A Rock Shoe for ADK Slide Climbing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
Looking for opinion/ recommendation on a good rock shoe for slide climbing.
I've tried crampons, hiking boots, sneakers, dirty socks, etc.
Looking for something sticky yet comfortable for a day on a slide.
thanks.

I like These !Look under Footwear then approach/hiking. These shoes have Stealth Rubber just like climbing shoes but fit and feel like a lowtop hiker. Definite Classics!

I can't give you any specific recommendations, but it sounds like an "approach shoe" might be what you are looking for. These are essentially very light hiking boots with a sticky sole intended for rock climbers to use on the hike and "semi-technical" terrain approaching the real climb.

In general, modern rock climbing shoes are very uncomfortable to walk in, so while they tend to be very sticky, they are likely to be too uncomfortable for this application.

Perhaps some of the current rock climbers will chime in with recommendations on favored models of approach shoes.

Also hiking boots vary widely on their stickiness on steep hiking terrain--perhaps finding a sticky hiking boot might do the job too.

Doug

Approach shoes are good to wear car-to-car. Another option is to carry rock shoes and change for the slide. Rock shoes are not very big or heavy, and that option lets you wear your favorite trail foot wear on the trail, and the very specialized rock shoes on the rock.

If you have not worn rock shoes on a slide before, you don't have to worry too much about getting a good pair. Any rock shoe will feel fantastic on a slide, if you are used to boots or trail runners. My recommendation would be cheap, loose, and comfortable. A nice pair of used rental shoes, a half size large so they're confortable with socks, would be my choice. I keep my stretched out, beat up old rock shoes for use as "slide shoes."

A caveat: I would not use the closely fitting rock shoes you use for vertical climbing. Slide climbing, as you know, is basically walking, and involves a lot more foot flexion than vertical climbing. Your toes and heels may hurt, and you may stretch out your good shoes, if you wear them on a slide climb.

TCD

As suggested, an approach shoe is your best all around answer. Basically, any flexible, lightweight hiking shoe with sticky rubber will serve you well.

I really like these Montrail shoes: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...il/idesc/CTC+-+Men's/Store/MG/item/135693/N/0

Montrail's version of sticky rubber in these shoes is called Grytonite. Corny name, but effective for gripping rock. These shoes hike well, even with a moderately heavy pack.

Halite said:
I really like these Montrail shoes: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...il/idesc/CTC+-+Men's/Store/MG/item/135693/N/0

Montrail's version of sticky rubber in these shoes is called Grytonite. Corny name, but effective for gripping rock. These shoes hike well, even with a moderately heavy pack.
I have tried the CTC at a store and they are nice and very fitted
As for the Gryptonite... I have Montrail Wasabi rock shoes that use the same rubber and they are amazingly grippy! (and fit me incredibly) I think I went up a grade in them, at least because of increased climbing confidence.

TCD said:
Approach shoes are good to wear car-to-car. Another option is to carry rock shoes and change for the slide. Rock shoes are not very big or heavy, and that option lets you wear your favorite trail foot wear on the trail, and the very specialized rock shoes on the rock.

I think this is an excellent recommendation. I have climbed slides in this manner. My favourite shoes are made by evolv. Super sticky rubber and a nice size toe-box for people who are weird like me and have a longer second toe.

http://www.evolvesports.com/

Evolve also has the least expensive resole program I have found if you send their brand shoes back to them.

-percious

Here are the ones I wear: Exum Ridge (I have the older model that is blue and black, but basically the same features.)

They have the FriXion® climbing rubber soles that are super sticky.
My only gripe; after a couple of years, my soles are almost completely smooth and I can't find anywhere that I can just buy the rubber to do the resole myself. I don't want to spend $50 on a resole when I paid $40 to get the shoes from Campmor.

jbrown said:
They have the FriXion® climbing rubber soles that are super sticky.
My only gripe; after a couple of years, my soles are almost completely smooth
That is the downside of the sticky rubber soles--they are soft and wear quickly.

and I can't find anywhere that I can just buy the rubber to do the resole myself. I don't want to spend $50 on a resole when I paid $40 to get the shoes from Campmor.
There are kits for resoling climbing shoes, you might consider one of them. Climbing shoes tend to have smooth soles, so you might not end up with any tread if you use one of these kits.

Doug

Thanks Approach Shoes

Thanks for all the input. I bought a pair of 5 10 "Guide Tennies" approach shoes with their Stealth rubber. I never knew what approach shoes were or figured they'd be worth a darn on a slide. I like em already. Nice support and I got turf toe testing out the rubber on my wet driveway. Sweet.