a couple of macro pics to critique

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
tree frog on my deck. I like this one except for the band of blurred color;

IMG_1029.JPG

This one does not have that blurred band;

IMG_1027.JPG

this is basically that last pic with the color band;

IMG_1033.JPG

I don't know if it makes much of a difference as I was obviously trying to get a close shot of the frog. Any opinions on what my options were are welcome.

My favorite is the first - the frog is more personalble :) .

You could always crop out the color band, and even go as far as rotating the photo so the frog is lengthwise if it suits your liking.

I also believe that the first photo is the most successful of the three because of what appears to be an inquisitive expression on the frog's face -- as if contemplating the meaning of life. Who knows what is really in the mind of a frog beyond the next cricket, but it is always fun to speculate. And for that reason this is a good and interesting image.

I am not bothered by the blurry green background. In fact I find it useful in that we can see definitively that the frog is hanging out in a vertical position (as opposed to an image that was rotated by the photographer).

In the other two photos the frog almost appears to be on the verge of dozing. It is interesting that a tree frog might be able to sleep in a clinging position. But they appear more static and do not allow us to contemplate as much about what the frog is thinking or up to.

Last edited:
I agree with the above as far as the frog's expressiveness, etc. HOWEVER, the shadow in #1 is very distracting to me. I like the amount of shadow on #3 better. If you could only keep the shadow (on #1) on the wood post, but avoid it on the frog's neck and arm. I know light doesn't work that way.

Anyone else have thoughts on the shadows, positive or negative?

Looking at it now, I agree the shadow in the first is distracting. I have a few others that are similar and will review those to see if they are better in this regard. To be honest, the frog spent so much time on the other side of the slat in the shadow, that when he came around into the sunlight I just started clicking. He did appear to be sleeping in the sun unless he was moving. FWIW: apparently this is a gray tree frog and was about an inch and a half long.

The shadow doesn't bother me too much, but yes it might be better without the shadow.

He was leaning out to jump to the next fence slat.
Just like a true hiker or climber. Never satisfied with just one view. Always seeking a better one. Looking for a better or warmer place in the sun. This frog has found the meaning of life.

In cases like this I sometimes think it important to resist our impulses to ascribe human characteristics to non-human things.

I agree with those who find the shadow in the first photo distracting, even though I like the “pose” of the frog best. If I had to choose a “best of froggie” picture as a documentary, it probably would be photo #3. That one really shows the remarkable detail of its outsized feet. But I think the photo is cropped considerably too tight on the right side.

Including a swatch of color reminds us that we are looking at a color photo, which in turn communicates with emphasis the frog’s capacity for camouflage.

G.

I liked the full version of photo #1 but I cropped it into a landscape format.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2643624140027359582eigxkk
I like the blurred background and it gives the image more depth as does showing some of the grain on the post behind the frog. I liked the shadow and the way his rear leg is outside of the shadowed area. I also like the knot in the post as it seems to mirror the frog's own eye. Good shot!

JohnL

I like the wider swaths of color. They provide more context and a sense of place to the photo. I also like John's crop into a landscape format. Although including the deck surface gives additional context, I believe we see enough that it is a human created environment without the surface.

While my comments which "ascribe human characteristics" were purposely over the top and somewhat in jest; I firmly disagree with Grumpy. We are humans, and it is very natural that we should make these connections. It is why we find these images compelling and interesting. We do share a common fate and destiny with all living organisms. While it is fairly certain that animals don't share our depth of reasoning and self reflection, some yearnings are shared. Even if if the frog's purpose in jumping around was merely to become warmer and more comfortable.