Adk "Ultramarathon"... wish us luck!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, WalksWithBlackflies, I saw the article in the Post Standard yesterday and wondered if it was someone from VFTT who was planning this insanity. :eek:

Best of luck to you, safety and success too.

Everything about this hike is totally cool. You guys have definitely done your homework. May the weather gods be on your side!

Hey Rico-

Good Luck Dude !

perhaps a couple additional words on the end of day 9 ?

Kevins wife to pick us up at the Loj.... and take us to the nearest 24 hour pizzaria that serves cold beer and has a hot tub !

Clay

Rico-

Can't wait to read the TR on this one. Best of luck!

“May the trail rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your tent." - with apologies to the Irish.

Mark

oh, to be young again! :D
I used to do back to back high peaks, now I need a day of rest in between. :eek:
I wish you luck.

P.S: Walkswithblackflies is a great "handle".

Last edited:
Did I miss something??

WWB and Kevin -- hope you both are well and have brought away with you a positive experience -- don't give up the dream! Next time out you'll have a more refined plan and will get closer to your goal.

:)

An Abyssmal Failure

Long story short...

MudRat had problems on Day 1, and we needed to camp along the trail halfway up Cascade. The next morning, MudRat decided to turn back, and I continued on solo. Fast forward to Day 3... I had an accident while bushwhacking off Nye to Wanika Falls. I hiked into Duck Hole, and decided that continuing on solo was just too risky. I hiked out to the Loj yesterday morning, and drove home yesterday evening. Physically, I am 100% fine... but I am still extremely distraught, and don't feel like writing the details... maybe sometime over the next couple weeks.

Lest I forget, I'd like to give special kudos to:

Tom Pinkerton, with whom I shared the lean-to at Duck Hole. Thanks for helping me take my mind off the day's failure. I may not have shown it, but I was an emotional wreck when I arrived.

Hawk for his Hawk Vittles... by far the most excellent meals I've had in the backcountry.

EMS, who stepped up without being asked, and provided some last-minute items.

Last edited:
Ummmm.... wow.

Well, I for one don't need to hear the nitty-gritty details of what went wrong. This was a big undertaking and I commend you for organizing it, scouting out many (if not all) of the routes, and doing so much logistical planning... that is frequently why so many adventures like this fail.

It sounds like you were fit enough to complete this had things gone as planned.

What I would like to know is, what did you take from this experience, and what would you do differently next time?

Much respect for giving it an honest shot and having the gumption to come on here and admit to failure. Hey, your website did specify "The Continuing MISadventures..." ;) :D

albee said:
Much respect for giving it an honest shot and having the gumption to come on here and admit to failure.

Ditto.

Like was said. It sounded very well planned and you guys were physically prepared. Glad the both of you are OK and because you are, you know what that means. You get to attempt it again at another time if you want.

Personally I would not mind hearing what you would change, if anything and the events but it is very much up to you.

It was a very ambitious trip. I definitely can see the appeal. Again, glad you guys are ok and best of luck next time.

Keith

I just had a chance to catch up on this. Its very kewl that you gave this a shot in a major way.

Last edited: