the bering and up to summit the farder mountain Northrup, nice open wood and the snow was so hard We never used the snowshoes without made one small hole. Ye!

We returned by the same way and at the South extremity of Brooktrout Lake take a bering to West Lake Mountain same snow condition mustly time in a open forest. After the summit We stay in the edge the time to find a place not to abrupt to down in the next col and up Twin Mountain. We come back by a descent directly in West Lake trail and arrived at the lean to near 6 o'clock.

The time to prepare the diner and the hot water for the night and the day after and We had a early sleep. Pierre tell me "I have a plan to start around 3 a.m We need to go outside of the bed around 2 a.m." My answer not for Me after this long day!!!

Second day: Saturday 03-14.

Unfortunately for Pierre I have my balaclava over my eyes and I open my eyes only at 6. 45. :eek:I know it was very bad for Pierre because He will have a date in Monteal at 8 p.m!!

O.K. I have pressure in my shoulders. I prepare a fast breakfast and made a speedy preparation to returned at the junction with the old gravel road. With the pressure, and with the experience of the day before + with the sled tracks it was a fast hike.

At this point Pierre take the decision to run one the road with the very light gears, I keep my usual pace but Pierre lose Us.

The snow was very hard and 6.4 miles later We arrived near a large brook without bridge impossible to cross without remove the boths! I think it is not the solution. A mesure a bering in the map and when I start.... surprise I saw it was by the road direction!!! :confused:The usual first reflexe the compass in in trouble!!!
But a teach orienterring course and a teach "Always You need to trust the compass... not your imagination!!!" I check a other time the map and I understand only in a small part of the road the road direction turn in N.E. and the brook in from is Otter Brook.

Ouf!!!! O.K. now a new bering to catch the last false summit before the small col in Arietta summit. On this fals summit We stay the pack and down fast the abrupt East side up the other side and We arrived in Arietta summit, just around 100 feets before the real top We find the Pierre tracks.

Alright, now the next goal Kitty Cobble, but the first We need to returned by the same way, just when We arrived in the col We earing Pierre "Where will You go now?" We will go in Kitty Cobble direction. "Did You summit Arietta?" Yes We did. "Before or after Me?" After. "You are faster of Me!"
Not realy!

It is a direct line from this false summit to Kitty Cobble, but the last part it is abrut and the view was gorgious. The summit is very clear not the same for the precedent flat summits!!

Pierre tell Me "Now it is the time to go by the different ways I need to return fast!!" Thans Pierre I am sorry for the last summit it is my fault....Have safely return.

The next bering keep me in a dence spruce youg forest for half hour, but East side of Deep Lake mountain was in a nice open forest, since the col before Kitty Cobble I used my snowshoes a couple time the snow was soft and the grip was better to up Kitty Cobble. With Deep Lake summit We finished the 217 3,000 feets Crispo-Swanpson list in the Winter season!!
We think We are the first but not 100% sure.
We know also since the first Pierre e-mail, now the list has 222, With Eric Schlimmer at the base camp We find 4 other summits it was my list 217 + 4 but now We need Scotch Lake the 222e.

We take a bering directly in the middle of Wolf Lake and change a little bite in the N.W. after and We arrived after We up 2 hills near the gate. It was at 4.30. p.m.

Two choices put the tente up or start to return at the car. We eat a bar the first since the breakfast!! We started to return at the car. Four hours later, with more gravel spots in the last mile We arrived at the car.

We drive to Indian Lake, stop at the Steward, eat a subway, drink a couple of pusss!!! and slep in the car at 10 p.m.

Day 3: Sunday 03-15.

At 5 a.m. We drive to Speculator stop at the small restaurant, take a good eggs ans saucises breakfast and drive to Piseco.

We had a early start, after one mile We put the snowshoes on, after 3 steps HO! Ho! the snowshoes crampon is broken. Made reparation and with 2 different bering We summit Scotch Lake mountain ew minutes before 9 a.m.

The time to made a reverence in the four directions to tell at the all 221 other mountains a venerable THANS for this doubble things: CHALLENGE & HOSPITALITY.;)

Now, this is the time to turn the page of the Pinpin familly story in the ADK area.:)

BY!!!!

Toutes mes félicitations Alain!

T’es pas toujours jasant en randonnée (comptage de tes pas oblige), mais comme dit le dicton amérindien « on ne juge pas un homme à ce qu’il dit, mais plutôt à ce qu’il fait »; et là j’ai énormément appris de toi mon mentor et maître vénéré. MERCI !

Mon seul regret c’est de ne pas avoir pu être à tes côtés sur Deep pour célébrer en toute humilité, comme toujours, le privilège d’avoir goûté un bref instant d’extase terrestre.

À la revoyure mon ami.

Pierre

P.S. What next for the rabbit?

Last edited:
You know how much I like this one.:) When we sat at dinner after your 92 goal last year and I said I one day wanted to finish this list in winter I near fell off my chair when you said, "I only have 17 left"!!!

No GPS, no altimeter. Just the way we like it my friend, with the woods and the map what more does a rabbit need?!:cool:

I wish I could have joined you for the last and shake the 3th hand on reaching such a goal. He has become the man like a virgin on prom night.;):D

I wish you the speed and health that you have carried for so long on all your future goals.:)

PS You have not made mention of the other big goal? Should we give the double congratulations?

Pin-Pin,

You're the Tiger Woods (woods, get it?) of peakbagging and bushwhacking. :D

Your finish is so incredible I can't even begin to imagine it. Very nice going.

Congratulation Pin Pin for this great accomplishment.

I will never hike those mountain, just had lots of trouble with all
the branch in my face all the time.

Now that you are done with the Daks, lets me know if you want to
go to NH for others mountain....The 175 summits of 3000 footers of
NH are waiting for you in the winter.

I told you I had total faith in you finishing this year :D
Congratulations !

You've got both my thumbs up and my toes up.:D

The adks won't be the same without that little bunny, please say it isn't so that PinPin is looking for other woods to play in!

Awesome, simply awesome write up.

Congrats PINPIN!!

And thank you for being my HERO!!
You have incredible style and your smile ain't bad either! :D

Tout simplement extraordinaire!

Now, this is the time to turn the page of the Pinpin familly story in the ADK area.

BY!!!!

Alain, even if you leave the music generated by the zillions of your footsteps will be resonating in the forest till eternity. PinPin will never be forgotten as he is now and for ever after an Adirondack legend.