Allen ????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
After my question about Marshall I start an other thread on another summit. (We have done Marshall, friday june 27)

Is it that someone has recent informations on Allen, as like the trail conditions, details, etc?
This will be our next destination for our #45 and I'd like to have a few details.

Allen

Great post, as we are wondering this as well. We are looking to do Allen this coming Friday.

Any info would be appreciated.

I am not yet certain when we will do so. It all depends on the weather, etc...... We will decide it later this week.

Nice hike and report, Yvon.
I had trouble viewing your photos yesterday, but today I got the slide show. Sorry the summit weather was wet. But of course better to hike under a cloud than inside one.

My Marshall hike was via southwest Indian Pass and so included the Summit Rock. The Rock can also be done while day-hiking Indian Pass (and Wallface Ponds) from the Loj. But the approach is rough and steep, even from the northeast.

I also have 2 to go: Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstrong !! Then, naturally, a "victory lap" over Gothics/Pyramid. Maybe this Fall.

Bon chance.

MR

yvon said:
I am not yet certain when we will do so. It all depends on the weather, etc...... We will decide it later this week.
Maybe you have already posted this, but what will be #46?

Yvon, reaching Allen Mt summit is a long (20 miles +) but simple trek involving less than 3000' of ascent. You will have no problem finding the temporary crossing and it will be necessary to remove your boots, still crossing the Opalescent (aka East River) will be fast and very safe. At this time water levels are very low so the further along the way crossing of Twin Brooks and Skylight Brook should be a breeze. The real steep climbing will start about .65-mile from Skylight Brook at Allen Falls; from there to the summit is another 1.2-mile of real climbing. The first section till the slide is at times extremely slippery, upon reaching the steep open slabs you will cross it and enter the woods for another shorter but still steep climb to the summit ridge, upon reaching the ridge you will take a left. There are two lookouts near the summit, one towards the Boreas Pond and the other towards Panther Gorge and good views here and there as you will walk along from the trailhead.

I was up Allen in November 2003 and still have photos in my online photoalbum, if'n your interested in taking a look at them. The view(s) couldn't have been any better than the day I was up there...
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/102558334ifemOK

The wife and I are heading up to the Daks this weekend to do some kayaking...and I hope to talk her into goin on a dayhike to hit a 46er (possibly Giant) as I'm a little over halfway towards climbing them all.

Thank you very much Christine for those informations. Also thank you Buddur for the photos. But I dont think we will fond snow on our way. :)

Tom Rankin said:
Cool place to finish! I'm sure you will publicize it! :D

Yes, that what why I chose Dix.
Yes I will probably put a note, a little in advance, on the forums. We want nice weather for our 46th. I already have an email list to send invitations. Do you want to come you and Laurie. We will be happy to see you up there for that special day.

Yvon, have you read the Philémon comics (bande dessiné) from France?

If so, I hope we will meet up on the letter A of Allen. I have always held a soft spot in my heart for the letter A of Allen.

Take note that evil forces await the unwitting traveler on the second L of Allen.

Incidentally, Allen is a wee bit long, but it is quite easy.

Neil said:
Yvon, have you read the Philémon comics (bande dessiné) from France?

If so, I hope we will meet up on the letter A of Allen. I have always held a soft spot in my heart for the letter A of Allen.

Take note that evil forces await the unwitting traveler on the second L of Allen.

Incidentally, Allen is a wee bit long, but it is quite easy.

Thank you Neil, I will tell you more about Allen sunday. The last sentence will encourage Annie.
And I never read the Philémon comics.

yvon said:
Neil,
Which one of the 46, you have find the more difficult?
Allen. It was so-o-o-o frickin hard. I though t I was going to die.

:D :D :D

The toughest of all in my particular case was Marshall. That is because we began with the Wright slide bushwhack and ended up on Marshall. Then we had to hike back to the Loj.

Emmons was pretty tough too because of the forehead deep snow. OK, knee deep.

A lot of Allen is easy and level road walking. Then you have a 2000 foot climb to a great summit.

Make sure and explore the summit area so as to take in the views of Skylight, Boreas, Wolf Pond and cie.

You are so close you can almost taste it. :)