Acadia in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I want to do a trip to Acadia this winter and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the park at this time of year. I realize certain roads will be closed but can you rent snowmobiles? Is Cadillac accessible by snow shoes. Accessibility I guess is my main issue and was wondering if anyone has been to the park in the winter.

Acadia is wonderful in winter. I'm down there skiing about once a month. I don't know anything about snowmobiles in the park, but the carriage roads and much of the park look road are great for skiing.

Give me some idea of how long a trip and if you are into skis or snowshoes and I'll suggest some trips.

The town and park are very quiet at that time of year...very refreshing!

spencer

I was there a number of years ago and snowshoed Cadillac. I'm not sure if they still do this (whomever they might be), but some of the carriage roads were groomed for xc skiing. Very fun.

I've been meaning to get back there to ski the "peaks" but haven't yet.

I'm planning on doing a week or long weekend there after a good snow fall. I can probably get my hands on some X-country stuff and I already have snow shoes and crampons. But I want to do some serious photography and need to get to places.

greetings,

i camped at the park campground in january several years ago for 4 amazing days. there was not enough snow to ski, but there was snow everywhere and ice, frozen ponds, even snow at sand beach, a crazy sight to behold for me. a campfire in the pit rings will keep you super cozy before retiring into your bag. amazing night hikes too, especially with a bright moon (no need for headlamps).

there were only 2 other campers in the park the first night there. the next two nights there were no other campers besides us, a national park to ourselves!

there was also no charge to camp. hopefully this hasn't changed?

no need for snowmobiles, main roads were plowed, plenty of access to many trailheads and hikes.

I've read reports (but I can't remember where) of skiing on Cadillac and Sargeant. Apparently, the skiing is pretty good. Obviously, not a lot of vert, but pretty solid.

A friend of mine skinned and ski the Cadillac auto road last winter. He said it was great, and fairly mellow. (Although, he did a ski traverse of Baffin Island, so mellow is a relative term.)

The trick with Acadia would be to hit it in good snow...I think it would be pretty hit or miss. I've been waiting for the right weekend over the last couple seasons...timing hasn't been quite right yet.

I call Cadillac Mountain Sports before I head down there to see what conditions are like. We can get several inches of snow here in Orono (1 hr away) and they can be getting rain or sleet there, so it's hard to tell.

I've skied Sargent a couple of times, including one time when the open summit didn't have reasonable cover and I was beating up my boards. I tried to skin down the hiking trail and that didn't work out so hot. If conditions are good, it's great skiing.

I've skied the Cadillac road, but not the western snowfields that Goodman talks about. If someone is coming up to ski, let me know if you want company.

for mellow touring, the carriage roads can't be beat. For an awesome loop, start at the northern end of Eagle Lake. Meander your way up to the north and west of Sargent. Hike or ski down the Giant Slide trail (I would only count on skiing short sections of it) and then work your way back to Eagle Lake via the Gilmore pond. Great fun...

Unless you are looking for vertical climbing, you won't need any crampons.

spencer