A Summit for the Dogs - Abster's 48th 10/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cath said:
Harry
Do you think the Bear Hunters were actually talking about the Beaver Pond areas between West Branch Rd and the East end of the Tripoli Rd, instead of the snow-making pond at the base of the ski area?

Hunters vehicles are seen parked adjacent to the ski trails (bike / x-country trails) a lot during hunting season. They are known to have tree stands, and baiting areas down on/along those trails. The snow making pond is between the admin & First Aid buildings at the base of the ski area, and I would think the on going regular traffic of the mountain personal wouldn't be conducive to hunting.

I'm up at the mountain generally a couple times a week, and I haven't noticed vehicles, other than the regulars, parked about. But when I travel the East end of the Tripoli road, those vehicles, that show up this time of year, are pulled off here & there, adjacent to the ski / bike trails.

It's true, Hunters will go where they want to go, but as you said, a lot of them don't seem to wander too far from their vehicles.

Maybe SkiBones will add something to this post.

I see alot of cars around the Tripoli /West Branch Road beaver pond. I guess those must be the bear hunters, I always thought they were deer hunting with bows and arrows. I know alot of residents get worried this time of the year trying to hike, bike or walk dogs in the area. I don't know any of the hunters personally, but I think they're from MA, not Waterville Valley, since the cars have MA plates. Since hunting is allowed on forest land, you may want to put some bright colored vests on the dogs. Now I'm curious how they hunt for bears. I've heard strange stories how they have dogs trained to go into their den and irritate the bears until they kill the first dog and then come out of the den. Does anyone know if this is true?
Skibones

I'm not a bear hunter but I do know that the dogs are typically used to chase the bear, not vice-versa. I was up in the Breadloaf-Wilson (Vermont)area a few years back and encountered two dogs in the middle of nowhere between the summits. Both had very torn up feet from running on the mixed snow/ice/rock/mud conditions, and both had what looked like radio collars on. On the way out of the woods I asked a local near the trailhead and was told that the collars activate a signal when the dogs head looks up, which would occur when the tree a bear. The hunters use a receiver to locate the dogs, some even use latop devices. The same method may be in use but I don't like to think NH would allow that practice. Not a lot of "sporting" IMO :mad:

Bear Hunting

Thanks All for the info. What a bummer. I actually wanted to do this hike before hunting started....I didn't even consider bear hunting. Maybe going up the ski slopes would be the best.

Abster said:
Thanks All for the info. What a bummer. I actually wanted to do this hike before hunting started....I didn't even consider bear hunting. Maybe going up the ski slopes would be the best.

I did this hike last year on Oct 31 and didn't hear guns going off or see any hunters. I live in the Valley and I haven't seen those cars in the last couple of days. IMO I don't think they would be a problem on that trail. I might also join you on the 9th. It would be more fun going up the trail and maybe coming down a ski trail if you spot a car. I'll email you if I definitely go.

Refer to Mohamed's TR on GPS Bakeoff

Congratulations on the 48. I'm proud to have shared a few of those miles with you. Mohamed's recent TR on GPS Bakeoff has good suggestions on doing Tecumseh via Sosman and descending via ski trails. He points out the views from Sosman are well worth checking out as summit views are somewhat limited. He also mentions the fine views to be had walking DOWN the ski trails. I think he said footing was pretty good so you won't have to be watching your step constantly. If you walk up you're basicly looking at the ground.

Thanks Jazzbo. It has been a pleasure. Thanks for the trail info. :)

I'll be working that day, but is a great one to finish on. My experience last weekend was wonderful, coming down the ski trails. Check my post in Mohamed's TR for the GPS waypoint of the Sosman outlook, which is easy to miss.

Cath said:
Abster ~ Maybe an easier way for Abby's hips would be to go up the ski area work road. It's a mostly gradual grade, an actual road for pickup trucks and other motorized mountain equipment. At the top of the ski area, the Sosman trail takes you to the summit of Tecumseh .8 miles & 250' gain.
(If you would like furthur info on locating the start of the Sosman trail, as there is no sign at the top of the ski area, feel free to PM me)

There are 3 brook crossings on the Mount Tecumseh trail, which really aren't that difficult, but for an older dog with hip issues, any wet / rocky crossing posses problems.

The trails adjacent to the work road have been very recently mowed, which provides another footing option on this gentlish grade.

Yippee for Abby!

Abster,

I agree with Cath and others about hiking the ski trails for added value, although I do not remember the nuances of accessing the Sosman Trail from the top of the ski area.

Also, according to the NH Fish and Game link below, bear baiting season in Zone F, which includes Waterville, ended on September 28th, but bear hunting continues with and without dogs until November 7th and 14th, respectively. So, how long does bear bait remain in place? In any case, perhaps canines and humans should wear lots of orange!

Congrats on the 48!

Dr. D.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_bear.htm

Abster said:
I plan to be at the Waterville Valley parking lot at 9am on Columbus Day, Monday, October 9th.
The thread has gotten rather long, but has the starting time changed? Not sure I can make it, I will be doing the Wildcats on Sunday, and in my current state I cannot confidently plan two 4Ks in a row (I often succeed in doing so, but equally often fail).

In the fall I love the hike up to the summit by trail, down by the ski slopes. The views are wonderful: while you are facing in the same direction all the way down they change with your elevation. At this time of the year there is the contrast between the clearly defined neighboring trees and the more distant ones, which just give you a multicolored landscape.

My thoughts will be with you on Monday if my body is recovering at home :)

Hike Postponed!

Unfortunately, I have to delay the Tecumseh hike. My dog Abby cut her paw two days ago and it hasn't been doing well. She is going to the vet today, but she won't be able to do the hike on Monday and since I saved it for her, I want to wait.

I will put out another Trip when she is better.

Thanks to everyone for their info and well-wishes.

Have a good weekend!

Hanna

Thanks All!

Thanks Everyone for your well wishes for Abby. It has been difficult keeping her from playing and running hard. The cut must really itch because she seems to be going crazy trying to lick it.

Vet says 6 weeks to heal.

It maybe a snowy 48th! (Not like that bothers anyone here :) )