AFTER Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Do You Like To Eat And Drink After a Hike?

• A hot meal and a cold alcoholic beverage

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • A hot meal and a cold non-alcoholic beverage

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • A cold meal (some sort of salad) and a hot beverage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cold meal and a cold alcoholic beverage

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • A cold meal and a cold non-alcoholic beverage

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • other (please specify with a post)

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WhiteMTHike said:
Mcdonalds Filet-O-fish? well to each his own. I think the guy in my avatar would appreciate me bringing that home. I agree with the Common Man, beautiful atmosphere and good home cooked tasting food. Yes a little pricey as well. Another favorite of mine is the William Tell, not far from Welch-Dickey. After a hike on that trail I like to stop there and have either a fondue or some schnitzel. The schnitzel is as good as I had in Germany. Ah the memories. :)

...have'nt visited the William Tell yet but certainly will... another good place (if you're in Southern NH) is Silo's Steakhouse in Merrimack,(Exit 12 Rte. 3) (not far from Pack Monadnock) this place has killer steaks and a raw bar! as for the Filet-O-Fish I don't know it just hits the spot! I can't bring myself to eat any of their burgers so I get the fish, it might be pollock for all I know, but they are so good.

A honkin' big veggie bean and cheese burrito and a glass of cold water followed by a triple cappuccino for the ride home.....
I guess that would be hot-cold-hot.....

I'd have to go with some vanilla bread pudding after a burger at the Common Man in Ashland, especially after bagging a peak in the Sandwich Range. Who wouldn't be hungry after that?

I'm hoping to get up to hike Old Speck this year so I could toast the occasion with an "Old Speckled Hen" pint can afterwards!

Am I the only nut that likes to boil water (still on the camp stove of course) and make some bullion or Ramen Noodles???? Call me crazy, call me cooky but I love to cook outside. There is something about grit and pine needles in my meals that I love....

Not into the post hike beer. Usually trail water mixed Gatorade....savor the iodine tinted lemon-lime flavor!

Once home.....rummage. Usually something crunchy (why does EVERYTHING get soggy on the trail) carrots, salad, potatoes (lots of 'em)

Towards the end of the trail..
I'm thinkin' 'bout drinkin' in Lincoln! A cold Tucks'!!

Hanging out at the Common Man after a long winter trail is the way to go. It's always fun when you get to talking with folks there during ski season. They ask where you stayed,and you say"in my tent". Then you get :eek:

Gordi's,Woodstock Inn,Truants,all great places too.

nord-mex

Forget gatorade - you can replentish your electrolytes with a margarita (rocks & salt!) and nachos at Cafe Noche (conway). The service has been awful the last few times I've been there, but the food is still good.

dentonfabrics said:
....get a slab of salmon, dust it with lemon pepper, and stick it under the broiler. Then dice a slice of red onion, cover it with shoestring carrots and top that with soy nuts, minced garlic, and some olive oil to carmelize it, and stick the whole thing on tinfoil under the broiler next to the salmon.

Then, go to the fridge and grab a Blue Moon and pour it into a frosted mug along with a lemon wedge. Repeat when necessary.

mmmm....lemon wedge........

cheers,
denton fabrics

I'll be over for dinner after my next hike!!!! Yum!!!

One of my favorite parts of a long hike is toward the end of the day when I start to dream up what I want for dinner. How good it will all taste, the beer/wine/r&c/g&t/margarita whatever my coice of poison post hike. The post hike meal is pretty critical for me in the overall picutre of my hike. No matter what it is, it never disappoints becuase I'm always in such a fantastic state of mind after a long day of hiking that everything else just feels perfect and my meal/beverage just gives me time to reflect on that!!!

easy way out

Most often, because I tend to overpack everything including food, I end up finishing off the leftovers in my pack (that don't have to be cooked) on the drive home (pepperoni, cheese, sourdough, trail mix, etc.). Then, at home, a shower, whatever is for dinner that night and a glass or two of red wine. Then, oblivion.

After hike is as variable as the Northeast weather...

Double Bow said:
After a good hike, I usually go for either a steak or a burger and a cold beer. Although, last Friday after the Hancocks, I had a cup of Chicken and Corn Chowder and a Croute Route Wellington at the Woodstock Inn and cold beer (don't want to change things up too much!). :D

After my Hancocks loop last week, it was a Calamari and Croute Route combo ... and more than one cold beer. :D

But directly after the hike, in the car waiting is:

1. Endurox for muscle therapy
2. Salty Snack for the salty taste buds
3. Chocolate for the sweet taste buds, and various other senses.

The dinner entree is almost always hot, salad is always cold, and the soups may be either, depending on if the day's weather calls for it.

The one constant remains: The size of the hike dictates the size of the meal. And the amount of cold beer consumed!

Doc McPeak said:
The one constant remains: The size of the hike dictates the size of the meal. And the amount of cold beer consumed!

I LOVE THIS QUOTE!! :D

Almost always the Steak and Shrimp at CAMERON'S in Lake Placid. Washed down with a couple of pints of Saranac beer. Missed out a few weeks ago though, as we finished our hike too early and it wasn't open. Won't make that mistake again. ;)

Toe Cozy said:
One of my favorite parts of a long hike is toward the end of the day when I start to dream up what I want for dinner. How good it will all taste, the beer/wine/r&c/g&t/margarita whatever my coice of poison post hike. The post hike meal is pretty critical for me in the overall picutre of my hike.

GOTTA AGREE! I was talking with one guy who says he starts speeding up at the end of a hike just because he is dreaming of food. As for me, I tend to speed up at any part of a hike dreaming of food.

As always, I rate my food on mass, weight and volume.....if it tastes good, all the better!! A huge ice cream is something I typical crave after coming off the trail.....

Chocolate Milk, which I never drink otherwise. I can down two quarts after a death march, during a long ride. I feel immediately better.

Chocomike

i'm with brother kitteredge--spaghetti (for me, sans meatballs) and plenty of it. sometimes i eat a whole pound package. i like the de cecco perciatelli thick spaghetti noodles. i'll have a few beers before and during cooking. (rule of thumb--1 beer for each mile hiked (to a point!)). then with the spaghetti, i'll have a bottle of whatever dry red is on sale (moore's creek australian shiraz this week--but any zinfandel is my favorite generally). oh yeah, and a whole clear flour bakery baguette.

then, i look at any pictures i may have taken and pass out.

if i'm stayin' overnight, i go to moat mountain brew pub cause their beer is great and the food even better. (i mostly just sit at the bar and drink beer and eat appetizers. crab cakes and quesadillas with the mango salsa are really good).

as you can tell, i only hike in order to have an excuse to have a few drinks. only reason! why would anyone go hikin' anyway? i mean without the promise of extreme intoxication at the end. huh? why? tell me, o ye who gave me a cute li'l red square for what was obviously an exagerrated account. hast thou no sense o' humor? or dost thou be a teetotaler? in which case, i don't trust you anyway! :D :p ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
How About Nothing

Ugh, I have to chime in here -- I usually can't eat anything for a day or so after long hikes. I need to eat a lot during winter hikes but summer hikes -- even 20 mile ones, I rarely ever eat although I drink tons of water. I did the Bonds the other day (23+ miles) and only ate a handful of M&M's and felt fine. However, afterwards I don't have any appetite. Usually on the ride home I'll eat a handful of something disgusting like combos (and then I give the rest of them to my pet mice as they're so gross. The mice don't even like them much). Generally I won't be hungry -- not even for a beer -- until sometime the next day.

-Dr. Wu

Good God, no one on this forum has mentioned "The Station" yet?? What's wrong with you people!! :p

It's either the Station and a brew and some grub or a beer or wine and some grub at the Common Man.

MMmmm, beer. But water first.