99% of Garfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

It's been over a month since my last hike. Flu and other health issues have kept me down. For a 'get back into it' hike I decided to hit the Gale River Trail and go for South Twin if I was feeling up to it or Galehead at the very least.

Well, I knew both ends of the loop road were gated but could see no obvious legal parking spot at the east end. Rather than risk a ticket I backtracked to the west end (or is that north and south?) and found plenty of space - I was first there. Is there legal parking at the other end?

I had decided to save Garfield for my last NH 4k but it seemed fate wanted me to take a stab at it today. No service on my phone so I couldn't update the 'worriers' on my change of plan, but I'm a cautious hiker and knew others from VFTT had planned on going up today so figured someone would know where I was once they caught up and overtook me.

Headed up the gated (but perfectly drivable!) forest road at around 7:30 with a temperature of 1.5* F. After a short while something kept bugging me under my nose. Booger? Nope - turned out my current facial hair fad had grown a Turnbillesque snotsicle! The temperature steadilly rose as the day went on, reaching a balmy 25* at one point, so this was a passing annoyance.

Once on the Garfield Trail the going was much prettier. Just a dusting of snow over icy patches to begin with then increasing amounts of snow as the trek wore on.

The stream crossings were somewhat unnerving but actually pretty easy. Not fully bridged there was a deep, rushing channel about a foot or so wide edged by ice shelves. Poles were useful for sounding out the ice which was quite strong right to the edges. No wet feet.

Onward and upward. Snow cover was up to a couple of inches but bare-booting was still OK. There were many, many tracks from small to medium sized critters but mine were the first boots since the last snowfall. Then, I was puzzled to see what appeared to be fresh boot tracks ahead of me.

Turns out they were recent moose tracks. It appeared the moose had been working its way down the trail, stepping off here and there for a quick munch. Whether as a result of my approach, or just a whim it seems as though the moose did a 180 and headed back up the trail and off into the forest.

It was about this time that I was caught up to by a speedier group (every one is speedier) of four who decided now was the time to don snowshoes. I carried on a little further bare-booting but after they whizzed by I decided it was snowshoe time for me also.

As I was fiddling with the shoes three more hikers caught up. I asked if they were the VFTTers and they said they had checked out the site before heading up. Sorry guys, didn't get your names and don't know if you post or not. They barebooted a few yards ahead and then they too stopped to put shoes on. I passed them by and fully expected them to catch me in no time. I actually got a quite a way, into the switchbacks, before they caught up.

So, two groups ahead of me as I huffed and puffed my way on. The trail is not that demanding but I always have trouble on the up and having just recovered from a nasty bout of flu my breathing was less efficient than normal.

I met the speedy group heading down and they said I was a few tenths off of the Ridge Trail Junction.

I had set myself a turn around time of 12:30pm which I would push out to 1pm should it be a close thing. I don't mind hiking out under headlamp but would prefer not to.

I made it to the Ridge Trail junction at 12:53. I knew the final push to the summit was short but demanding and also knew I would not make it by my latest turn around time of 1pm. The fact that I had also planned on Garfield being my final 4k decided the matter. I would head down.

I don't have the same breathing problems going down so kept up a good pace. I kept the snowshoes on until arriving at the section that follows a small stream bed although I could have ditched them a little earlier.

When I reached the trickiest stream crossing I found that there had been some additional melting during the day and my orginal route across now looked far to risky. I followed the other groups tracks downstream a short way to where the stream widened a little and there were more rocks and solid ice. No problem getting across there.

The sun, which had barely crested the ridge all day, was now getting quite low and the shafts of light through the forest gave everything a warm glow. It was a very pleasant hike out through the lower part of the trail.

Back at the forest road and a quick munch, slurp and adjustment to socks and lacings then it was the final slog back to the car. Seemed to be further on the way out and tired limbs and aching joints wished for the trudge to be done.

As I rounded the last curve and saw the gate I whipped out the keys and hit the remote starter. A chirp announced that the warming process had begun.

The matter of the recent car break-ins crossed my mind but I found everything to be in order and as I was unloading myself into the car a 'Law Enforcement' (that's what it said on the side) SUV pulled in and stayed long enough to decide I was harmless before moving on.

So, didn't take the trail I had intended and didn't bag a peak. But Garfield is still there for when I finish my 4ks and I had a great day out in the woods after my long break. It's not always about making it to the top. Today just being out there was enough.

Bob

I'm glad you were able to get out hiking this weekend Bob! Even though you didn't summit, I'm sure the hike was terrific!

I panicked initially when I saw the title to the thread & thought "Oh no! Did I miss Bob's final 4K?!?! (while sitting here bored at work as well!)" I'm glad I didn't miss it!

I can't wait to see the pictures!

- Ivy

Nice report, Bob. Thanks. You did darn well to get as far as you did after flu. And, anway, the view from Garfield is so good, hence the former fire tower, that you'd want to have had lots of time to look around and shoot pics. As for parking on the east side of the Gale loop road, I don't know if it's technically illegal but not a good idea if they haven't widened it out with a plow.

Pics are up and can be found starting HERE Without the grand views from the top nothing too special although there is a 'Mystery Mountain' pic I'd be interested on folks ideas about.

Ivy - You think I'd sneak my last 4k without telling anyone? :rolleyes:

What I wouldn't give for a good pair of lungs! Checking the picture timestamps I found it took me 5h 20m to get up and 2hr 45m to return.

Waumbek - the gated entrance is well plowed but trees sport 'no parking' signs. There looked to be spots one could park on the roadside, but I doubt that is permissible. I guess parking where I did and slogging along the road is the best bet.

Bob

HikerBob: I'd guess Cherry Mtn and Mt Martha.

Nice report! I'm hoping to head out for a few nights over XMas vaca, will try Galehead and Garfield. Hopefully we'll have some snow as I want to tow the sled to a basecamp. If interested in joining, eMail me. You'll be the fast one on this hike.

I am glad to see that you are feeling better. I enjoy reading your trip reports and as always your pictures are wonderful, I really like the one of the feathered snow. The day I climbed Garfield it was gray and misty so needless to say no views that day and I'm looking forward to going back.

HikerBob said:
Well, I knew both ends of the loop road were gated but could see no obvious legal parking spot at the east end. Rather than risk a ticket I backtracked to the west end (or is that north and south?) and found plenty of space - I was first there. Is there legal parking at the other end?
Bob

I'm not 100% sure it's legal, but usually they plow a large area on the North side of Route 3 across from the East end of the loop road (I believe it's right at the Trudeau Road/Route 3 interesection). I've parked there several times while winter hiking the Twins and Galehead without any problem and have seen many others parked there over the years. I'd probably pass on the spot if I was expecting snow so as not to be buried by the plows.

Sherp - Yeah - looking at the map again that looks like a better fit. One day someone will come out with a camera that records GPS co-ordinates, and the direction the camera is pointing in three dimensions and maybe the temperature and altitude too...

MEB - Thanks - the flu (and some other fun stuff) really knocked me about and I'm still not fully out of it.

Paul - I did notice the apex of Trudeau Rd and Rte 3 was plowed clear and if there had been other vehicles parked there I'd probably have joined them. Just wasn't sure if it was legit.

Awesome pix -- as usual, Bob! It looks like a wonderful hike in the woods that you had. And I'm with Ivy -- I'm glad you didn't wrap up your NH4Ks without me! :D

when do you expect that you'll climb this one again? I'd be interested in joining in, like I did on Carragain with Posion Ivy. Especially if HarryK brings the same beverages that he did on Carragain.

HikerBob said:
Headed up the gated (but perfectly drivable!) forest road at around 7:30 with a temperature of 1.5* F. After a short while something kept bugging me under my nose. Booger? Nope - turned out my current facial hair fad had grown a Turnbillesque snotsicle! Bob

Your pictures were beautiful! When I climbed the Garfield trail it was at night so I missed how beautiful it is. Thanks for showing me.

I thought maybe the Turnbillesque snotsicle! would have made the pics :D :D :D

Snotsicle

HikerBob said:
...turned out my current facial hair fad had grown a Turnbillesque snotsicle!

Hi Bob,

I didn't realize I had set the standard for snotsicles. Well, it's good to be known for something I guess! Great report and pictures as usual.

Last edited:
Yay Turnbill!! Dang, that Kinsman trip seems an awful long time ago now. Covered a few more miles since then and every twist and turn reveals some new gem of nature. Hope to see you out and about this winter.

Just to clarify things for those who may be a little grossed out... Snotsicles are (mostly) formed when the moisture in ones breath freezes as it hits the cold air. Ice likes to cling to something and facial hair is just perfect. Of course, sometimes they are the real thing! Ewwwwwww!

Don't nobody worry that I'll sneak my final 4k. I'll be so darn pleased with myself on that day I'll be paying people to come along :D As it would seem I'm never going to get any faster on the up I still reserve the right to start an hour before anyone else though :rolleyes:

15 more to go, have to see how many I can knock off for winter too :)

Bob

Nice report and pics, Bob. I did an overnight at the Garfield Ridge campsite on Saturday the 11th. Up the Garfield Tr, and down the Gale River Tr. I too saw fresh moose tracks on the lower portions of the Gale River Trail.

River is icing up quite a bit from when I was there.

Here's a shot I took on the summit Sunday morning, it was overcast all weekend so I couldn't see any of the views down over the Pemigewasset or the backside of the Franconia Ridge. :(

231405411zPpXoL_ph.jpg

Arm -- I'd be interested in that if you wouldn't mind a bushwhacking newbie & slower hiker on the trip... :)

HikerBob: The pictures were great, especially the frozen brook ones & the feather snow!

-- Ivy

Last edited:
HikerBob - Great report and beautiful Pictures! My one trip up Garfield went from sunshine at the base to 10 feet visibility & 70 mph winds :eek: Looking forward to trying it again and seeing those great views I've heard praises of. Hope your final 4k is on a nice clear day!

Bob
I noticed your caption on the trail sign picture (the anti AMC graffitti) I was up there several weeks ago and on my way up we were greeted with a nice, new sign (of whick I took a pic). On my way down not much later, the sign was defaced. My buddy and I speculated on which hiker did it (yes, perhaps some of that non PC "profiling") We were bummed that it was written on such a new sign and with permanent marker. Who brings a Sharpie with them while hiking? Probably someone intent on defacing signs. Nice pics though!

I'll disagree with Sherpa, not thinking Martha unless that is North Twin Ridge in the foreground. He may be heading up there Wednesday before a planned hike he has on Hancocks for Thursday that I'm joining him on so we can debate about it some more...