A Christmas Eve Visit to the Franconia Ridge (24-Dec-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
The weather conditions for the higher summits as predicted by the Mt. Washington Observatory were simply too irresistible to pass up. By mid morning, I could no longer resist the urge to spend a portion of Christmas Eve in the mountains. So, I opted to head up the Franconia Ridge via the Falling Waters Trail.

Before reaching the area around Cloudland Falls, I had already peeled off all my layers and was down to shirt sleeves.
Although perspiration was dripping off me, the liquids around me were suspended in a frozen state.

Ice Display Along Falling Waters Trail
1_Ice.JPG

As I began gaining altitude, I kept glancing up to admire the colbalt blue sky and to take an occasional snapshot. In the photo below, I presume the tree with red berries is Mountain Ash, and I presume that the white streak seen through the branches is probably Santa on his way?;)

Blue Sky Through the Trees
2_Ash.JPG

Once I was on the ridge, it was obvious that a clear day was not being enjoyed by everyone!
Looking to the west and to the north, my "undercast" was an "overcast" for folks at lower elevations. Cannon and the Kinsman Ridge were visible, but were surrounded by a sea of clouds.

Cannon & Kinsman Ridge Surrounded by Clouds
3_WestVu.JPG

Looking northward toward Garfield, there was also a fair amount of undercast.

Northward View Toward Garfield
4_NorthVu.JPG

However, there was no undercast when looking northeasterly toward the Twin-Bond Range with the Presidentials in the background.

Twin-Bond Range with Presidentials in Background
5_NE_Vu.JPG

And, there was also a perfectly clear view looking eastward over Owl's Head toward the Bonds and Carrigain.

East View Toward Bonds & Carrigain
6_EastVu.JPG

Oh! And, the view southward was also good, but with some haze and some signs of undercast particularly to the southwest.

Southward View
7_SouthVu.JPG

This hike was done for pure enjoyment, with no list or other goal in mind. And, with a mid morning start-time, I was uncertain how far along the ridge I'd actually get. By the time I got to Mt. Lincoln the wind had picked up and there were some pretty impressive gusts. Also, it was nearly 3 PM and I had Christmas Eve plans. It was tempting to complete the classic loop which would have not been all that much longer to do. However, considering the time and the increased wind, I thought it best to just take the shortest route and head back the same I’d come. Besides, why be greedy?! I'd already had a marvelous day!!

With the firmly consolidated snow pack on the Falling Waters Trail, the return trip went very quickly. Just as the last ounce of daylight faded away, I was back at the trailhead. More importantly, I was home in time to hang my stockings by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas would soon be there!;):).

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great report and beautiful pics. Yesterday morning I got just high enough on the west side of Mansfield to see that blue sky and detect that my cloud ceiling would soon be a cloud floor if I were to keep going upward. I love going up high when it's like that.

Your pics are absolutely, positively beautiful.
This is your "greenie" because I have to spread the reputation around.

Merry Christmas!

Nice!!!

Looks like a perfect day in the mountains.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the trip report for those of us who weren't there. I went downhill skiing instead.... it was great too!!!

those are some great pictures John..what a fine day to be up high..

Sadly I was southbound driving rather than uphill climbing....

Merry Christmas

Thanks everyone for adding a treat to my Christmas stocking by your nice words about my report & snapshots. I'm fortunate to have good health + the good fortune to live where I live, which allows me to do this type of hike on a last minute whim.

John,

Outstanding report and pictures as usual! Thanks for sharing your day.

Great news and views, John! I think I was under the undercast that day - what a difference a few thousand feet makes! Looks a tad chillier than when I was up there in November, though.

I've been away from this site for several weeks and it was a welcoming blessing to find your warming report to get me back in that hiking mood! Time to dust off the snowshoes... hope to see you on the slopes sometime! :D