Acadia paddling

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyestreet

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be visiting Acadia next week w/ my 32 year old daughter. We plan on some easy paddling, she's a beginner, I have a little open water experience. My boats are both 14', 1 w/ skeg, the other w/ rudder. Any suggestions? Fresh water or salt. Thanks, John

I was just out there this past weekend paddling. Don't know too much about paddling in the fresh, but as for salt:

The Porcupine Islands right out of Bar Harbor would be a mellow paddle. There are 4 of them and you can pick which ones to go around for a loop. One of the islands, Bar Island, can be walked to during low tide. This area is pretty protected from the ocean, so you don't get a lot of waves.

Another nice paddle would be paddling North from Southwest Harbor into Somes Sound (the only Fjord in the lower 48 US) - you could also get into Somes from the northern end, at Somes Harbor but the walls are steeper/cooler near the mouth of the sound so I'd probably prefer starting from SW Harbor.

Another more adventurous paddle would be leaving out of Seal Harbor and going to Little Cranberry Island. It's about a 3 mile paddle each way, but timing it with the tides it's not that bad.

When planning any paddles in the ocean, try to time your coming/going with the tides - it'll make your paddle a lot easier and faster.

Have a good time!!

When we were there last we did 2 days of paddling. On the first day we put in on the Western Shore at Seal Cove - easy putin with parking and an outhouse. we paddled north past Pretty Marsh and had lunch on Bartlett Island on a rocky beach a little south of Galley Point. We stayed along the coast of Mt Desert on our way north and the coast of Bartlett on our return. Was a nice paddle - fairly protected. We even saw porpoise or harbor dolphins while eating lunch.

On our second day of paddling we putin at Southwest Harbor at the public Boat ramp (on southern side of the harbor) and paddled out to Little Cranberry for lunch where we went ashore and walked into town and visited the museum - well worth it. Along the way explored the shoreline of Great Cranberry where we came across a young Bald Eagle hanging on a rock and some Osprey fighting over food. On the return we passed the Eastern end of Sutton Island and the lighthouse on Bear Island. This paddle had sections of open water and more boat traffic, so probably not what your looking for, but you could putin there and head up into Somes Sounds or just stay along the coastline.

No matter what you decide to paddle - it will be fun!

5 days would be perfect for that area IMO.

I'm going to post more details and pics when I write my trip report but (reference to the map in the link below):
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.24999...4775,-68.23432,2.1 km E of Cranberry Isles ME

-At the right side to the entrance of The Pool on Great Cranberry Island (point A in the map) we found the sea floor covered in muscles - you could practically pick them from your kayak during low tide. They were the most delicious muscles I've ever had.

-I wanted to go to Baker Island to see some seals... instead, we saw a bunch hanging out on some rocks (only exposed during low tide) around point B on the map. One even followed us for some time.

Enjoy :)

The point of land sticking out from Great Cranberry Island just to the left of you label B is where we saw the bald eagle. He was sitting at the end of the point on a large rock.

Be sure to check out the lighthouse at Bass Harbor in the early AM and dusk hours - Geri saw walked to it every day we were there and saw 1 or more deer every time.

bobandgeri said:
Be sure to check out the lighthouse at Bass Harbor in the early AM and dusk hours - Geri saw walked to it every day we were there and saw 1 or more deer every time.
Bass Harbor Light is pretty, but check the tide tables if you wish to boat nearby. Bass Harbor bar extends a good ways south from the light. Sailing against the tide over the bar was slow going--might also be rather difficult under paddle power.

Doug

We weren't suggestion paddling there, but walking down to the lighthouse! The deer are along both sides of the road. Unless you go at slack tide it can be dangerous - just watching the floating debris float past one can see how strong the currents are there.

We've never saield that far north, but would love to some day!