Adirondack Suggestions Requested

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J.Dub said:
Eh. <shrugs>

The pizza I *do* remember being damned good was from a place on the east side of Main St. -- can't remember the name, but it was downstairs below street level near a open plaza between the storefronts, somewhat close to the EMS. My hiking partner and I scarfed down an entire large pie and a pitcher between the two of us and it was awesome!

ahhh yess that pizzeria. i think its called Arie's and its either just before or just after EMS depending on which way you are walking.

Lots of good stuff has been suggested. Here's a slightly different take:

In order to focus on the ADK rugged wilderness at full bore consider aiming for Basin. You can add on Haystack and Saddleback if you want.

Or, for even more of that wild feeling go up Sawteeth and follow the trail down to Upper Ausable Lake. From there take the trail up Bartlett Ridge and do Haystack. From Haystack head back down the range over as many or as few of the Great Range peaks as your legs can stand.

Check the second option out well on a map beforehand and make sure everyone in your group is game and willing to take on that much distance and vertical ascent.

Neil said:
Check the second option out well on a map beforehand and make sure everyone in your group is game and willing to take on that much distance and vertical ascent.
Neil's causing trouble - he's giving you a 50-mile option with a biz-illion feet of verticle!! :eek:

Bad boy!

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We opted not to go for big hikes, since there were other things we wanted to do. We had the pleasant experience of a brief snow shower on the way down from McKenzie Mt. This hike was impossible to pass up; the trailhead was within walking distance of our hotel. We were in awe of the enormous numbers of people we encountered during our descent from Phelps Mt, most of them speaking French.

Brats 'n' beers at Oktoberfest at Whiteface were pretty good, too. :p

OT: Is there a law in Québec that all the women must be gorgeous? Some sort of selective breeding program? Wow. :eek:

pilgrim said:
OT: Is there a law in Québec that all the women must be gorgeous? Some sort of selective breeding program? Wow. :eek:

bubba said:
OOhhhh... you must have seen the VFTT CDN babes. They're all gorgeous!!

Hang around - they're fun, too! :D

Yup. It's enough to make a real man want to migrate north, lol. ;) :D

Last edited:
Oldsmores said:
It's 1/2 hour to either end of the hike and 15 minutes between the trail heads, all on good roads. The Loj road isn't exactly I87 and will probably be fairly busy itself... :p
sorry for the hijack, but Oldsmores, I saw your Avatar...check this out...

P1010046.JPG

It looks like we were hiking up Marcy at the same time !

Chip said:
sorry for the hijack, but Oldsmores, I saw your Avatar...check this out...

P1010046.JPG

It looks like we were hiking up Marcy at the same time !
LOL, mine's actually on Algonquin... that day still ranks as one of my all-time favorite days in the mountains.

Adirondack Day Hikes

OK- so many great places to go- so little time.

Already so many good suggestions- here's mine, for what it's worth..

Casacde and Porter- well- I don't think that you can get more "bang for your buck". Great views with out a long approach hike. You will certainly have lots of company on Casacde- less on Porter. With two cars you can easily include Blueberry and at least for part of your hike you will feel like the woods are all your own.

Sawteeth- from the Ausable Clubs property. Longish flat walk in along the Ausable River, during which you will see your destination, at least part way. Not as crowded as the Great Range/Johns Brook Valley which is just over the Range. Wonderful Range views, etc. And, you can go over to Gothics and do part, or all of the Great Range and make a loop of it.