A Day Pack for Doctor Wu

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very happy with my Arcteryx Bora 40 for long days and light overnights. But.....the side pockets on my mine don't hold Nalgenes. Maybe this year's redesign does....it is a 50L now too. They have a smaller 35L as well. They are a little overpriced, but being Canadian made, well-designed and for fitting nicely was enough to hook me. I found mine on sale for $150 .....but the bottle thing doesn't match your spec.

dr_wu002 said:
What's people's experience with GoLite Packs!? I don't care about the weight issue -- I'm bound to load my pack with crap anyway,
-Wu
I don't have experience with GoLite BECAUSE when I was looking last year, the outfitter who was helping me out was very strong in her opinion that it wouldn't hold up to my demands. I tend to pack heavy and travel roughly. I wound up with a Kelty Blanca that I love. http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.ShowProduct&type=Pack&ID=82 The only issue is that it has too many pockets. For the first couple weeks I used it, I kept losing things inside of it!

Gris said:
Dr. Wu, I've got a brand new winter daypack (used once) I'll sell you at a discount. It's a Dana Designs Sluskin 45 (black/size medium). Google it, go try one on at REI then if you like I'll sell to you at whatever price you think is fair. :D

Dr Wu, Check out this pack. I did the last half of my W46 with a Sluiskin 45 and love it. Great profile for the tight stuff (it was designed for ice climbing) the beaver tail shove-it unhooks at the bottom so you have lightning fast snowshoe or snowboard carrying. You can also use the shove-it for sitting on, for it is made of closed cell. Ski slots, you can break it down in a bunch of different configurations, the top lid comes off, you can cinch back that annoying hanging loop out of your way, hydro pocket, crampon pocket in the back that holds wet stuff, the lower section is anatomical to cradle your lower back, etc...... Mines logged about 100 4K's and going strong!

Happy hunting...

Affixing Snowshoes

Lotsa good packs named here. As for attaching your 'shoes, you may just need to improvise, depending on the pack you get. The couple times I've carried snowshoes on my small pack I just used two small accessory straps. I stacked the 'shoes one on top of the other and strapped them to the little handle on top of the pack which you use to lift it when you're not wearing it.
They just hang off the back, and really don't move much if you pull the straps tight.
If you're just talking your MSRs w/o the tails, I'm sure you'll figure out a way.
There might still be a way to get them on the pack you have now. The other day I noticed Funky Freddy straps his snowshoes stacked on top of his pack-I'm not sure how.

Matt

P.S. Or, you could just go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...d_csp_1/102-8503044-6704961?v=glance&n=507846

Last edited:
Remember if you get side pockets for water bottles then you will not be able to get your snowshoes attached to the sides. Also be carfull with packs that have zippers to close the main part, they can break if you overload the pack. Thats why I always prefere straps. Plus having a top lid that straps lets you put a jacket under it. Try looking at specific Alpine or mountaineering packs. They are usually built specifically for winter use in mind.

If you have a top flap, you could put the snowshoes under it, I think that is how Fred might of strapped them on. However, for bushwacks through narrow trees, that isnt the best option as they'll tend to hit branches and stuff.

I've found for bushwacking, getting the snowshoes on the sides of back as low on the pack as possible works best. Definitely use some kind of 'biner or strapping to lock it on the pack so it doesn't get knocked off. If the snowshoe is too high and/or over your head, it'll get caught in low branches alot and will be a pain to keep freeing it.

If you find a daypack that is made for a snowboard, typically you can use that for snowshoes too. My Dakine Guide is like that, has diagonal ski carriers but also a verticle snowboard carrier system that one can use for snowshoes.

I recommend the Dakines if you like gadgets and lots of straps! The Guide is like a neat winter pack that was designed by Q from James Bond, I think. It actually has a manual for it on how to use all the various straps and stuff.

Jay

Wu,
I have had a Marmot Talus for 2 years and love it - I haven't seen anybody else with one, so don't get one, I need my individuality :D
Seriously...
my snowshoes (and my sons) go on the back of the pack just fine. It has a top fleece lined pocket for binocs, sunglasses or GPS and the quality is superb.

I've probably put around 400 miles (or more) on it so far and it has been very comfortable to wear. It is a bit tight for full winter dayhikes, but otherwise it is very roomy for 3-season.
I also like the fact that I can remove the hipbelt (I just came back back from a trip with it on a plane) when traveling on airplanes/across airports.