Alternative to Fleece Jacket?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the new lighweight puffs that are out. I have a Patagonia jacket and vest, but I know TNF and Marmot (at least make them). They pack down to about a Nalgene bottle, are lighter, and warmer.

Check out MontBell for high quality UL insulation..Down or synthetic

I have found that a wool shirt packs well and even the fine Pendletons are competitively priced against some of the fleece.

Are the Ibex wool sweaters any good? I've never seen one, so don't know how they pack.

I like a good mid weight wool sweater, tightly knit. You might find just the ticket at a secondhand GoodWill or Salvation Army store. If you can score an older genuine Cashmere sweater you will be golden. These can be very warm and quite comfy as an against-the-skin layer.

Supplement, perhaps, with a lightweight wool shirt, perhaps found while shopping for the sweater.

I find wool especially comforting if there is some dampness in the air.

G.

primaloft

The best fleece alternative I have is an REI brand hooded ultralight primaloft jacket with thin pertex exterior. It is lighter than any of my fleece layers, my Montbell down jacket, etc. and packs tiny. I have used it as both a midlayer to actually hike in when real cold and as a summit jacket when stopping. Unfortunately, the thin shell is now duct taped in a few places and may not survive too much longer. It is no longer made and i'm having a tough time finding an equivalent jacket that is so lightweight.

It is much nicer carrying in a pack than any of my fleece layers. Over 20 degrees and it is too warm when moving but great between 15 and 40 when resting.

Thank you everyone for your input, especially about MontBell, I had not heard of them before.

For those who are curious, my decision ended up mostly based on cost. I was looking at MountBell products in backcountrygear.com and found last years Marmot DriClime jacket at $66, so I decided to order that, figuring at that price I could always find some use for it. Of course they were out of stock.

I continued searching in REI and found last years Mountain Hardware Compressor jacket (without hood) for $120 (regular $170), applying my dividend made it $20, so I went with that jacket.

I was really impressed with the MontBell Thermawrap Pants (for next years winter backpacking season) so I also got a pair of them at about 30% off.

My wife is still giving me a hard time for not going with the wool.

I was really impressed with the MontBell Thermawrap Pants (for next years winter backpacking season) so I also got a pair of them at about 30% off.

My wife is still giving me a hard time for not going with the wool.

You won't regret the Thermawraps..They keep me warm well into single digits and are real comfy inside your sleeping bag