Accessible Identity/Emergency Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpy said:
Mrs. Grumpy and I travel to this place or that, and I often (day) hike solo while she hangs out at the lodge or campground, in town, etc., which is our away-from-home basecamp. In those cases, if something narsty happens to me, calling our home number would do no good, since only the mice would be there having their usual “cat’s away” party time. So from now on out, my emergency contact info will be updated to include where we are staying on our current trip, so Mrs. G can be tracked down and located most expeditiously if necessary.
Or list Mrs G's cellphone number.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Or list Mrs G's cellphone number.

Doug

Good idea.

Only there are two problems with it in Mrs. G's case.

First, we only have one cell phone between us, and she insists that I carry the thing when hiking (even though it probably would be useless in many or most of the places I go while hiking).

Second, our "basecamp" locations frequently are off our cell phone coverage grid.

G.

hitmann said:
If you carry a cell phone the NYSDEC asks that you program your home phone number in your contact list under ICE (in case of emergancy)

I program mine as Aahome ... it's always the first one on the screen when I go to the "phonebook".

hitmann said:
If you carry a cell phone the NYSDEC asks that you program your home phone number in your contact list under ICE (in case of emergancy)

This is highly recommended by law enforcement agencies, especially for runners. So it definitely applies to hiking. They'd like everyone with a cell phone to do it. It is often a problem at bad accident scenes or heart attacks; where they need to contact people for life and death situations asap.

If you run or hike and carry a cell phone, law enforcement agencies recommend programming the emergency number as "ICE". In my case I have 5 call numbers listed in order of call priority as ICE 1, ICE 2, etc, listed in the order of priority I want them to try to call. The house, my brother a NYC Cop (who knows what to do and say- even though he is 200 miles away), and on and on down the line. Just make sure they are numbers where someone will answer and is a "responsible" person and can help the police or medical personnel.

cell phone??

Several responses are leading toward having a cell phone is enough for the “Accessible Identity/Emergency Info” but I have to disagree. Even with contact numbers programmed in someone has to find the phone (many that carry them say they are turned off and on the bottom of their pack), find the contact numbers (assuming they are familiar with using cell phones), and someone has to pick up on the other end.

A cell phone doesn’t give you a name, nor tell you if the person has any allergies, other health issues or if they are on any medications. Medical tags / bracelets my give you medical info but not the persons name nor contact info (correct me if I’m wrong).

And I’m talking about being several miles into the woods not biking, running or other more populated activities.

Example: You meet with a group of 2, 3 or so. You know their online name and maybe even their first name (you might even hear their last name but will you remember it?) You talk as you hike and find out a lot about each other’s interests. You may learn some person info – whether they are married, what they do for work, etc. Then something goes wrong. You have someone unconscious. Okay, maybe you have a phone and call for assistance. Can you give a name, medical conditions, contact info? Are you going to look through their pockets and pack for a phone, any medical tags, a license, an insurance card to answer these questions?

And, say, you car pooled. They drove. Do you know where the key is?

Couldn’t we simplify it by making up a card that has it all accessible and inform those we are hiking with where we carry it?

Thanks Carole for this thread, I finally added a paper in my wallet with my Canadian insurance company and ID number, so if I get injured in the US they will let me into the hospital. I know someone who had to drive from Saranac Lake to Ottawa, covered with blood, because he didn't have his insurance number...

ICE means "in case of emergency." I agree with Carole that the cell phone, if present, might be buried in a pack. But if there is a trail emergency, after rendering whatever first aid we can, and hopefully stabilizing the patient, then we can go through a patients clothing or pack to find personal information. I think most of us have at least some type of first responder training, and know that patient care comes first. ID'ing the patient and making telephone calls would come after addressing the patients needs. Then again, if there is a group, one person could go through the patients pack and see what information is in there. An iformation card kept in a first aid kit is helpful, but there is no standard place in a backpack we all keep the FA kit. Lots of questions, which leads to more questions! I'm getting dizzy!

timmus said:
I know someone who had to drive from Saranac Lake to Ottawa, covered with blood, because he didn't have his insurance number...

That was almost certainly a decision he made on his own. A hospital will not and cannot by federal law refuse to treat someone because of their ability to pay. Neither would an ambulance refuse to transport someone for that reason. It doesn't come into our thought process nor is it part of our protocol. I don't care what your color is or what language you speak. I have treated rich and indigent and I treat them the same. I do my best. I am not busy digging though someone’s wallet to see if they can pay when I am dispatched on an emergency call and if ever directed to so I would refuse. If such a thing happened it should be reported.

Keith

Last edited:
carole said:
Several responses are leading toward having a cell phone is enough for the “Accessible Identity/Emergency Info” but I have to disagree. Even with contact numbers programmed in someone has to find the phone (many that carry them say they are turned off and on the bottom of their pack), find the contact numbers (assuming they are familiar with using cell phones), and someone has to pick up on the other end.

There has to be service also which is often missing in the backcountry.

carole said:
A cell phone doesn’t give you a name, nor tell you if the person has any allergies, other health issues or if they are on any medications. Medical tags / bracelets my give you medical info but not the persons name nor contact info (correct me if I’m wrong).

That information on the tag may save your life.

carole said:
Are you going to look through their pockets and pack for a phone, any medical tags, a license, an insurance card to answer these questions?

Very lucid post Carole. IMHO.

If you are unable to speak for yourself I (and other trained responders) will be doing a head to toe survey on you to figure out what is going on with you. That means I will discover any medical alert bracelet or anklet or pendant that you are wearing so I would at least be aware of these conditions. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't put something in your wallet and I am suggesting that you put ICE numbers on your phone but I strongly suggest you get a medic alert tag.

So you tell me. Would you rather I spot your medical conditions while doing a full survey on you and find your medic alert tag, or do you want me trying to fumble around looking through your pack and fumbling with your phone trying to see if there is service and figure out how it works, and trying to see if you have a ICE number, etc, or maybe you have something in your wallet that I should search for... while you are laying on the ground unconscious with me not knowing what is wrong with you?? :confused: :confused: :eek: :D

Its up to you.

Keith

Last edited:
It's actually in the state practical exam for EMT's in massachusetts, that during your Trauma assessment, you need to check both wrists and ankles for Medical Bracelets. :)