Adams, Madison, and a Snowman at the Hut, 3/17/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
March 17, 2012: Adams & Madison

Trails: Valley Way, Gulfside Trail, Air Line Trail, Osgood Trail

Summits: Adams, Madison

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

This one wraps up another winter of hiking; it’s the final weekend of winter. We’re not really hiking seasons, we’re hiking months. Next on our targets for March is Adams, but we’ll probably wander to the summit of Madison since we’ll be in the neighborhood already.

There were a huge number of people hiking the area, some that we knew, and some that knew us from on-line posts. Sorry but I know there are some names of folks we met along the way that I don’t remember.

We started from Appalachia with thick low clouds overhead and a generally gray-day condition. The forecast predicted warm and sunny conditions for the day and virtually no chance of precipitation. Something seemed wrong with the picture. Oh well, as usual we’ll take what we have and make the best of it. Our first chore for the day was to hike an end-to-end of Valley Way from Appalachia to the Madison Hut. Within a half mile of the trailhead we stopped to get our MicroSpikes in the game. The tread way was solid ice and it was wet. We were spending too much time and energy just trying to stay upright. The MicroSpikes did the job and we continued.

As we gained elevation the snow cover increased but even near the treeline it was far less than a normal year. There were a few other hikers that came through as we made our way up Valley Way. Roughly a third of the way to the hut Sue heard voices from more hikers coming up behind. For roughly the next mile our group grew to three as Michael Costanza hiked along with us and “caught up” with recent events. In the vicinity of
Valley Way Tentsite we were passed by a VFFTer – ColdRiverRun and his companion. By now the forecast was kicking in and the sky was clear. We were getting some nice sun but nothing like what we would have above the trees. Eventually, Michael needed to re-join his companions for the day and he took off. They were headed to Madison first and then on to points south. Our first target after reaching the hut was Adams. Just below the hut we saw Silverfox, Valerie, and the third member of their group.

We reached the hut, made the turn south on Gulfside, and headed for Adams. Above the treeline we enjoyed full sunshine with virtually no clouds, a warm temperature, a light breeze, and no mosquitoes. What an outstanding day! Ahead, we could see many people on the trail headed south. As we climbed to the junction with Air Line we could see a number of people arriving to the junction with Gulfside via that route. Gulfside and Air Line run together for a short distance along the top of King Ravine and then split with Air Line heading to Adams. We went left with Air Line and started the final climb to Adams. A short time after the trails split we stopped to remove our MicroSpikes. There were plenty of exposed rocks for rock-hopping to the summit. At first we thought the MicroSpikes might be again needed for the final climb but we were able to make it to the summit bare booting.

We arrived at the summit of Adams to find quite a gathering already there. Included in the crowd was Kevin Talbot in the process of finishing up his Winter N.H. Four Thousand Footers. Adams was Kevin’s #47; his next stop on Madison would give him a complete set of 48. We all visited for a while before getting the usual summit pictures and setting off for Madison separately together. Thanks to Tim for the photo assists on the summit; we have very few pictures with both of us in the same shot.

We picked our way down from the summit and managed to make it safely down without any mishap or need for additional traction. Kevin and Tim were roughly fifty yards ahead for much of the descent to Gulfside. On our way down from the summit of Adams we met Michael Costanza and his group on their climb. As we approached Gulfside we met Deb and Glen and their companion headed for Adams. Of course we needed to stop for a brief visit with them. Soon we were again on our way north to Madison with Kevin and Tim up ahead. We passed the north split with Air Line and stopped to get out the MicroSpikes; from the ridge to the hut was still loaded with ice and we needed the traction.

We reached the hut to find a number of people lounging in the sun, Kevin and Tim joined the crowd. There were several others descending Madison. We stopped to visit for a few minutes and then started the climb to the summit. Roughly a third of the way up from the hut we stopped to remove the MicroSpikes; we were again on mainly bare rock. Slowly we worked our way to the summit. I realize this is day two of a back-to-back but Moriah is a relatively small hike and I wouldn’t expect this short climb from the hut to be as hard as it was. I made more stops on the climb than expected. Eventually, Sue and I were on the summit with our cameras out. In fact, they were out several times on the climb as well.

A short distance behind were a number of the folks we left at the hut, including Kevin closing in on his W48. We waited. Soon, Kevin appeared and started across to the summit area with all of the others close behind. We all had our cameras out to record the event as Kevin reached the end of his unplanned quest.

As he explained later, there never was an intent or even interest in hiking the N.H Four Thousand Footers in winter. In fact, the though of it seemed a little crazy to Kevin. Over the years he slowly accumulated winter peaks and eventually reached the point where not finishing the list seemed silly.

Congratulations Kevin, that’s an excellent accomplishment.

Sue and I started our exit hike; first back to the hut and then back to the truck. On the way down to the hut we met a group of hikers we had earlier met on Adams. One asked if we were Sue and Earl and Sue confirmed we were. Another asked about a snowman. That’s all it took. At the hut we stopped for Sue to construct what might be the last one, but I have a feeling there will be a few more. Since we started hiking together there are only two months that do not include at least one snowman on a hike. There will be more. With the snowman done and pictures taken we were now ready for our exit to the truck.

The hike out was mostly on MicroSpikes. In fact, we stayed with them to within fifty yards of the truck. We stopped to remove the traction and with a glance over our shoulders we saw Kevin and the gang close behind, and up ahead was a very nice welcoming committee waiting. Kevin, you can’t have too many friends.

Back to the trailhead an hour ahead of plan we started packing for the ride south. The hike seemed like a lot of work at times but we actually went through it quicker than expected. The March list gets shorter.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Great account of the day Earl and beautiful pictures to go with it. Great that you and Sue could be there to support the finishers and celebrate with the gang. We were with the group celebrating with Kevin at the bottom and didn't realize that it was you until you were driving out of the parking lot. Wish we'd had a chance to introduce ourselves. Hope to run into you guys on the trail someday.

Great account of the day Earl and beautiful pictures to go with it. Great that you and Sue could be there to support the finishers and celebrate with the gang. We were with the group celebrating with Kevin at the bottom and didn't realize that it was you until you were driving out of the parking lot. Wish we'd had a chance to introduce ourselves. Hope to run into you guys on the trail someday.
Thanks Mark,

You folks were waiting at the trailhead for Kevin. He and the gang arrived and the celebrating started. It was tempting but we were a little uncomfortable crashing the party.

I'm sure our paths will cross again, soon I hope.

It was really nice to be on Madison when Kevin reached #48. An excellent accomplishment for sure!

Earl