3 days in the Whites, then music!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandside

Reaction score
...or my idea of a good time!

We got a nice condo in Jackson for Sandi's birthday Thursday with a plan of getting two more 4000 footers of each of our lists.

We hiked Wildcat A in the rain on Wednesday. Temps were warm and the rain was not constant, just enough to make us uncomfortable. Sweating on the inside and raining on the outside, our layers doing their best to keep us warm and dry...

I was concerned about crossing the slide, so I came with ice ax and crampons at the ready but when we reached the slide the snow was still quite deep and had a good safe footing across. The rest of the hike was a breeze....except there was no breeze! Didn't take many photos due to the rain and lack of VFTT.

We took the day off Thursday and enjoyed the surroundings.
Friday we headed north to Berlin to get Cabot done. We had debated using the "closed" trail from the west after reading a few trip reports stating there was no grumpy landowner around, but Sandi was concerned we may get accosted so we opted for the safe, if longer, route in from the north.
York Pond Road was nice and clear, we parked at the trailhead for York Pond Trail and started in.

Conditions were great for hiking. We did see some post holes, even though it looked as if this person had been wearing snow shoes they were still post holing if they had stepped to the side at all. I imagine this was from the last day of winter....when the temps were much warmer then today, the first day of spring, because today, the trail was like a sidewalk, very firm and crusted over.

We made our way up Bunnell notch to the Mt Cabot trail and on to the cabin where we stopped for lunch and photos. We then made the decision to drop our packs...:eek: for the short walk to the summit and back.
After leaving the cabin and heading back down, a mean ol' tree must have reached out and grabbed Sandi's Sigg bottle, because soon we noticed it was gone, she made a valiant effort t return to find it but soon realized we had descended more then she realized and we turned back down and gave it up to the mountain.

After enjoying a good soak in the hot tub, we were feeling good the next day.

Now the music part, I have been playing with the band "Jah Spirit" for the winter while the lead singer is away to Trinidad and come to find out we were playing for the New England Telemark Festival at Bretton Woods on Saturday! I heard the guy doing the raffles say that Dave Metski was photographing the event, and I thought, I will have to go meet him... Nice meeting you Dave! We gave them a great show, enjoyed by all, young and old, and then my enjoyable week was coming to an end.

Here is a video of images from Cabot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mlO2_kL2p8

29 for Sandi, 37 off my NH 48 list... and she's after # 30 for this weekend...

Awesome TR! I'd love to come hear you play in the band! Are there any other dates besides this Sat? I'm not sure I can make it that night.

Many congratulations on Cabot and Wildcat A! :)

Happy birthday, Sandi!

Last edited:
Totally awesome TR! Loved the enhanced video effects! Loved the part about the band, the hot tub, the hike.... it doesn't get any better than that!

islandside said:
Now the music part, I have been playing with the band "Jah Spirit" for the winter while the lead singer is away to Trinidad and come to find out we were playing for the New England Telemark Festival at Bretton Woods on Saturday! I heard the guy doing the raffles say that Dave Metski was photographing the event, and I thought, I will have to go meet him... Nice meeting you Dave! We gave them a great show, enjoyed by all, young and old, and then my enjoyable week was coming to an end.

Here is a video of images from Cabot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mlO2_kL2p8

29 for Sandi, 37 off my NH 48 list... and she's after # 30 for this weekend...

Too funny! Dave mentioned that--we always give him grief that he can't go anywhere without being recognized.

And hey--you guys ROCKED! Thanks for the wonderful entertainment. :D

Nice TR . . . and loved your video presentation . . . a great way to capture the flavor of the ENTIRE hike.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jah Sprit Band is playing at Harlow's in Peterborough NH on Friday March 27th, and then next, Islandside band plays at Saunders in Rye Harbor NH on Friday April 10th, then Jah Spirit Band at Partners Pub in Fitchburg MA. on Saturday April 18th.

See you on the trails!

Last edited: