Adams - NH Winter #2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
The plan was to solo hike to Gray Knob Saturday and meet Mad River and his friend John for a possible trip up Adams. A few hours before I was to leave, I got online to check my email and the boards and just happened to email Donna my plans for the Gray Knob hike and as luck would have it, convinced (not too much arm twisting) her to join me so my solo trip didn’t have to be solo after all !!!! We decided to meet at 6:30am at Lowe’s store. She said she only had a sleeping bag and a backpack so she might not stay the night at Gray Knob but I told her not to worry since I had enough gear to cover the both of us and also promised her that I would make dinner Saturday night.

I threw all my stuff into the trunk of the car and left Mass at about 7:45pm. On the way up I realized I had forgotten a block of cheese which is essential for my rice and beans dinner so I called Donna and had her bring the cheese. When I called her, she said she was trying to pack but couldn’t get all her stuff into her small pack so she might have to rethink the overnight part. Well, luckily, for the both of us my LARGE winter pack was in my car and I was carrying my EMS 5500 (my mid-size pack), so I told her to bring her stuff including her pack and we’d figure something out. I got to NH from my parent’s 10:30pm on Friday night. Slept till 4 am Saturday morning and then got my backpack packed up and left for the trailhead. I had never been to Lowe’s store but knew that if I saw the Appalachia Trailhead then I had driven by it.

Well, I arrived at the Appalachia Trailhead at just past 6:00am and a VERY large snow plow was clearing the parking lot. I pulled in there because I saw a vehicle with people in it and figured I would check to see how many miles back the store was so I wouldn’t overshoot it again. I stupidly left my car without a jacket and went quickly over to the car with the others in it. The nice man rolled the window down and since it was still dark I could just barely see into the car. I asked about the Lowe’s store and the man in the front seat and the woman in the passenger seat were both wonderful enough to give me directions to the store and also info on where to park. As I am standing there freezing my butt off because I was too stupid to throw my jacket on first, I hear a voice from the backseat say “Seema?” and look back there to find LittleBear, gave her a quick hug and was introduced to Frodo and StinkyFeet who were the ones giving me the directions. And in my hurry to get back to the warmth of the car, I didn’t get to tell StinkyFeet that she is truly one of my heroes, I am in such awe of this woman and I didn’t say anything but “Hi! So nice to meet you” . . . I am SO lame. Anyway, they told me they were rethinking their plans to hike the Northern Presis because the weather report was calling for 80 mph gusts up there above treeline. I asked them if they thought the trip to Gray Knob would still be okay and they said that shouldn’t be a problem but to be aware of the windy conditions if I summated Adams. After a few hasty and cold goodbyes, I took leave of them and headed to Lowe’s store . . . ( It was truly AMAZING to meet you both and very nice to see you again Little Bear, maybe we can meet for a hike sometime with enough light and warmth for proper introductions)

Anyway, I got to Lowe’s store, and parked where they had told me to and waited for Donna. At about 6:30 I noticed someone parked in another area of the lot and realized Donna had been sitting there, so I went over and she pulled her car around, and packed her gear into my large winter pack, a bit big for her, but it would suffice for this trip. We got ourselves ready and started out hike at just past 7am. We postholed right near the trailhead but then the trail seemed packed out. Well we followed the packed trail to a crossing with a large road with some signs for Lowe’s store and took a right on that road, chatting away about life and such. After walking about 10 minutes I realize that we are leaving the mountains behind us, so I stop and tell Donna that I think we are headed the wrong way, and with a glance at the map and the book we turn around and head back to the signs. We didn’t see a broken trail but did catch a glimpse of a yellow sign off into the woods to we posthole our way to the yellow sign with Donna in the lead, and once again pick up the broken and packed Lowe’s trail. Glad to leave our snowshoes strapped to the pack we hiked on under our heavy pack weight. It was a BEAUTIFUL clear morning and aura of the woods and white snow just made our hearts sing. Donna is a faster hiker (who isn’t really) than I so she was ahead of me by about 10-15 minutes and would stop occasionally at stream crossing and trail signs to wait a bit. Two sets of day hikers breezed by us and were followed by 3 members of the Alpine YMCA group that cantdog had told me about and finally MadRiver and John caught up to me at the Randolph Trail above the Log Cabin. That last 0.5 miles from there to Gray Knob was the longest ½ mile of my life . . .

I finally got to Gray Knob about 12:30pm, dropped off some of my gear, paid Adam the caretaker and took just the essentials for a summit attempt of Adams, the day was clear but COLD. We started up at about 1 pm, it was tough going and slow going up above treeline, which is pretty immediately after GK. The winds were strong and steady and Donna and I were glad we had our crampons already on our feet. MadRiver and John had headed out minutes after us but were already pretty far ahead of us. At 2:30, an hour and a half after we left GK, we ran into them and Ryan, another hiker who was headed back from the summit. Donna and I were fighting the winds and getting knocked over frequently by gusts seemingly greater than 50 mph. I was exhausted and from Ryan description of the summit and the fact that we had progressed only about 0.7 mile of the 1.5 miles total distance in 1.5 hours and the daylight was the limiting factor, we turned around. I had that sinking feeling of disappointment in my stomach, that feeling of being so close yet so far away . . . that feeling that if only the body I had was stronger and more capable of this kind of adventure. An envy of Ryan, who had summated though he did say, he stayed 3 seconds, got knocked over and came crawling back down BUT still he made it and on this day the mountain would win . . . I knew we were making the right decision, it wasn’t even a question that we were turning around. I had known for almost a half hour that we weren’t making great progress against the wind even though it was at our back and my 3pm turn around time was fast approaching as was the setting sun. Mad River and John had also turned around (though a little further up from us). We all headed back down, and the gentlemen that they are, they waited a few times further down (I could catch a glimpse of them scanning the mountain for us) to make sure we were still making steady progress. The wind was stinging my eyes, and causing tears that blurred my vision but I was too cold and disappointed to stop and throw on goggles. We made it back to GK and my heart was heavy but I was glad to be safe and in the relative warmth. Even though the day was CLEAR and seemingly perfect I got a real sense of why these particular mountains are a place of fatalities. 1.5 miles to the summit, seems to little, so close, almost a “short” walk but it was brutal up there and that was on a” GOOD” day with no storms.

In any case I went up to set up my things and put on my down booties. When I got up there I told Donna to let me know when she was hungry for dinner so I can plan for the meal. Well, she said she wasn’t very hungry so I told her not to worry, that I was flexible and would work around her. I shared my hot chocolate from my thermos with her and she was complaining of a headache so I went looking for my Advil. After about 5 minutes, she said she was going to head downstairs and eat some cheese so I figured she must be hungry and so took my food stuff down there and set up my stove and started boiling water to make dinner. A few minutes later, I noticed she wasn’t feeling well and she was complaining about feeling ill and didn’t look so well. So I suggested she go lie down. Both she and I noticed the symptoms of dehydration setting in and she was trying to get some water down to make her body recover. When I suggested she go lie down, she immediately agreed and went back up to her sleeping bag. At this point I was starting to worry about her, and hoped whatever was happening could be fixed with food, water and rest. Well, downstairs, MadRiver, John and I were joking around and cooking dinner to share with each other and having a grand old time . . . They are GREAT people to be around and kept me laughing. When dinner was ready I went to see if Donna was ready to eat but she was still looking queasy and said she really wasn’t up to eating . . . well, I got her a bowl of rice and beans and told her she had to eat the entire thing and keep drinking water, which she was doing already. She slowly finished the bowl of food and passed on seconds. I left her to rest, feeling a little better myself that at least she had eaten the bowl of rice . . . I had an enjoyable meal downstairs with the guys, realizing part way through that I was the only woman downstairs in the common area (YIPPEEEE!!). I made some new friends as I handed out pieces of my Mom’s carrot cake to everyone (she made me take almost a quarter of the cake with me) . . . Adam, the caretaker got 2 pieces for being wonderful :) After dinner, I checked on Donna one more time, read until me fingers froze from holding the book and went to sleep about 8pm . . .

Woke up the next morning to clear skies, diminished winds, a revived Donna, and what looked to be a perfect day to attempt again to summit Adams. Well, since Donna was up for it we packed up essentials again and hit the trail at just past 8am after bidding farewell to Mad River (who was wonderful enough to get us 2 nalgenes of water from the spring) and John . . . summitted under PERFECT conditions at 10:30am . . . we had the summit to ourselves and a 360 degree views of the awesome terrain, the GREAT GULF, Jefferson, Madison, etc . . . Took a zillion pictures and got out of the cold winds in about 15 minutes. We must’ve missed Frodo and gang by a couple of hours . . . We stopped to snack a little at Thunderstorm junction and after speaking briefly to 3 good-looking Canadian men coming up the Spur trail from Crag Camp decided to descend via that route for a change of scenery . . . The trail was not fully broken out, though the 3 guys had passed through giving us a vague broken path. We descended through the quiet woods and deep snow to Crag Camp within 75-80 minutes from the summit and were back at Gray Knob by about 12:35pm . . . It was a FABULOUS summit, making it NH Winter Summit #2 . . .

We ate lunch and descended by mostly butt sliding back down. The trip up to GK took me almost 5 hours and the trip back down took me about 2.5 hours. I am thankful to the nice ladies who recovered gear strapped to my pack that fell off my pack during the butt sliding. Back down at Lowe’s store we paid for our parking, Donna unpacked and gave me my pack, we said our goodbyes and I got on my way, just in time to catch the most fiery sunset (when I get my camera figured out and a way to post pictures on one of these photo sites, I will post them). Thanks Donna, Mad River, John and Adam, I HAD a blast. See all ya others in a few days :)

sli74

I'm so glad you had such a great trip! And Donna, I'm glad you recovered as well. I almost always dehydrate myself on winter hikes, so I can relate to what you went through.

Are there pictures?
:D

Yeah there are pictures but since the camera is barely 2 weeks old I still have to figure out the downloading, saving and posting on a host site with the whole digital thing :D I won't have time till after the 4th of Jan but I will most definitely post them . . . Donna there are some avatar worthy pictures of you in there.

sli74

Thanks Seema

Seema is great to hike with. Thanks Seema for taking good care of me. It turns out I have the flu. I almost didn't make it home last night and I've been in bed all day today....

But, still looking forward to my great hiking trips this weekend.

I envy anyone hiking today... it's beautiful out there.

See you all on the trails.

donna

OH NO, NOT the FLU !!!!!

The particular strain of flu going around this year puts a real punch into its victims, I think 4 full days in bed is what I have heard. I am glad we got safely down off the mountain, you were terrific company and I LOVED our chat on the way down from Adams. Rest up and recoup so you can get back out there again. See you Sunday,

sli74

fun group

Sherpa, I have found a fun group of hikers. Thanks to all of you. I am having the best time of my life these days.

After Sunday, I'll have 9 NH 4kers done. I just decided to do them this December.

One more note about the flu and dehydration... It is critical to eat and drink during your hike. Because of the flu, I wasn't feeling hungry or thirsty... I should have made myself eat and drink.

If it wasn't for Seema insisting that I eat, I might not have made it to Adams.

And Arm has informed me that I have to make it up and down all my myself in order to count it as a completed 4ker. Man, what a glich.

donna

And finally one of the fiery sunset as I drove away from Lowe's store . . .

I have about 7-8 amazing sunset pictures but I chose one for right now and will hopefully figure out the web hosting stuff and get the others up soon.

Great report and sweet pics, Seema.

You're going to be in great shape for a run over the MacIntyres at the January ADK weekend.

Like most others do here, Webshots is very easy to put some free galleries into. Check out that site, and keep those pics coming.

Roy - it means Donna realizes the summit doesn't count if she's carried out on a litter with the flu...
:)

Hi Seema and Donna. I just returned from NH to CT and want to thank you both for a fun hike and evening at Gray Knob. I hope we can do it again in the not too distant future.

:)

Seema, I do not envy Adam at Gray Knob this weekend. Do you think he will start a fire?:)

Gray knob Stove

I bet he will start a fire prior to 5:00 pm. If anyone is heading that way, it would be nice to carry him a piece of fire wood.

Cold weekend coming up.

Great pictures :) Looks like you had great visibility on Adams.

Bob