A successful completion to a solo quest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
At some point, that I don’t even remember when, I set a goal to repeat the NH48 solo. Maybe it was the feeling of satisfaction I got after doing a few that I found I was quite comfortable hiking solo and also found it very different from hiking with others. My first round of the 48 was with family (husband and son) and is very special to us. My winter round was mostly with other online friends and was rewarding each and every hike.

This quest began with a long walk up Tripoli road before the gate was open for the season to Osceola a couple years ago and ended on a long loop over Cabot that included Terrace Mtn(s), the Bulge and the Horn yesterday. Along the way I have tried to make the route different whether it be adding a peak or peaks from other lists or taking trail I hadn’t been on before or making it longer then my previous trips.

I think a lot while hiking alone but leave behind any of life’s annoyances and soak in all that is around me. Conversations with those met along the way become more interesting as opposed to walking and talking with your own group and usually just exchanging greetings with others. I tend to see and hear more while silently moving along the trail. I can speed up or slow down as I desire…so many reasons for it being quality time. But I also enjoyed it being interspersed with hiking with others as group hikes have their own pleasantries.

Yesterday’s finish on Cabot got pushed up with the notice that York Pond Rd would be undergoing work and access to trails would be a farther walk. Finding the trail head worried me more than the hike but it proved to be no problem, even the gate was open earlier than posted (which I’d forgotten about). I had wanted to save it for foliage season but berry season was nice. :D Making the loop over Terrace, along with Bulge and Horn added peaks and trails I had not been on. There were plenty of ups and downs especially the drop from North Terrace to Bunnell Notch and then the 1300’ foot climb up to Cabot. No one was around on Cabot which surprised me as I poked around the cabin. I was feeling quite proud of myself as I approached the summit sign. I had had no mishaps in my solo quest which everyone warns against especially for a woman. Yes, I was pleased.

And then…that stick crawled out under a rock and tripped me without a seconds warning! Ouch the knee hurt. Mumble under my breath – or maybe out loud – I don’t remember. Brush off, check myself over, and see if I can stand. Okay, I’m standing, okay, I can walk. But now it looks like two knees on one leg. Clean up the wound and move on as I have a long way ahead of me. Walking along or ascending didn’t bother too much but descending kept up the ache. Then I noticed my ring finger was hurting to bend and was swelling. I must have bent it in the fall but didn’t notice because of the knee. I kept it elevated as much as I could to keep the swelling down (I have rings on the finger and they wouldn’t come off).

I was able to enjoy the rest of the loop and chat with the first people I saw when I reached the Horn. I met a few more (10 all day) between the Horn and Unknown Pond and then was alone all the way back to the car. It was a very satisfying hike but with that reminder that things can happen quick and being solo one needs to be prepared.

Way to go!

Congrats, and nice report. I am on 40 of my ADK46solo list and echo many of your sentiments. I am excited to finish it once fall season hits ... which of course allows me some two-fers ...

My list began with my first round, so there were a handful of memorable excursions like heading into the Sewards solo on a weekday and getting drowned and chased by lightning, water filter clogging, and leaving my lunch in a friends fridge. As I do the repeats I also try to add a wrinkle here or there.

And basking in the glow of a nice accomplishment always makes things heal faster!

Congrats, Carole. I enjoyed reading about your accomplishment and the story behind it!

Thanks everyone!

Stinkyfeet said:
Don't you just love it when people ask you "What do you THINK about when you're out there alone for all those hours?"
Funny, I have been asked LOTS of questions but never that one!
Waumbek said:
I could see your plans shifting from Wolf to the Kilkenney region but I didn't know why.
Nope. Wolf got shifted to Eisenhower last week because the weather was just to good!
Doc McPeak said:
And basking in the glow of a nice accomplishment always makes things heal faster!
I've recovered quite well. I hope you enjoy each and every peak as I did.

Congrats

congratulations!
I have been soloing a lot less this year thanks to VFTT (and the Mrs. is happy about it). That being said, it is also very nice and pleasant to be out there alone!

Planning your next "round"

Some folks work their way through the 4000'ers, and never return to those trails & summits after that one visit that checks it off their list. And then there are those that truly love being out on the trails, so much so that we find many, many different ways of deciding that yet another visit is just what we will do.

A friend & I hiked the NH 100 Highest list in calendar year 1994. I had completed the NH 4000'er all season list for the first time in August of '93, and was looking to go to other areas of the WMNF that I had never been to before. My friend had not hiked many of the 4000'ers, so we combined our interest in the peaks, and made our way through that list. We started on Mt Wolf in February and finished on Passaconaway in December.

Since then, I keep coming up with reasons why I'd like to visit a particular summit again. Sometimes it is to hike a trail I've never hiked before, and sometimes it is to join friends who would like company, etc. There are the particular points along the routes that I look for, and there always seems to be something I have never noticed before, making each hike pleasant.

Back in 2001/02 I hiked thru calendar Winter by visiting the summit of each of the 48 NH 4's solo. There were 9 summits that I made a repeat visit to hiking with others, and quite a few other excursions that didn't even include 4000'ers. I didn't initially set out on a quest to do the 4's solo, the Winter just unfolded that way. I had spent the previous two Winters not being able to "play" in the snow due to ACL reconstruction surgeries, and I wanted to see how my knees were going to behave in all that we encounter for ground conditions in Winter. Being a stubborn, Scottish / Italian, I wouldn't allow myself to be just another member of the group on the trails, I needed to break trail like I used to................. So off I went, testing the waters as they say, very quickly becoming comfortable with my knees, and I found myself hiking / skiing many times a week - PHEW.

Early in February that year, I hiked to Eisenhower & Clinton. I had invited Andy to join me, but he had other plans for that day, so I went solo. Two weeks later, another friend got all fired up to give a one day Winter Presi Traverse a try. We had a spectacular day, traveling South to North, in conditions that were bare-bootable. It was during that hike, as the day progressed, and my friend was attempting to give me a good natured hard time by saying "I suppose you have already been to this summit too this Winter", we than realized how many of the 48 I had done solo that year.
(that trip made the second visit to each of the Presi's that Winter)
After that hike, it did become a mission for me. There were 4 weeks of Winter left, and I had 9 hikes, with 13 summits outstanding. So basically, "thanx" to Andy, the NH 4's in Winter - solo came together for me. ;)

Like you Carole, I have found that the time spent hiking alone allows me to realize just how insignificant life's annoyance's really are, and I usually feel refreshed at the end. Everything falls into place. Life feels balanced again. But then too, not much can substitute a day filled with hiking companions with which you talk & laugh, and share the "wow, isn't this great" observations.

The Mrs. complains that my hiking style is too robotic, so I am forced to do much of my hiking solo. Consequently I have done the peaks of the universe [and I do mean the universe] solo, in winter. Of course, having easy access to the Mars Rover helps.

Interestingly I got this nasty message regarding this thread:

"the negativity about SJ is not called for. considering what problems other 21 y/o kids are causing he is OK.."

I don't recall there being any mention of SJ in my post nor do I recall ever having anything negative to say about SJ here or in any other thread. :confused:

carole: a fine accomplishment indeed. I remember one of my solo weekend quests up to the Weeks (funny how I couldn't convince anyone to join me on that one!). Despite a fair amount of unexected snow on the ground up high, a slightly twisted ankle, and a lot of mud on the York Pond Trail, I still remember it as being one of my most satisfying hikes. Hmmm, maybe it's just that Kilkenny region ;)

As for negative comments, I think we all get a few good ones. I've had a few "huh?" thoughts on some of them.

So, what's next?