2nd trip and blisters!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
I learned quit a few things yesterday...no specific order...

1...gotta do a better job at reading online tide charts..."Where's the water?"

2...call before going to rent...all that was left was a double..but he took a Dagger Specter Airlight ...had a rudder

3... Don't hold the paddle to tight...2 blisters...think 1 happened because my wedding ring was rubbing into my skin..

4...bring more water to drink

5...try not to push to much with my feet because I kept turning the boat side to side...but I did enjoy using the rudder after a while...

I went to Boarders (have gift cards) bought 2 kayaking magazines and for the first time I didn't stop and look at the Backpacker magazines for the first time in 3 years...reason was because I also got my first cortizone shot today in my good knee (1 scope) waiting to figure what to do to the bad knee (3 scopes) :(

Trip report...went to the same place as last week...more wind and current...tried a Dagger wit rudder...had to take off my water sandals because they were to tight in the foot area...got 2 blisters on the right hand..swear that I wasn't holding the paddle that tight, but guess I was....if all goes well I'll take a lesson on Wed night at a different place...oh yea...I picked up a really light paddle for .....wait....here it comes.....................................................$349 :eek:

here are 10 pics...take care...http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2329053620065582691FiXjHS

coldfeet said:
oh yea...I picked up a really light paddle for .....wait....here it comes.....................................................$349 :eek:
Good investment!

The easiest way to improve your paddling enjoyment in any boat is to get a light paddle.

SK has the answer.
A good lightweight blade and paddling gloves.
Even though I hold the blade lightly,I "work" the blade a lot,especially when I'm playing,and I can end up with blisters,so I wear paddling gloves(fingerless)

Might want to get some good neoprene water shoes too. Much more comfy in the cockpit. Make sure you get the ones that drain in the heel.

coldfeet said:
3... Don't hold the paddle to tight...2 blisters...think 1 happened because my wedding ring was rubbing into my skin..

The big reason not to hold the paddle tight is that a tight grip prevents you from keeping your arm and shoulder loose. Your arms and shoulders will get tired much faster if they are not relaxed. An easy way to see what I am talking about is to make a fist and sqeeze it tight. Your whole forearm and shoulder tense up. A death grip on the paddle will wear you out in no time. Your push hand should be wide open, almost like you are waving at someone. Your pull hand should be curled like a hook, but not fully grasping the paddle shaft - just a hook pulling on it.

coldfeet said:
5...try not to push to much with my feet because I kept turning the boat side to side...but I did enjoy using the rudder after a while...

One of the many reasons why I prefer a skeg over a rudder. With a skeg your feet are fixed, so you can brace yourself and have firm control over the boat.

- darren