7.5 hrs for Cannon roundtrip on May 1, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Players:
Arm
Darl58
Stevo
Adventurous
Hui Yeng
MtnPa
Mats

Gear:
Two 60 m ropes
Four snow pickets
Two Snow Anchors
Harnesses, Ascenders, Pulleys etc

We pulled into the parking lot where about 40 people or so with snow shoes gathered for a metup.com event. They took off up Kinsman Ridge Trail to Cannon while the seven of us got coaching from Nif (who had to go back to work) in the tram parking area before we decided to head up the ski slope. It was snow all the way but the temps were warm so the melting rate was high. A few people headed up with skis.

After about 500 vertical feet we came upon a good looking 2 feet deep crevasse and we decided to do crevasse rescue for the next few hours. Each person did a couple of Z-pulley set-ups and pulled the victim out of the wicked crevasse. The baking sun came out and also we started to see waves of metup.com people cming down the snowfields from above. They had already traversed the mountain!

We finally packed our gear and continued up the mountain. The sun and the reflecting snow made it feel like we were hiking in the tropics. Tooks ome breaks here and there before summiting and then we decided to set up a top rope in the tower so we could practice hauling ourselves out of a crevasse Texas style with ascenders. It was nice to be in the shade! A helicopter was transporting stuff to Lonesome Lake Hut most of the day from the parking lot below the ski area.

Somoen started to talk about what to have for dinner and we suddenly got incentive to get down the mountain. The cafeteria on top was closed for the season otherwise they would have gotten some customers. The lower section where we walked up in snow was mostly melted off now.......summer is coming quickly now.....:)

What a great way to spend the day!
I think I've used the ASOD descent myself.
Are they now letting people hike and ski there? It was always verboten. Once we snuck down but I was practicing my sore ankle speech if we were caught.

fun practice day ... wrapped it up sledding down mashed potato ski trails on an ASOD :)

some folks will do anything for free beer ... especially if the stairs are out of order

here's a picture of Mats rescuing his heineken from reaching its expiration date

http://community.webshots.com/user/armclimb

... bark we go ...

Great pics...like the head-dunking shots, too!

Great day with training and fun friends!!!:D

Steve-o was the first one to fall into the crevasse...:eek:

Then we had to do lots of thinking...

Then we rested....hoping for a lift that never happened,,,,Rescue practice is exhausting!:eek:

Then we got to practice climbing out of crevasses with Arm as our experienced guide! ;)

rest of pics: (A few of Arms are also in with mine)...
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/CannonMtnTraining?feat=directlink

A very fun day indeed!!! I can't wait to do it again - although next time will most likely not be on snow.

Thanks Arm, Darl and Mats for showing us the z-pulley setup with ascenders and for setting up the Texas Style Crevasse Rescue. Playing on the tower was FUN!!!

We got quite a few "what are you guys doing" comments/looks from people who walked by our setup in the crevasse. I'm sure there would have been more had anyone actually come up to the tower while we were there.

Arm - glad the ASOD came in handy - I knew I carried it for a reason. Buttsliding on your track worked just fine...had I followed behind on the other ASOD...it might have turned ugly.

All those meat-up people but no grill!!?? Oh, wrong kind of meat.

Always good to finish the day a little smarter than you started.
Thanks for the education :cool: