A Partial Winter 6-pack Adventure (Long Trip Report Alert)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
Dates: Feb 21 – Feb 25, 2007
Peaks: White Cap, North Kennebago, Snow COP, and East Kennebago (one or more each)
Conditions: DEEP, FLUFFY powder on the trails and unbroken roads
Gear: BIG Snowshoes, poles, skis, Imodium AD
Notes: This trip report is a rambling story in my usual long winded fashion; feel free to skip it if it is too much to read. Others will post pictures, hopefully.

This trip began in the wake of a failed attempt to plan a winter Baxter trip which fell victim to multiple scheduling conflicts. Frodo and I finally got our act together and invited a group totaling 12 to join us for an aggressive attempt of the peaks in Maine termed the 6-pack. Our group of 12 dwindled down to 8 in the final day/hours leading up to the start of the 5 day trip. I was at a cancer research conference in Santa Fe and arrived back home at 1 am on Wednesday Feb 21 and spent almost 3 hours cooking and packing for our trip. Then a thoroughly exhausted Brian and I drove up to Eustis to meet up with the rest of the gang. I was pretty nervous about the trip considering the Western Maine peaks had received almost 3 feet of snow in the huge snowstorm of the previous week and a scouting trip by Frodo and Sir Edmund/Jeffery 3 days earlier indicated that we’d be heading into vast unbroken terrain.

When the other 6 hearty souls arrived at the general store in Eustis near the campground, we loaded my sled and Brian’s backpack and ourselves into their cars/trucks which were AWD vehicles and left my 2WD car parked at the general store (very generous and kind folks). We got to Tim Pond Road around 11:45 to find it plowed and thankfully wide enough to drive up. Along the way we had a few hairy but successful passes with the logging trucks and finally arrived safely at the turn off for Kennebago River Rd road where we dug out spots for the 4 vehicles, got fully geared up and loaded our sleds to get a start on Phase 1 of the trip. The group of 8 consisted of Donna, Meri, Sean, Hamtero, Jeffery, Frodo, Brian and I . . . with all of us but Hamtero skiing and most except Hamtero and Brian pulling sleds.

Luckily for us the road had seen snowmobile traffic and the 5 to 6 mile ski into our camp for the night was mild and took me under 4 hours. We set up a nice campsite on snowshoe flattened areas and even had a comfy “kitchen” area, where we got to see the hanging of tarps by the very acrobatic Sir Edmund. Once our tents were set up and latrine areas dug out, we proceeded to melt snow for water and eat our meals before retiring early for what was for me the first real sleep I had gotten since leaving Santa Fe 36 hours earlier. Exhausted from my travels I slept through the night waking finally to Brian’s gentle nudging at 5:30am. Finally at 7:30am, our eager group got on the trail headed towards our peaks for the day. We had a mighty ambitious list on the menu for the day and I pretty much knew I would be happy to get 1 of the 3. The original plan was to get North Kennebago, Whitecap and Boundary. Early on we stayed together mostly and the going got pretty slow with trail-breaking beginning within a mile or so of our camp.

I knew from my pathetically short stint at the lead that the group would soon be leaving me behind. After a short misstep, the stronger hikers did indeed get ahead of us, leaving us the lucky recipients of a broken trail. Sean, Brian and I brought up the rear of the group. The going was pretty good until we got the point where the “bushwhack” began up WhiteCap. We saw a couple of sets of poles left at the start and proceeded to follow the tracks into what became Spruce Trap Hell. Given how many times we got trapped . . . it is hard to imagine the efforts of the trailbreakers. I just know it must have been a gargantuan job. Occasionally I’d hear a string of curses behind me as Sean kept experiencing the pitfalls of the wrong size snowshoes. After crawling into and out of spruce traps, between narrowly spaced trees, into and under “hobbit” trails, we FINALLY began to see a light at the end of the tree tunnel.

Unfortunately, I got an icky feeling that this wasn’t the summit as I could see another summit slightly to our North through the trees. However, there was a maze of footprints all over the summit-like area and just to be sure we didn’t miss the canister, if this indeed was the summit, Brian and I went exploring. There must have been a couple of dozen intertwining trails in every direction. The snowshoe prints made it clear which way the other had headed out, but Brian and I performed and exhaustive search of the other 2 dozen options, just in case. Finding nothing canister-like, we finally decided that the “other” peak to the north must be Whitecap. So, with Sean following closely behind, we dropped into a small col and headed back up, following in their tracks. About a quarter mile from the summit, we saw the rest of the crew descending from tagging the peak. We had a short discussion about the route for the descent that wouldn’t take us back over that false peak. They left us to climb Whitecap, knowing we might head back to camp after that, while they went onto North Kennebago. Sean, Brian and I soon got to the summit, signed the register, and ate a snack making the FAST descent off the peak. The last register entry before our group of 8 was back in October of last year.

Within 20 minutes we were at the start of the bushwhack to North Kennebago. They had left us an arrow in the snow, pointing us back in the direction of camp. However, I was really psyched to head up NK and so convinced Brian to join me. The trip from there back to camp was very straightforward on an old road, broken out for almost the whole way and Sean was motivated to get back to camp to start a fire and begin the party phase of the trip so we said our goodbyes and he headed back to camp while we continued on towards the second summit of the day. A few trips and falls later, we were making pretty good time up and eventually ran into Frodo coming down towards us. He was surprised to see us since we weren’t sure we’d make the 2nd summit. We told him that Sean had headed back, thanked them for breaking trail for us and went up as they went down. Tagging the summit was easy in comparison to getting into that darned canister. Finally after signing the register, we booked it off the summit, making it back to the old road just in time to pull out headlamps and head back to camp. We were exhausted when we arrived back at camp so I can’t even imagine how the trail breaking machines felt.

We spent the evening eating, melting water, warming ourselves by a campfire and chatting about our day. I felt really good to have tagged both summits and know I could have never made it without my wonderful hiking friends who broke out all those trail miles. Thanks guys. I went to bed with every intention of joining the group for the “side trip” up Cupsuptic Snow on our way out to the cars. However, morning brought a late start, with stove issues and with Brian feeling unmotivated, we decided that we’d skip the peak and head out with Sean. Jeffrey headed out early since he had to get back home, and Donna, Meri, Hamtero and Frodo went to bag the peak. By the time we moseyed our way back to Sean’s truck, it was 2pm on Friday and we were a little surprised to find all the vehicles except Sean’s gone . . . we were like “WHAT happened”. Soon we realized they must have decided against the summit and headed out. The way we felt, with every little bump feeling like a mountain, who could blame them for not wanting to break out another trail. We met them back at the Maine Roadhouse for the second phase of our trip.

Continued . . .

After eating some snacks and a potluck dinner, we all decided on Snow COP for the next day. I had a chance to catch up with Al, a friend I had made back on a Baxter trip 2 years ago . . . Hi Al :D . . . Some time after I had headed to bed; the plans took a turn to include hiking Boundary the next day since the road was rumored to be plowed. So, the next morning we drove to the road to find it was plowed but had 2 LARGE signs that forbade the use of the road without permission. Being unwilling to take the risk, we went back to our original plan of Snow COP. Our group had grown to 11 hikers this morning as Arm, MEB, Steveo, JC and GO joined us for this hike. We strapped on skis and made our way down the gorgeous trail for some fabulous skiing. This is the best snow conditions in almost 2 years.

One in our group had already spent much of the night dealing with gastrointestinal (GI) issues and unfortunately for Brian and I, we weren’t going to escape the same fate. Brian began having problems first, followed quickly by me. The day which was supposed to be a relatively easy ski/hike/ski of 16 miles RT, turned into an epic. After multiple scrambles off trail to address said issues, we made slow progress towards the summit. After a 5 mile ski to the trailhead, we switched to snowshoes and continued to follow the rest of our group up the mountain. With all our stopping, we figured we were hours behind them. Soon Brian began to feel better; however, I suffered for much of the rest of the day. Unable to eat or drink water because it triggered my “issues”, I fast found my energy sapped and the going up was slow even for me. I was determined to make it however.

Eventually, at the base of the most “white knuckle” steep section, we finally met up with the others descending. The general consensus was that Brian and I should turn around with them. Listening to 2 really good friends whose opinions I greatly respect tell us to turn around was tough to ignore . . . I was truly feeling uncertain but GO seemed to think we could still make it and so I decided we’d give it one final push. Getting up that STEEP, SHORT section took about 10 minutes but within 53 minutes of saying goodbye to the rest of the group, we finally summated Snow COP. The area near the summit was breathtaking with its pure crisp white rime ice covering every exposed surface. The wind was blowing hard and I was happy there was no canister to sign because I just wanted to tag the summit and get back to the “scary” section before dark. The fire tower cabin that I had sat inside just a couple of years ago was smashed to bits and lying on the ground, a victim of the elements.

The descent to the scary section took longer than I first figured because our beautiful smooth trail which had been intact moments later was completely annihilated by a moose with footprints as big as Hamtero’s snowshoes. Three-quarters of the trail back to the scary section was busted up and postholed. My ankles kept twisting and we had to get our headlamps out before the scary section. Getting down that exposed slab area left me with shaky knees and a deep sense of relief when we finally navigated off that part. The rest of the trip out was uneventful and done by moonlight and headlamp with fierce winds in some of the more exposed sections. I was THOROUGHLY spent and promised Brian that we would pass on the hike for Sunday. I had survived the 16 mile RT on HALF a liter of water and 1 candy bar. At least my issues had stopped. We finally made it back to the hostel about 3 hours behind the rest of the group. Everyone else was already in bed, so we showered and went to bed for a much needed rest.

The next morning I woke to see them off, say my goodbyes and thank yours before I headed back to sleep in before heading home. Six crazy hikers from our group made it to the start of the hike up East Kennebago on Sunday, two returned before summiting and four of them succeeded. One of them will fill in the blanks on this part of the trip.

As for myself, Brian and I were fortunate enough to spend 4 days with an AMAZING group of friends, camping 2 nights. Skiing, hiking and bushwhacking a total of 38 miles, bagging 3 of Maine’s remotest NEHH peaks and learning just how much we could endure and still continue on . . . Thanks Brian for indulging my insanity . . . even though I am NOT officially working on the list, you are the BEST !!!

The trip was GREAT, let’s do it again soon.
I didn’t remember to bring my camera so the pics will be from those who took pictures. They will also fill in their part of the story.

sli74

Reactions: arm
Great to hear that you were able to get away from the grants and get out there hiking! It sounds like quite an adventure. Winter makes those peaks in many ways easier and more fun, and yet at the same time so much harder and challenging.

Sad to hear about the cabin; it was a scary mess but still standing in the summer of '05 when I was there. Is the cab still on the tower or has it fallen yet?

Sorry about the "issues"; be wary, they can garner someone a reputation if not careful...

I look forward to the camera-carriers' pics!

sounds like an impressive trip everyone. Got any maps of the trailheads? :) I'll be up that way 3/10-3/18 and I would like to at least attempt a few of these Bushwhacks along with my 4000 footer goals. I'm hoping for no major snowfall between now and then :)

Nice report, Seema. Nice to see your group at the Roadhouse. You guys were so friendly and it was real generous to share all of your Pot Luck treats - Hamtero's wife's cookies were especially delicious!

I'm impressed with all the work your group did. It sounds like you all had miles of trail to break, with a select few doing the lion's share of the work. Good job, everyone! We broke out about 5 miles of trail on the way to the boundary swath, and another 2 miles or so on our attempt at COP Snow from Big Island Camp on Sunday. It was hard work!

I wasn't the one that procured our permission to use Canada Rd., but Al spent some time calling the logging companies and the local fish and game authorities, and he was able to ascertain the status of the road and the necessary permissions. Maybe he or Doc Ross can post some info on who to call if you were inclined to try for Boundary from our route before the next big snowfall.

Cheers!

Reactions: MEB
arm said:
Snow COP tower frame is still standing ... the tower cabin is smashed on the ground

Thanks, Arm. I noticed when I was up there summer '05 that the cabin was collapsing around the tower (ie, edges coming down, floor staying on the tower, thus looking like the floor was going up) and given how progressed it was, didn't think it would take long.

What a great read! I love Snow Mt in the Chain of Ponds due to its remoteness, really loved the hike when i did it about 6 years ago. As I recall, the summit tower was a bit rickety back then, not surprised it fell down. Thanks for sharing the experience.

I love reading your trip reports, Seema, and this was no exception. Your spirit carries through your writing, I can feel your pain (well, not exactly, but you know what I mean!) and your triumphs! Congratulations on setting a goal and striving to meet it - it's all about just being out there.

hope to see you soon,
katie

On Sunday after Snow COP, steve-o and i hiked up burnt hill at the suggestion of GO - figured we'd take in a less strenuous hike before the 240mi ride home. the views were best, could see Katahdin no problem.

Couple pics:

http://www.stillriver.org/vftt/168-6826_IMG.JPG
http://www.stillriver.org/vftt/168-6829_IMG.JPG
http://www.stillriver.org/vftt/168-6830_IMG.JPG
http://www.stillriver.org/vftt/168-6832_IMG.JPG

totally broken, easy climb up, but windy,windy,windy on the exposed summit.

surely a nice area of new england to be hikin' ........... so bad w*rk exists to prevent more time from enjoying it.

Hey F-Face, good meeting you...a very big thank you to all, I had a great time. A big hug, kisses and major thanks to the "manly men" of our group for the really impressive trail breaking...you guys are the best ever.

Can't wait to do more winter camping and hiking with all of you.

Meb be careful of those leaking vents at the Roadhouse.

Happy winter hiking!

Thanks everyone for a wicked fun weekend! I just wish I had been able to join you all for the first half....the camping sounded like a lot of fun. These were definately two hard hikes but it was not so bad as the company could not have been better.

Many thanks to Peter-Pan and all the guys who did the majority of the trail breaking :)

Oh yeah....those leaky vents at the roadhouse....scary stuff :eek:

-MEB

Fun Stuff!

Nice TR Seema. Your determination is amazing.
I was relived to see you and Brian stroll in the roadhouse late Sat night.
You were fortunate to miss the " leaky vent fiasco " What a mess.

Great to get out and hike with some new folks as well as, the usuall suspects.

Steve-o