Affordable yet good quality crampons??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought my first pair of crampons. I really just needed something cheap so I got these. They're just for general use, I'm not sure how they will work out but for $18 I'll give them a shot.

JJD said:
I just bought my first pair of crampons. I really just needed something cheap so I got these. They're just for general use, I'm not sure how they will work out but for $18 I'll give them a shot.
This is a good price, especially if it's good steel. Do they come with straps?

My guess is any of these will work great. Whatever you do, just don't wait!!! I was paralyzed (okay, that's a little strong) for the past two years with too many choices of winter gear, I mean, don't even get me started on snowshoes! Just go out there, buy something that won't break the bank that's got some recommendations here and have fun. I bet they won't be your last crampons if you enjoy winter hiking.

I'm so glad I finally just said what the heck and bought something...snowshoes and crampons. Now, anytime I want it's throw the stuff in the pack and head out into winter! It's fabulous! And...once you do own them, don't be afraid to pull them out of the pack and USE them!

Jen

The trouble with ordering through the mail

Just remember that some crampons do not fit very well on some boots. The only way to be sure is to take your winter boots to the store with you and actually see how the crampons fit. I learned this one the hard way.

Also, by going to the store, you can get a salesperson to show you the correct way to put them on. With hinged, strap-ons this may not be obvious even with the pathetic excuse for "instructions" that come with.

Kevin Rooney said:
This is a good price, especially if it's good steel. Do they come with straps?

I haven't received them yet, but I don't think they come with straps. I've been scheming in my head all week trying to think what will be the best way to go about straps. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

JJD said:
I haven't received them yet, but I don't think they come with straps. I've been scheming in my head all week trying to think what will be the best way to go about straps. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.
You might give Sam's a call - they have stores in Brattleboro & Keene. Typically those style of crampons use a neoprene strap, and some of the "old-fashioned" wood snowshoes used neoprene as well. I know I've seen them in the Brattleboro store in the past. You might be able to find some at Ragged Mountain in Intervale (just north of N. Conway) but that's a bit of a haul from N. Andover.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Kevin

PS - If you get neoprene, be sure to re-tighten them after about 30 minutes of use. Neoprene stretches - always - regardless of temps. Nature of the material. Less chance of popping of if you always remember to tighten them at least once.

Kevin Rooney said:
You might give Sam's a call - they have stores in Brattleboro & Keene. Typically those style of crampons use a neoprene strap, and some of the "old-fashioned" wood snowshoes used neoprene as well. I know I've seen them in the Brattleboro store in the past. You might be able to find some at Ragged Mountain in Intervale (just north of N. Conway) but that's a bit of a haul from N. Andover.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Kevin

PS - If you get neoprene, be sure to re-tighten them after about 30 minutes of use. Neoprene stretches - always - regardless of temps. Nature of the material. Less chance of popping of if you always remember to tighten them at least once.

Actually, I'm going to be up near Intervale this weekend. I might have to pop into Ragged Mountain.

I'm going to give this method from Steve Eckert using nylon webbing a try. If that doesn't work out I'll have to look into the neoprene straps.

JJD said:
Actually, I'm going to be up near Intervale this weekend. I might have to pop into Ragged Mountain.

I'm going to give this method from Steve Eckert using nylon webbing a try. If that doesn't work out I'll have to look into the neoprene straps.
Thanks for posting the link. Nylon absorbs water and will freeze but as long as the straps are snugged up before that happens you should be fine. If Ragged doesn't have neoprene then their basement has an excellent selection of 1/2" strap and fasteners.

Hey kmorgan, I broke my aa10's last week on panther, same thing , the bar. I picked up a piece of 3/4 stock steel band/bar, with holes,a screw a lock nut, and I was back on them Monday. A little heavier, but sturdy. I'm still waiting to hear from aa about replacements. Welcome to the site.

Grivel G-10s are my first and are very easy to strap up. Others have already mentioned price range.

I got my crampons today from Sportsman's Guide, there really isn't much to them beyond what is stated on the website. I guess the only thing I can really add is that I weighed them and they came out to 1.73 pounds for the pair.

They seem like they are a good option for general purpose low-cost crampons. I'll see how they fare this weekend.

I got to use my $18 crampons for the first time this weekend up in the Moats. I have to say, they worked just fine. I simply bought some 3/4"x60" straps with a plastic buckle from REI and strapped them up like shown in the link above.

The strapping system worked fairly well, there are some bugs to work out though. The 60" straps were just long enough to get around my size 12 Merrell leathers, which made it difficult to cinch them down enough. On the way up they came loose a few times allowing my foot to slip out, which is quite frustrating. When we were heading back on Sunday I was very careful strapping them up, I made sure they were tight all the way around and I used the pliers on my Leatherman to pull the little piece of strap that was peeking through the buckle. I also threaded the straps underneath my boot laces to keep them from shifting like they had done the day before. This proved to be much more effective. I didn't have any problems with my feet slipping out on Sunday.

I plan to keep my eyes open for some easier to use options, but the one strap method certainly is OK if you are careful about tightening them up. Overall, they are definitely worth the $25 I spent on them.

Love my Grivel G-10s. One little initial problem tho if you have small feet: two rivets needed to be popped and reset to fit my size 6 feet.