35mm slide scanner advice ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with single purpose slide scanners? I'm looking to digitize 35mm slides from a large collection saved over the years.
There is a lot of conflicting information and multiple pro/con reviews. I'm looking for a mid priced, high resolution slide scanner, one that does a good job without a lot of hassles.

Thanks,
Alan

I've been using an "Epson Perfection V300" photo scanner for several years now. It works well, and is able to digitize 35 mm slides, color negetives and photos. It's a little slow depending on the set resolution, but I think most scanners are. It has a lot of enhancing features. I think that I paid around $100 at the time. Probably Epson has a more udated version on the market, but mine does a good job for my purposes. I had taken slides for years and am doing what you're about to do. I hope this helps.
Wolfgang

I tried this. Went through a couple of scanners and a lot of time then I switched to using ScanCafe http://www.ScanCafe.com

They've scanned several thousand slides for me. And some prints. I'm happy with the results. For me their pricing is reasonable when I factor in my time. Especially if you wait for a sale, which seems to happen fairly often.

I've been using a Nikon CoolScan 2000 with an automatic slide feeder. You can get pretty good results running a batch of "similar" slides through the feeder, but to get the best results you need to tweak the scanning for each slide to adjust for film type, color balance, lighting, exposure, etc. And this process tends to defeat the advantages of the automatic feeder. I scanned 6000+ slides with the feeder, and then went back and did a hand-tuned scan for each of the best images. It takes time.

Note: The CoolScan 2000 has been replaced with a newer model, I believe the results are similar.

I started shooting slides in the 70's. Mostly Kodachrome25 and 64. They are sorted by trip, by area and in metal slide safes. All 13,000 of them.
Some of them simply catalog a hike; some are very good, shot with 2 camera bodies and a variety of lenses and filters. Even if I decide to scan the best, and most representative of each hike or trip, it will be a slow, little-at-a-time process. If I try to do them all, or even a large proportion of them on a steady basis, I'll get tired of the process, so hoping to do them a little at a time.
My first preference is to have the digitized photos look as good as possible, with ease of software and use, and fairly quick output a close second.

This is the closest thing to a review that I've been able to locate:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/35mm-film-scanner-roundup.

Last edited: