AMC survey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveHiker said:
I've always thought it would be nice to have some mileages shown on the maps.

Like the MapAdventures tyvek map.

That's what I put on my survey, w/that ref.

Thanks for the link, I think that they are asking some good questions. And they know that VFTT exists as a site for trail information!

Another vote for MapAdventures

SteveHiker said:

Yeah, snap.

I do my research with the WMG, but I use the MapAdventures map both for research and on the trail. Somewhat bulkier, much much better. Easier to read, mileages right there, viewpoints, treeline, precise locations on sites, very durable.

Thanks for the link; will check it out.

--M.

Last edited:
I forgot to put it in the survey, but I also like the fact that the MapAdventures map has a star symbol for the good view points. It's a little subjective, but still a nice feature.

I think some of the options that are being explored are excellent....
Impressed that they are reaching out for feedback and listed VFTT under choices for where one gets their hiking/trail info from......

...jade

Speaking of the AMC, where was that picture taken that was on the cover of that insert from a couple issues of "Outdoors" ago? It showed someone apparently walking on a ledge on a cliff. I thought it might be the Precipice Trail, but a wooden platform visible in the photo was too decrepit-looking for the Precipice Trail.

SteveHiker said:

That could be cool but with the scale(s) currently used for the included maps I think the maps would get cluttered and readability would be compromised.

As for photocopying or lugging the whole heavy book...I keep the previous edition and rip out the relevant pages for any hike I'm going on. I compare the descriptions at home to make sure there are no major changes...a lesson learned the hard way :eek:
-vegematic

vegematic said:
That could be cool but with the scale(s) currently used for the included maps I think the maps would get cluttered and readability would be compromised.

The scale's not all that different, but that is a good point. They do get a little carried away in places on the Map Adventures, but I still find it a lot more handy to have little numbers on the map than not.

The AMC maps need to be standard scale with more detail. Needs UTM coordinates with 1000 meter grids all the way across the map. If they need to make the maps bigger or break the areas into several maps so they have the resolution and detail that I think the maps need than that is fine with me. I also only buy the tyvek maps. I sometimes read descriptions in the book but never carry it with me.

Just off the top of my head quick and IMHO.

Keith

my map has the campsites on them - the newer ones don't - put them back on!!!

and charging money for the online access - no thank you - I will read the map. - kind of like mapquest for the mountains :mad: :mad: :mad:

SteveHiker said:

I've spoken to Larry Garland about this and part of the concern about this is related to the scale of the map. They would need to be larger for it "to work". Take a look at Rattlesnake Mtn (near Squam Lake) or the trails in Waterville Valley to see what he means. I hope that it does happen. It would make planning things much easier!

Double Bow said:
I've spoken to Larry Garland about this and part of the concern about this is related to the scale of the map. They would need to be larger for it "to work". Take a look at Rattlesnake Mtn (near Squam Lake) or the trails in Waterville Valley to see what he means. I hope that it does happen. It would make planning things much easier!

note I did say "some". those shorter trails might not make as much sense. You can always take things to an extreme and make any idea look like a bad idea. (like adding in the distance to Shining Rock from the Falling Waters Trail, for example). Overall though, I still think it would be nice to have.

28th edition

Another addition already? I just got the 27th edition this year.