8.21.05 47-48 Kinsman Ridge hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poison ivy said:
Fishin Jimmy is in my top three of worst trails ever (along with Garfield Ridge and Osgood...) because it was slippery, extremely buggy and took forever to descend... it seems to go on a lot longer than the mileage indicates! I'm sure my level of tiredness on that particular trip also played a role too, as with the other trails I didn't like much.

- Ivy

can definatly agree with you on that. i just did it this past weekend and wow was that long. i kept wondering after awhile if i was going in the right direction since it was taking so long. turns out it was only an hour but that was the longest hour of hiking i've done to date.

i will say though going up could be fun......and it beats descending the Kinsman Pond Trail, yuck.

Okay, to make sure what happened last week doesn't happen again to me...
where should I meet and at what time? I will have to high tail it back to Stamford on Sunday night... early work day on Monday so I can't stay around long at all so IDEALLY, it would be cool if my car could be where we end and I could just hit the road for CT. Let me know where you want me to be, Brian.

Poison Ivy and I will be heading up and back on the Mount Kinsman Trail.

If the weather deteriorates or you just need to bail I can haul a few bodies and packs in my van to wherever they need to go :)

Bob

poison ivy said:
I'll be there on South Kinsman, Brian... but coming up a different route. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you fast folks on the traverse! :)

Do you have a general time estimate on when you'll be reaching S Kinsman?

- Ivy

If we chug along I think we might get to South Kinsman by 12:30 plus or minus a half hour.

carpooling and parking

Hi everyone! Just an update on the carpooling.
Looks like we're all set. If anyone else decides to come along just drop by at 7:30 at the tramway parking area. Thanks everyone!

at 112:

Bob and Geri
Lendawg
coldmountain

at Cannon:

chinooktrail
MEB and Little Sister
Myself
drewski?
others?

at 116 Mount Kinsman Trail:

poison ivy
hikerbob

Just to add to Brian's post... HikerBob & I plan to start at 6 a.m., just in case someone else decides to meet up with us. You could certainly start later and catch up to us, as we don't move particularly fast! :)

I'm looking forward to your finish Brian and am thinking SUN for the day! :)

- Ivy

Yup - the relaxed hiking group will be ambling in on the Mount Kinsman trail.

Looks like a few distractions along the way with the site of the former Kinsman Cabin, Bald Peak and the mini flume to check out. That'll be our excuse when the main group still beats us to South Kinsman :D

Bob

Last edited:
Is little sister bringing baked goods? Curious minds want to know.

Rumor has it that Little Sister and MEB will be having a bake off with us as the judges!

Brian - Drewski is coming as well as Sherpa John & Lolly, who will be catching up to us.

FYI - we are typing this from the top[ of Mt Washington!!!!

Just wondering if anyone going on this trip knows how to use a GPS, and would be willing to help me out with mine. I have inherited a Garmin eTrex Vista, and think I would like to learn how to use it. I will attempt to load the trip into it tonight... no promises. :rolleyes:

at 112:

Bob and Geri
Lendawg
coldmountain
Dr. Wu

at Cannon:

chinooktrail
MEB and Little Sister
Myself
Dr. Wu
drewski?
others?

at 116 Mount Kinsman Trail:

poison ivy
hikerbob

You never can tell, can you?

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Got it... Lincoln Woods at 10AM, wait for Sherpa John! No, that was last week! 7AM, parking area off 112, wait for Brian! Got it! And Little Sister and MEB are doing a bake off??? NICE!

poison ivy said:
Geez, Dr. Wu, I feel so left out!! :)

- Ivy
dr_wu002 said:
You never can tell, can you?

-Dr. Wu

Ask Eric (Barbarossa) about Dr. Wu's accuracy in terms of arrival time, trailhead location etc. I might be taking the tram up Canon.

-Dr. Wu

Bake Off??

I'll see what I can whip up in the kitchen today for goodies......but you have to promise to eat everything right away so I can lighten my pack!! :D

See ya all tomorrow!

-MEB