Alternative to Goggles for above Timberline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for an alternative to ski goggles for use above timberline in cold and windy conditions? I can't stand bringing those things along. I do bring them, but there must be a better alternative. They're big, bulky, and you can't just throw them in your pack anywhere. Not to mention that I can't stand wearing them. Anyone have experience with this Ekynox Mask from Rudy Project? Or perhaps something similar? What I'm really looking for is something that can serve as all of the following:

1) sunglasses,
2) eye protection for bushwhacks, and
3) wind and cold protection above timberline

Also, anyone have any experience with nose guards built into their goggles? And, do the built in nose guards lead to less fogging than wearing a face mask and goggles?

-John

John, I have a pair of safety glasses from work that I use for eye protection. They are more of a modern design than the "nerdy" look that is traditional. Like a wraparound style. I use them for bushwacks and windy areas. They get a lot of use during winter bike rides when the temps are low enough to otherwise hurt my eyes. They easily fit in my chest pocket in my shell. I also have a similar pair that are tinted but I really dislike wearing tinted glasses unless the sun is extremely bright.

I would second Mark's suggestion. You can probably make a nose guard and then a nice balaclava to go to cover the rest of your face.

I have used ski googles myself on my winter bike commute, but it's more of a fog proof thing than the wind. I don't seem to mind the wind chill on days above 0degF. I've commuted in 4°F weather to work this past winter without much a problem in ski googles.

Jay

Glacier glasses have the added benefit of me being able to remove the side shields when it's clear and sunny. But on days when it's cold and windy, and brain freeze is common, nothing beats goggles.

The problem with anything but goggles (and believe me I hate them, being a wearer of spectacles!) is frostbite. Many have had the experience of getting frostbite on the tiny strip of exposed skin not covered by mask or goggles, whether on the cheeks or even the temples.

At -40 with 40 mph winds, they really mean what they say about not exposing ANY skin!

Johnny: I use Julba Sherpa (no surprise there) glacier glasses most of the time. As other have said, they are not nearly as useful for long exposed sections where frostbite is an issue. I find, however, that I were them at all other times.

Glasses

As an option to goggles or if you just want some type of eye protection, I picked up a couple of pairs of saftey glasses at Home Depot. Not your typical HS Shop class kind. These are more like sport glasses. Wrap around style, flexible plastic frame, large comfortable nose piece, UV protection. I have an amber and yellow lenses, as well as clear. Cost about $10 -$12 per pair

Yeah... but what about us who wear glasses? Never found anything that really works, and the condensation that inevitably gets inside makes it more dangerours than the frigid temps outside.

Maybe I'll go out and buy an astronaut helmet.

oldfogie said:
Yeah... but what about us who wear glasses? Never found anything that really works, and the condensation that inevitably gets inside makes it more dangerours than the frigid temps outside.

You can have another pair of glasses made up with small frames. Just bring your goggles ot the optometrist and make sure the frames fit into the goggles.

Tom

ps Love your signature line (my trail name is Frosty) and I use a similar signature line in another forum. I'd use it here but I signed up with user name Tom and haven't figured out how to change user name yet.

I've had very limited success using glasses under goggles. Go with contacts and glacier glasses or goggles, thereby eliminating 2 surfaces that can (and will) fog over. There is something to be said for being able to remove any eye covering (albeit for a short time) to get a better look. If you are wearing glasses, you cannot do that, and still see (if you are as near sighted as I am!)

for those who wear glasses...

i wear glasses and have the same problems. pennys often has 1/2 price sales on their eyewear and they carry some pretty neat looking sports glasses you can get with your prescription. also empire vision had some cool looking ones. this summer i am definitely getting a pair of swim goggles with my prescription - gettin old and losing your sight really stinks :rolleyes: