A little solitude while catching a few Z's, 06/05/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Peaks/Trails: Zeacliff and Zealand Mtn via Zealand Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Zeacliff Trail, Twinway
Date of Hike: June 5 2011, Sunday
Trail Conditions: all in great shape, nothing major to speak of
Special Equipment: lots of bug dope
Cast of Characters: just me, no bird (flamingo off getting a pedicure), yes, those chickens do have sharp talons

Some Comments:

- Had to abort on Saturday's hike with CrazyBob, Jim, and Shawn due to work issues
- Sunday was quieter, so decided to take a walk in the woods
- The goal was to hit a new area and trail. A walk into Zealand Notch and up Zeacliff trail was on the bucket list.
- A 8:30am start up the Zealand Trail, and soon I was on something new heading down the Ethan Pond Trail. This is part of the AT and obviously gets its share of traffic. But I didn't see a soul and it was nice to just be out in the woods alone.
- The Ethan Pond trail continues through Zealand Notch and is sheltered to start. Then boulder fields start appearing and eventually you break into the open at the Zeacliff Trail intersection to see some fantastic views. Looking North, you could see the Zealand Falls hut in the distance. Looking South you could see towards Carrigain.
- Zeacliff can be seen rising high above the notch on the opposite side. The Zeacliff trail goes down quite steeply and crosses a stream before beginning the steep climb. Real nice trail, that doesn't get a lot of use. Nice rock slabs just before gaining the peak.
- I decided to save the views from Zeacliff until later. It was just before 11am, and I wanted to put some more miles on. So I decided to head over to Zealand. Why? Well, from last summer, I remember this section of the Twinway being an enjoyable hike. Lots of bog bridges and rock slabs. There were some obstructed views over towards Hale and the Twins as well. Ran into a couple guys at Zealand burning a pipe (obviously for medicinal purposes). It was to ward off the bugs, I was told.
- Although tempting to keep going over to Guyot, I decided to head back and make it over to Zeacliff. Will save Guyot and the Bonds for another day.
- Ran into LRiz and company along the Twinway. They were going as far as Zealand as well.
- Last summer on a Bonds traverse, I didn't take the time to go over and check out the views from Zeacliff. Now it was time to stop and smell the bacon. I love bacon.... The views were better than anticipated. Great views of Zealand Notch, Hancocks and Carrigain. Every time I see Carrigain, it seems to get bigger. Had lunch with 40,000 flying guests.
- Finished up, put on the knee brace, and began the uneventful trip down. Arrived at the parking lot at 2:05pm. Fast trails, not a lot of elevation gain, and just a couple breaks, made for a quick hike.

Zeacliff from Zealand Notch
SAM_1266.JPG

Looking South down Zealand Notch
SAM_1268.JPG

Looking North up Zealand Notch
SAM_1275.JPG

Flowers in bloom along the Twinway
SAM_1287.JPG

The Presidentials behind the Willey Range from Zeacliff
SAM_1296.JPG

Looking across Zealand Notch from Zeacliff
SAM_1292.JPG

Trip stats: 12.1 miles, 2800ft of ele, 5hrs 35min

Slideshow from this trip^

Ascent List:http://peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767
All Hiking Pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher/

Last edited:
PETCH . . . just my opinion, but you picked a trek that I think is one of the best in the Whites!

Excellent photos, and a concise report . . . a great combo!

The ZeaCliff Trail is really awesome -- I agree that headwall at the top is a hoot --hope you took a side trip down to Zeacliff Pond -- another somewhat off the beaten path gem.

Excellent trip report and photos. It's too bad you missed out hiking with the crew on Saturday, but it looks like you had the same awesome views we had.
Is it considered a solo hike if you hear multiple voices in your head?:D:D

Nice one Petch. Zeacliff Trail is a road less travelled, but it is a nice trail. A group hike is a great way to spend the day, but there is something nice about soloing. Glad you had a great day.

Thx for the comments folks!

Sabrina: I didn't make it down to Zeacliff Pond :(, next time.....

And as Ian Hunter (80's rocker) put it "You're never alone with a schizophrenic"

Petch

Petch--I would also agree that this is spectacular underrated trek that makes for a great hike with diverse terrain (beaver ponds, waterfalls, steep cliffy areas, views). I completed it in the opposite direction two weeks ago. Descending Zeacliff was slow going, but also fun, and with care not harrowing. It did feel wilder than most trails (complete with tons of moose poo), but I was surprised to encounter five different parties, including some sneaker clad folks and a large group of parents and small children-- so perhaps its may be a bit more frequently used that thought.