Algonquin Trail.....very scenic :)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
BeccaM and I hiked a loop up the Algonquin Trail to Sandwich Dome, down the Black Mtn. Pond Trail, and out along the Guinea Pond Trail...

the very scenic Algonquin Trail first runs through a beautiful stand of beech...

bear claw marks on a beech trunk, going for beech nuts...

IMG_1758aaa.jpg

just above where the beech gives way to coniferous forest, we had the pleasure of spotting three moose.... two bulls and a cow were about 100' from the trail...we got to see them through the trees for a while until they trotted away.....very nice...

IMG_1773aaa.jpg

Becca wanted to go to the summit of Black Mtn., which is not far from the trail...so up we went. This marker is at the summit...can anyone translate exactly what is recorded here?

IMG_1783aaa.jpg

a view ledge near the summit has spectacular 180 views...

IMG_1797aaa.jpg

as the AT climbs above the saddle with Black Mtn., it runs over lots of ledge with endless views in most directions...

this view is across Welsh/Dicky to Mt. Moosilaukee...my favorite part is the patch of beech still holding onto autumn with those beautiful golden colors...

IMG_1810aaa.jpg

IMG_1826aaa.jpg

IMG_1832aaa.jpg

Becca had to go over to Sandwich Dome for her red lining thing...there is snow, with some foot-deep drifts, but not too bad right now. I showed Becca to spot moose hair on branches over moose trails; she spotted these right in the trail after I walked right past it without noticing....that hurt...

IMG_1848aaa.jpg

views from ledges along the Black Mtn. Trail...

IMG_1852aaa.jpg

along the Guinea Pond Trail.....late afternoon on a beautiful late autumn day in the Sandwich Range....sweeeeeeet...

IMG_1885aaa.jpg

happy trails

Last edited:
RM = "Reference Mark"

That was one, of probably several, markers indicating where the actual survey benchmark is located. In this case, as Jason notes, 13.22 feet away on a bearing of N35W, or 325°.

In the past, the USFS commonly uses "witness markers" placed on several trees surrounding a boundary point. These are typically metal plates embossed with the distance to the surveyed boundary marker. The "RM" pipe would be a more durable and accurate form of witness marker, not being subject to the condition of the tree to which the metal plate is attached.

AWESOME pictures, and neat find...the witness marker. I think that is what it is.

I've been wanting to hit the Algonquin Trail for a bit, and you picked an "11" out of 10 day. Unreal views.

The boundary for the Sandwich Range Wilderness takes a sharp turn from the SW to the NW towards Bald Knob at the summit of Black.

Algonquin Trail. Another great trail, you've had a good week, sir!

I don't know what the markings mean, but I know the Algonquin Trail is a gem, one of my favorites in the Whites.

I'm hiking vicariously through trip reports this year, and yours are always among my favorites. Feels like I'm right there on the trail myself when I view photo reports from you and the many other hikers on this site who post such amazing trip reports. You all know who you are. ;)

Thanks and please keep them coming.