A Bond-ing Backpack - 8/23 & 8/24//12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
We were feeling withdrawal symptoms after leaving Baxter last weekend, so we got our mountain fix with a two day backpack to the Bonds on Thursday and Friday. #44 and #45 are now in the books after an AMAZING trip. Hancocks and Carrigain to go...

Here's the story: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-bonding-backpack.html

and oh, those views!

Hazy morning on Zeacliff
IMG_4564.JPG

Mt Bond for #44
IMG_4604.JPG

Approaching sunset on West Bond
IMG_4617.JPG

Nice Idea

Wow, nice trip report! I am planning a Bonds trip, and never thought about hitting the Bonds after making camp at Guyot. I like this idea a lot! It means a shorter hike out the next day when we may also try to bag Hale. I would also love being on a summit for a sunset! I think we could do the out and back from Guyot in 3 hours plus rest stops for photos - maybe 4 hours total. We could easily make it back to camp at a reasonable time for another dinner or dessert.

We may not get to this until next year since one of my sons is off to college next week, but I am sending them the link to your trip report so they can see what to expect.

Mark, great report! Spectacular stuff as always, especially sunset on West Bond. I really enjoyed reading about your overnight experience, and was happy that it turned out perfectly and it sure looked like you and Nat enjoyed this one.

I didn't see this one coming so quickly after your Baxter trip, looks like your poised for a fantastic fall finish of the 48.

Mark,
I don't think life gets much better than hiking a couple 4000 footers and watching the sunset at the summit:). Also, would agree that for some of us hikers being able to break up the Bonds and Zealand is a great idea. Fabulous hike again! You guys are sooooo close now. You'll be hitting the Hancocks soon.

Donna:)

Nice TR and photos. I had done that on my Bonds trip: Sunset from West Bond. Also stayed on the ridge above Guyot (site was packed) but hiked to Bond in the dark and hit Bond Cliff for sunrise. It was such an epic journey. Going the other direction I came back and did Zealand and Hale after breakfast.

Wow, nice trip report! I am planning a Bonds trip, and never thought about hitting the Bonds after making camp at Guyot. I like this idea a lot! It means a shorter hike out the next day when we may also try to bag Hale. I would also love being on a summit for a sunset! I think we could do the out and back from Guyot in 3 hours plus rest stops for photos - maybe 4 hours total. We could easily make it back to camp at a reasonable time for another dinner or dessert.

We may not get to this until next year since one of my sons is off to college next week, but I am sending them the link to your trip report so they can see what to expect.

Thanks Mark! The out and back from Guyot for all three Bonds in 3-4 hours is definitely doable. The key is dragging yourself away from the views - particularly sunset :) Hope it works out for you as well as it did for us

Mark, great report! Spectacular stuff as always, especially sunset on West Bond. I really enjoyed reading about your overnight experience, and was happy that it turned out perfectly and it sure looked like you and Nat enjoyed this one.

I didn't see this one coming so quickly after your Baxter trip, looks like your poised for a fantastic fall finish of the 48.

Thanks Dan! The sunset on West Bond was definitely the highlight of the trip. We definitely didn't have this one planned so soon after Baxter, but with a bunch of stuff coming up in September (mostly non-hiking) and two perfect days forecast we couldn't pass it up. And it's happening again this week...

Mark,
I don't think life gets much better than hiking a couple 4000 footers and watching the sunset at the summit:). Also, would agree that for some of us hikers being able to break up the Bonds and Zealand is a great idea. Fabulous hike again! You guys are sooooo close now. You'll be hitting the Hancocks soon.

Donna:)

Thanks Donna! You're so right on all counts. If the stars remain in alignment the Hancocks will be done in a couple of days and we'll be down to the finish line

Nice TR and photos. I had done that on my Bonds trip: Sunset from West Bond. Also stayed on the ridge above Guyot (site was packed) but hiked to Bond in the dark and hit Bond Cliff for sunrise. It was such an epic journey. Going the other direction I came back and did Zealand and Hale after breakfast.

Thanks! Seems like Guyot being over capacity is more the rule than the exception. Your approach definitely turned this one into an epic journey! Nice!